Gransnet forums

Gardening

Weird rose problem

(10 Posts)
tanith Sun 01-May-22 21:00:04

I was bought this little rose and it’s very strange some of the flowers are like paper it’s almost like they have been freeze dried and yet the plant is healthy and a new bud is normal. I’ll post some pics see if anyone can offer an explanation.

midgey Sun 01-May-22 21:05:36

My daughter’s rose (in her garden) had buds like this. I think it must have caught the wind or frost as the new buds are absolutely fine, in fact it is already flowering.

tanith Sun 01-May-22 21:15:03

If it had been outside it could be that but its on my kitchen table and not been outside.

Esmay Thu 05-May-22 09:13:26

I think that this is a common problem in some plants ,which have been forced into an early bloom for Easter/Mother's Day .
Sometimes plants get too much of a shock from the change of being in a greenhouse then a shop then home .

But it looks like Botrytis ,which can affect roses and other plants .

Sterilise scissors or secateurs in 10 % bleach and cut the affected blooms /leaves right off and dispose completely and not in your compost bin .

Wash your hands and resterilise your scissors /secateurs .

I've planted mine outside in peat free compost with a slow release fertiliser .

I rescued my neighbour's miniatures last year and they are blooming nicely now .
If it isn't Botrytis - the pruning and replanting will be a little tonic and they will recover anyway .

Good luck and happy gardening .

Esmay Thu 05-May-22 09:16:06

Yes ,midgey is absolutely right -frost can do this ,too .
Just cut off in a hygienic way as described and they will recover .

tanith Thu 05-May-22 09:20:44

Thanks I will replant it outside I was just curious as to the reason it seemed so odd.

tanith Thu 05-May-22 09:24:36

Ive actually looked again there is no sign of fungus which is what Botrytis is apparently and it’s not frost damage they are just dried but still perfectly formed and feel like paper.
A puzzle for sure.

Hetty58 Thu 05-May-22 09:28:25

Roses just like to be outside, not indoors.

Esmay Thu 05-May-22 09:40:05

True - in nature roses like to be outside and start to bloom in June .
Mine are still happily blooming after five years .

Enjoy !

tanith Thu 05-May-22 11:51:09

It will go outside when I’ve repotted it as it’s a miniature rose bought for Mother’s Day I’ve kept it on the table just because it was so pretty.