Gransnet forums

Gardening

Can I bring my lawn back to life?

(15 Posts)
Lipstick Thu 24-Mar-22 13:11:16

Thanks for all the tips. I live in the wet West coast of Scotland. I’m not looking for a bowling green finish just a half decent lawn

shysal Thu 24-Mar-22 12:51:29

MayBee70

I’ve had the worst moss problem on my crazy paving (alas I still have crazy paving: maybe it will come back into fashion one day…) this year. Last year I had moss growing between the slabs which I removed with one of those wire brushes, but this year it’s been like a green slime everywhere and is very slippy. I don’t know what to use on it as the dog needs to go into the back garden. I’m hoping some dry weather will kill it off.

'Wet and Forget' or similar product will get rid of your moss and slime. I spray on finely in the spring and one treatment lasts for at least a year. Also useful for green algae on walls, sheds and fences. I do it on a warm dry day so that is dries before my cats walk on it. I can't remember what the blurb says regarding pets. Good luck!

shysal Thu 24-Mar-22 12:45:39

Casdon

I haven’t heard of MoBacter, does it feed the thatch back into the soil as well as the moss? If it does it would be a huge time saver?

Yes, all thatch is digested back into the soil. The product is available on Amazon.

silverlining48 Thu 24-Mar-22 12:45:22

Dh has a push thing like a mower ( sorry forget the name) which drags up all the old thatch in the lawn. He cuts it again and the new grass grows through, it always looks nice .

Whitewavemark2 Thu 24-Mar-22 10:47:39

MayBee70

I’ve had the worst moss problem on my crazy paving (alas I still have crazy paving: maybe it will come back into fashion one day…) this year. Last year I had moss growing between the slabs which I removed with one of those wire brushes, but this year it’s been like a green slime everywhere and is very slippy. I don’t know what to use on it as the dog needs to go into the back garden. I’m hoping some dry weather will kill it off.

One of those high powered water jets will do the trick. We do ours and brush as we go.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 24-Mar-22 10:46:25

Spike it.

Using a garden fork. Dig down and gently lift the turf slightly. Sprinkle with lawn sand as you go and brush in.

If it is permanently in shade you can buy grass seed for shade, but sometimes it is better to call it a day unless you like moss. The blackbirds seem to collect it for their nests. I would have thought it would have been a tad damp for the chicks.

MayBee70 Thu 24-Mar-22 10:42:32

Casdon Thu 24-Mar-22 10:32:14

I haven’t heard of MoBacter, does it feed the thatch back into the soil as well as the moss? If it does it would be a huge time saver?

shysal Thu 24-Mar-22 10:14:20

Another Mo Bacter fan here! I treat my grass in the autumn and spring and get little moss since starting to use it a few years ago. I never need to scarify so worth the expense.

Coastpath Thu 24-Mar-22 10:07:42

Moss likes compacted, damp areas so the best way to permanently reduce the moss in your lawn is to aerate it. I do this by going over the whole lawn with a fork making drainage holes every autumn, then I sprinkle sharp sand everywhere. It's ok if you have a smallish lawn but a big task otherwise.

I don't use chemicals of any sort so this works for me and every year the moss gets noticeably less without having that 'big dead patches' look you get using other methods.

Baggs Thu 24-Mar-22 09:31:40

A lawn full of moss is not dead. Also, mosses are generally green. What I'm saying is why don't people like moss? Approximately half our lawns consist of mosses, mostly Springy Turf moss. It's lovely stuff and can be mown just like grass, ergo no problem.

Mind you, we do live in what is essentially a temperate rainforest area of Britain. I suppose if you're down in the dry south.....

Georgesgran Thu 24-Mar-22 09:10:53

I’ve bought a bag of Richard Jackson’s moss remover from QVC - non-chemical and safe around pets and children. Apparently it contains a lot of nitrogen which feeds the grass, but overfeeds the moss which then dies, leaving no black patches to rake out. I say ‘apparently’ because I haven’t used it yet (needs rain a few days after application) and I might just be gullible!!

tanith Thu 24-Mar-22 09:08:17

I buy MoBacter moss remover. Its organic and it doesn't turn the moss black it just rots away and feeds the grass as well.

Casdon Thu 24-Mar-22 09:03:11

I rake first, to get rid of any old thatch from last years grass and surface moss. It’s hard work, I’ve got an electric scarifier now which makes it easier, so I’d recommend borrowing one if you can. The lawn sand then works slowly to eradicate any remaining moss, but you have to do it a few times over the summer if you have a lot of moss.

Lipstick Thu 24-Mar-22 08:22:26

After a very wet winter my lawn is a disaster. Bought some lawn sand but should I rake the moss give it a light cut then put the sand down or cut first put sand down then rake the moss as it turns brown. What to do!