Gransnet forums

Gardening

My hose is too heavy and I hate rewinding it - can't leave the bright orange thing lying about so...

(22 Posts)
MayBee70 Thu 21-Apr-22 13:11:41

Nora Batty is alive and well and residing on gransnet….

Caleo Thu 21-Apr-22 12:35:51

The title always suggest to me it's about stockings or leggings.

Caleo Thu 21-Apr-22 12:34:28

A camping Aquaroll is helpful for watering the garden.

Caleo Thu 21-Apr-22 12:33:42

A smallish garden storage box could be dedicated to the hose pipe so you don't wind it but simply put it away unwound. Saves a lot of energy and there is no law you must wind up these things. Same for electric irons.

maddyone Thu 21-Apr-22 10:32:56

When I read the title to this thread I misread it and read my nose is too heavy and I
hate rewinding it grin

henetha Thu 21-Apr-22 10:15:42

Very interested in these answers as I have the same problem as
Sandelf. I'll get a hoselock one then. Thanks.

midgey Thu 21-Apr-22 10:14:18

You need to remember that an expanding hose is like a balloon with a cover…..don’t run over it with the wheelbarrow like I did. Before that it was great!

sandelf Thu 21-Apr-22 09:47:14

Thanks for all these - Hoselock stretchy it is - I'll keep the old one for the pressure washer.

shysal Thu 21-Apr-22 09:10:47

I transferred my 60 ft conventional Hozelock to a long handled wheeled reel so that I don't have to lift it any more.

Grantanow Thu 21-Apr-22 08:23:15

The retractable ones are a good idea but get a Hozelock one - a bit more expensive but ours has lasted.

Teacheranne Wed 20-Apr-22 22:24:52

I got one of these hoselock ones, the longest one as my garden is quite big. I coil it around the outside tap when not in use, it looks a bit messy but I can’t see it when sat on my patio! Its light, easy to use and quick to put away.

I had a shorter version before but a plumber used it to test a down pipe and overstretched it, causing the coil mechanism inside to fail, totally wrecked it! With this long one I don’t need to fully stretch it out. I have an old plastic hose on a reel which I will now lend to workmen.

Dibbydod Wed 20-Apr-22 22:07:46

I bought a relatively cheap expandable hose from Ebay few years ago to replace my heavy old fashioned hose , it’s the best thing I did as so much lighter and easier to use . I just wind mine around the outside tap when not in use and store it in plastic garden box during winter months to protect against frost . Also , the fittings are made of plastic which are very robust .

Coastpath Wed 20-Apr-22 21:48:17

I've got the same Hoselock hose as Casdon and really recommend it. I worked as a gardener before I retired and so used lots of hoses in other peoples' gardens. I never used an expandable one that didn't develop leaks pretty quickly- but perhaps time has moved on and they are better now.

Also the expandable ones just sit there in a untidy collapsed heap where the Hoselock one winds away into a neat box on the wall. Georgesgran might just have the solution to that though.

Georgesgran Wed 20-Apr-22 21:06:24

I got a cheap expanding hose from shopping telly. So far, so good - can store it out of sunlight in an empty flowerpot if I want to leave it outside.

Redhead56 Wed 20-Apr-22 20:59:28

I use Herzo 50ft expandable hose from Amazon it's ideal for me. Lightweight easy to use for arthritic hands.

Gingster Wed 20-Apr-22 16:52:42

Yes I’m an expandable fan too. It’s brill! Bought my son one too. He loves it !

Beechnut Wed 20-Apr-22 16:44:22

My hose is heavy too sandelf so I’m thinking of cutting it in half and using connections if I need it longer. I’ve also got an expanding one which I like but I don’t think I’m supposed to use it with a pressure washer.

kittylester Wed 20-Apr-22 15:38:26

We have a system of hozelock soaker hoses connected to one another hidden amongst the plants which we just turn on every now and again.

Casdon Wed 20-Apr-22 15:17:00

I’ve got a Hozelock one that is in a box fixed to the wall by the outside tap, and it has a winder on it so it’s easy to use and put away. My garden is long, but I’ve got an extra piece of hose that screws on to reach the far end.

MerylStreep Wed 20-Apr-22 15:15:05

Get an expandable one. But make sure you keep it out of the sun when not in use. They can perish, even the best quality ones.

MayBee70 Wed 20-Apr-22 15:11:59

I’ve got an expandable one and it’s one of the best things I ever bought. Wouldn’t recommend a cheap one, though, I’ve got a Hozelock one. My first one only lasted a couple of years because it developed a hole ( you have to be a bit careful with them) but I replaced it with a shorter one ( I’ve only got a small garden anyway).

sandelf Wed 20-Apr-22 15:07:49

Ideas please for a 30m hose. Are the expandable ones any good? Is it worth going for metal fittings for a spray gun? Any brands you'd recommend or warn me off? Our garden is pretty Mediterranean, but we are in a very dry area, so from time to time I do need to give it water - and carrying a can about - life is too short.