Gransnet forums

Gardening

Sweet peas - leaves going crinkly - any ideas?

(3 Posts)
Esmay Fri 17-Jun-22 23:25:44

Monty Don is the person to ask about sweet peas .
Without a photo - I'm not sure .
I've grown huge high hedges of sweet peas for five years with no problem for five years then last year - they failed .
I attributed it to suspect seedlings as I bought them from an allotment sale , a day when I didn't water them as I at the hospital , the wrong place - my heathers pelargoniums love it but it is possibly too dry /hot , insects or a virus !
There are about 50 worldwide viruses which affect sweet peas, eleven in the UK of which four are prevalent .
Normally, I'd investigate further but I decided to destroy them .

You could either using sterilised secateurs (before and afterwards) give them a trim ,some more Tomatorite and perhaps check for aphids which you can easily treat with washing up liquid diluted in water and sprayed on or remove them .

It sounds like mosaic virus and can't be treated .

Disappointing, I know .

I'm sure that a sweet pea expert knows more than I do .
Find someone at your local gardening club who grows show quality ones . They know every trick in the trade .
Some plants just don't do well every year .
But are wonderful- the next .
Good luck !

25Avalon Fri 17-Jun-22 16:17:26

It could be white fly or some other insect causing the damage. I would use a. Atural bug killer like pyrethrum and keep on feeding.

Witzend Fri 17-Jun-22 15:18:21

I’ve grown them from seed - they look generally healthy, rampant growth and beginning to flower, but there are tiny white marks on many of the newly-crinkly leaves, probably indicating some tiny burrowing pest.

They’re in very large pots with wigwams, and I’m giving them tomato food. What else should I be doing, O wise ones?