Gransnet forums

Gardening

Artificial Grass Deodoriser

(122 Posts)
Mazgg Sun 08-May-22 12:11:57

I have used the brands sold for this purpose but the result doesn't last long and it is quite expensive. Has anyone used a disinfectant (e.g.zoflora) for this? Although I walk my dogs frequently they are in and out of the garden all day. I have had it power washed in the past but that didn't last long either.

Jane71 Fri 20-May-22 16:12:13

Houses having artificial grass and concreting over their front gardens, whilst they're probably a good idea at the time, are becoming a real issue. We should really be seeking natural alternatives.

SueDonim Fri 20-May-22 12:54:50

I personally wouldn’t choose artificial grass but I’ve always thought it was a horses for courses kind of thing. Then last week a friend sent me a photo of an oystercatcher and two chicks on the plastic grass at her work, fruitlessly trying to peck the ground for worms and that did bring me up short, I must say.

Iam64 Fri 20-May-22 12:28:01

What a lot of grumpy polarised views - again.
For what it’s worth, I’d ban artificial grass, I understand the need to minimise use of plastic. We are all becoming more aware of our individual need to do all we can to help the environment and prevent climate change. I do t believe SHOUTING at people as though one or two if live on the moral high ground will help with that.

I can’t mow the lawns, I’m lucky, ive found a local gardener who can . Never had the need of a gardener till now. Luckily, I saved when working plus I’m not dependent on,y on my state pension. If I was, there would be no gardener and my dogs …. I couldn’t afford to keep them. I know I’m lucky and I’m not about to judge anyone who has plastic grass - despite which, I’d love to see it banned for the future

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 20-May-22 11:23:19

Don’t be silly.

Faye71 Fri 20-May-22 10:16:38

So plastic grass is the sole cause of climate change?

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 20-May-22 10:07:15

Rather difficult not to use a car if you live in the sticks with no public transport but very easy not to choose a plastic lawn.

Faye71 Fri 20-May-22 10:01:42

Well, we’ll have to agree to disagree - just because something is easier to avoid doesn’t mean it’s ok to do the other stuff.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 20-May-22 09:58:39

Some are rather easier to avoid than others - such as plastic grass.

Faye71 Fri 20-May-22 09:50:59

No, not really - they all affect climate change

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 20-May-22 09:48:26

Don’t you think plastic grass is in a rather different league to those things ?

Faye71 Fri 20-May-22 09:45:56

I would say expressing disapproval of artificial grass can only be justified if the poster disapproving never uses single-use plastics /never takes plane journeys / rarely, if ever, uses a car /is mainly vegetarian, etc, etc.

Callistemon21 Fri 20-May-22 09:30:24

Threads could go on and on

I don't think it's a slanging match against those who have artificial grass but it is an expression by some of their disapproval of plastic grass which I think should be allowed.

Mazgg Fri 20-May-22 08:33:15

It was insinuated that I might have dogs bred to exaggerate their natural features, presumably because I was the type of person who had artificial grass.

MissAdventure I am sorry we seem to be at cross purposes. I cannot imagine how is must be to lose a beloved child and you have my deepest sympathy.

To those who have suggested I should replace the artificial grass with gravel, I do have a large area of gravel to the side of the house but the dogs don't like it. I also have an area of decking (is this another no-no) but they prefer to be on the artificial grass which is soft and has nice shady areas . The grass which I replaced was very uneven and because of the shade became muddy in winter.

I think it is time this post was closed as it seems to have turned into a slanging match against those who have artificial grass.

Callistemon21 Thu 19-May-22 20:33:46

Gransnet is not how it was in it's early days. There seem to be a lot of posters now who are just spoiling for a fight, not making helpful suggestions

I can't think of helpful suggestions except to never have plastic grass. Sorry, but it is a real no-no from me - especially if it needs deodorising!
I apologise if I offended you but I really thought it must be a spoof post.

I don't remember you as a longstanding poster, sorry, Mazzgg but people have always expressed their opinions on GN.

As for you getting annoyed with MissAdventure, I think in fact you owe her an apology, not expecting her to apologise to you.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 19-May-22 18:43:17

Don't take it to heart MissA. Some people only want people to agree with them. I'm sure your daughter looked after her dog well despite her illness. Magzz has totally missed the point. Frankly, if that's the best she can offer by way of understanding and empathy, good riddance. Your apologies to her are not necessary but she should certainly apologise to you.

MissAdventure Thu 19-May-22 18:16:36

Oops sorry.
It wasn't my intention to offend you in any way, and my apologies as I ovviously have with my thoughtless comment. flowers
Sorry.

Mazgg Thu 19-May-22 18:12:22

MissAdventure, how dare you suggest that I have dogs bred to be disabled by exaggerating their natural features. I would never condone this. I simply asked if anyone knew how to deodorise artificial grass. For your information I have an elderly Labrador and an old Jack Russel Terrier. They can't do long walks now and are happy to toddle beside me at a leisurely pace.

Gransnet is not how it was in it's early days. There seem to be a lot of posters now who are just spoiling for a fight, not making helpful suggestions.

I will most certainly not be asking for help again. Thank you to those kind members who have made helpful suggestions.

MissAdventure Thu 19-May-22 14:26:22

Perhaps she has those dogs that are bred to be disabled by exaggerating their natural features?

My daughter had a dog, it didn't change the fact that she was dying of cancer.

Callistemon21 Thu 19-May-22 14:16:02

We need to understand others issues, too.
Yes, we do and I couldn't cut our lawns but we have a wonderful man who does that.

However, there are alternatives to plastic grass,some mentioned above.

Yes, the OP did say she takes her dogs out walking freqently.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 19-May-22 14:11:56

OP stated that she walked her dogs frequently so we knew she wasn’t disabled.

MissAdventure Thu 19-May-22 14:05:58

You both use the term "we".
Not everyone is part of a couple, just as not everyone drives, is well, can lift, carry, get about or even walk.
That is how it is for some people, bot forgetting that the op didn't ask whether anyone thought it was morally right.

Not morally right to take a plane trip really, we have zoom, whatsapp, and so on.
People will go to visit their families by plane, because they need/want to.

We need to understand others issues, too.

Callistemon21 Thu 19-May-22 13:59:07

We don't use weed killer either, have some lovely flowers in our lawn.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 19-May-22 13:58:14

Not use weed killer? We don’t use it - the lawn isn’t perfect, it has weeds which the bees like such as clover and dandelions and suits us fine. Light battery powered mower, easy to use. Haven’t been to B&Q in years.

MissAdventure Thu 19-May-22 13:27:06

Their own grass, which they would tend to by using lawn mowers, multiple trips to b and q or similar, weed products, and so on.
Many, many car trips needed for those things.
What did people do before cars, I suppose, is the next question?

Callistemon21 Thu 19-May-22 13:16:37

vegansrock

whiff are you suggesting we should have free choice in everything? There is legislation preventing use from doing lots of things which might make our own individual lives more convenient. It might be easier and cheaper for us to go and dump our rubbish on street corners or chuck it in countryside, most of us wouldn’t do that as it’s illegal and unpleasant for others - however, some still exercise that “choice”. If artificial grass were unavailable people wouldn’t have that choice and it would be one less thing for future generations to have to cope with. I don’t think there is one way for people to live but the climate crisis is real and the over use of single use plastics is one of the main culprits in destroying the environment. We will have to learn to live with fewer choices if we want the planet to remain habitable in the future. You find it convenient to live with artificial grass, many people don’t have your mobility issues yet still choose it - maybe they should think twice.

Hear hear, vegansrock.

You find it convenient to live with artificial grass, many people don’t have your mobility issues yet still choose it - maybe they should think twice.
What would people use as an alternative if the dratted stuff had never been invented?