Gransnet forums

Gardening

Rose propagation

(8 Posts)
Esmay Fri 15-Apr-22 15:17:00

Does anyone propagate roses ?

I was taught to do them in sharp sand cutting each one from a healthy stem to about 9", plunging in hormone rooting powder ,shaking off the excess and inserting into the sand in a pot .
I have also made troughs in the garden and planting them in sand - some of the soil will mix in .

Recently,I've seen another method on YouTube .

This involves getting a potato ,making a hole with a screwdriver or similar) and after dipping in rooting powder ,shaking off the excess and pushing the cutting into the hole .
Then ,planting the potato in the garden .

I did some yesterday .
Adding honey was mentioned .I haven't tried it as I was out of it - though I think that I shall next time .

Coastpath Fri 15-Apr-22 16:07:29

If the rose doesn't grow you might at least get a nice crop of tatties.

Esmay Fri 15-Apr-22 18:37:46

That's what I thought with some amusement .
I've grown potatoes before !

Katie59 Fri 15-Apr-22 19:17:28

I’ve tried without success have a look at this link it might help.

www.wikihow.com/Propagate-Roses

Esmay Sat 16-Apr-22 12:16:16

Hi Katie -
Thank you .
I googled propagating roses in potatoes as a friend asked me if I did or do .

There are lots of sites .
Maybe rose cutting is the better expression .
And a new idea -propagating roses in bananas !
I'm going bananas ? !
Happy gardening !

HannahLoisLuke Mon 18-Apr-22 13:17:42

I’ve tried the potato method and it didn’t work. I’ve tried a few times to propagate roses from cuttings and never had any success until last year when I took four cuttings from my Queen of Sweden. My granddaughter loves this rose so I said I’d try again. I took four cuttings the size of a pencil following instructions on where to cut ( can’t remember now) dipped them in hormone rooting powder and inserted them around the edge of a pot filled with gritty compost. Cuttings taken in August and left in a sheltered part of the garden. After initial watering in they were left mostly to themselves over the winter.
In the spring two were obviously dead, one had a few of last years leaves still looking fresh and one had a tiny fresh leaf bud.
After another month the one with leaves was obviously dying but the one with the tiny leaf bud had sprouted a lot of new leaves, hurray. After watching it carefully I gave it to my granddaughter with instructions on how to plant without damaging the new roots. We’re both waiting in anticipation to see if the new baby rose has transplanted successfully.

Esmay Mon 18-Apr-22 14:09:15

Oops sent before I'd finished !
Some which didn't look promising seemed to take and other just turned dark brown/black .
I'll keep trying !
Hope that your successful Queen of Sweden takes well when replanted .

Esmay Mon 18-Apr-22 14:24:21

Hi
Sorry thought I"d sent but hadn't.

This is the first part !
Plainly going bananas !
Thanks for letting me know about your cuttings .
I've tried doing the two types of cuttings.
Hardwood in the Autumn and softwood in the Spring .
Hardwoods are slower .
Mine seemed to fail.
I did the same method as you described from softwoods .
The cuttings around the edge of the pot took better than those in the centre.

I'm trying to propagate an amazing old pink rose ,which my mother planted almost on top of a camellia .
Not only it is lovely but it grows to about 10 ' .I actually cut it back at least once year or it gets out of control .

I'm dubious about the potato method and even more sceptical about the banana one !
Happy gardening !

!!