Gransnet forums

Gardening

How much does your Green Waste Collection cost?

(201 Posts)
MRGUDER Thu 23-Jun-22 14:31:57

I just wondered what other people throughout United Kingdom pay for their Green Waste to be collected?
How often is it collected?
Do you require bags or a bin?

Thank you for your assistance in this.

Shropshirelass Fri 01-Jul-22 16:09:43

Collected every two weeks right through the year, no charge.

LOUISA1523 Mon 27-Jun-22 14:47:36

No charge ( I'm in NW) ...2 weekly collection
My Mum is in Yorkshire and she has no charge either and same 2 weekly collection

Hellis Mon 27-Jun-22 12:57:59

We don't have a council green waste collection here,expected to take it to the tip. But as I don't drive,the bottom of my garden has become one big compost heap. There was a private company collecting a while back but they stopped coming down our cul de sac through too few customers.

Wheniwasyourage Mon 27-Jun-22 12:07:02

Brown bin collected fortnightly (other bins are every 3 weeks). If you use it for garden waste, it's £40 per year, but if you just use it (or a smaller caddy) for food waste it's free.

As I understand it, at least here in Scotland, food waste collection is a statutory duty for councils, but garden waste collection is not, and that's why there are often charges for it.

oodles Mon 27-Jun-22 11:55:18

Free fortnughtly bdtween around march to. October
Mum's monthly £40 paid. By dd but monthly all year round
What is good for you will depend on your garden, how, many shrubs you have how much lawn you have, whether you compostim lucky to be abke to take. Prumings up to the tip ij winter once my bin is full
I let nextdoor use space if i dont have eniugh to fill the bin, if im away perhaps and vice versa

JacquiG Mon 27-Jun-22 09:34:31

Sheffield. Specific green bin, £52 a year, sometimes a 2 year discount is offered.

Collections May to November.

If there is empty space, we share with neighbours via our local Whatsapp group.

vampirequeen Sun 26-Jun-22 21:00:27

Collection is free and is Jan to Dec. Food waste and garden waste goes into the brown bin. The council provided the bin, a kitchen food caddy and unlimited corn-starch caddy liners. This is collected fortnightly and turned into compost which is not only used by the council gardeners but in May and Sept anyone who lives in the council area can collect three free bags of compost( whilst stocks last but it's a huge stock).

SpringyChicken Sun 26-Jun-22 20:37:31

Free, fortnightly collection, March to November, wheelie bin

FlexibleFriend Sun 26-Jun-22 20:28:25

Mares Sun 26-Jun-22 19:28:49
Flexible Friend
This was my first time I’ve ever got a Green Bin and I’ve only one bin. I did check it again I meant to put £60 mistake I put £90 pressed wrong number. But it’s definitely not £45. It’s on their website. Lol
I paid mine in April and it's obviously gone up in the mean time at £90 I'd be rethinking it tbh even £60 is a big jump.
I stand corrected. I used to just take it to the tip in the SVU but due to disability I'm reliant on others so the green bin is easier, IT's bad enough I need help with cutting everything back and disposing of a tree that snapped in high winds.

Mares Sun 26-Jun-22 19:28:49

Flexible Friend
This was my first time I’ve ever got a Green Bin and I’ve only one bin. I did check it again I meant to put £60 mistake I put £90 pressed wrong number. But it’s definitely not £45. It’s on their website. Lol

lynx Sun 26-Jun-22 13:13:49

£25 per year for each green garden waste bin, collected fortnightly. North Wales.
Household waste collected fortnightly on the other weeks, but recycling collected weekly.

Grayling Sun 26-Jun-22 11:27:31

I'm in the North of Scotland and fees for a fortnightly collection with a break of thee months in the winter are now £47.50 and have been increasing each year over the past few years. I have a wee house but a fairly big garden so make good use of it along with a food caddy which gets emptied at the same time. I have family in the Central Belt who do not pay but would be happy to do so to help fund more rubbish clearing in their area. Some of you may remember the concern when the climate conference was taking place in Glasgow regarding the state of rubbish left lying around Glasgow and other central belt areas.

harrigran Sun 26-Jun-22 10:58:36

Once every two weeks and £33 a year here in Tyne & Wear.

FlexibleFriend Sun 26-Jun-22 09:52:20

Mares Sat 25-Jun-22 23:12:56
Gosh I’m with Havering Council I’m living in Essex and my green bin is picked up every fortnight and it’s £90 a year. Yikes!

Are you sure, because I'm also with Havering council and our garden waste collection is around £45 a year per bin. Maybe you have two bins.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 26-Jun-22 09:46:04

I pay £37 each year for a garden bin which is emptied fortnightly from Spring - Autumn and monthly in the Winter. It is almost always emptied, even if the lid is not quite shut and is rammed down as much as humanly possible.

Dixsy Sun 26-Jun-22 07:59:29

Calderdale area £45 ... if u pay online £43. Collection every 2 weeks from march to November.

Twopence Sun 26-Jun-22 07:01:35

£45/pa up from £35 last year. Fortnightly collection in green wheelie bin.

swampygirl58 Sun 26-Jun-22 02:17:52

If you're asking about garden waste, our bin is brown and costs £35 per year

Mares Sat 25-Jun-22 23:12:56

Gosh I’m with Havering Council I’m living in Essex and my green bin is picked up every fortnight and it’s £90 a year. Yikes!

netflixfan Sat 25-Jun-22 21:11:47

I stand corrected! There seems to be no geographical consistency! By the way I wish I lived in the leafy south, the weather is nicer than up north.

MibsXX Sat 25-Jun-22 21:05:19

74 pounds twice yearly here and there are some months they dont collect it at all....wales suffice to say I cannot aford it and therefore burn the waste ( rental not allowed to build composter and no garden to use compost on anyways)

Georgesgran Sat 25-Jun-22 20:42:48

We have no free collections for big items. I think it’s £16 and rises with the number of items.
DH bought a twin-cab to keep the dogs separate from the passengers but that was deemed a commercial vehicle and we couldn’t take anything to the tip in it, without paying for a licence.

TiggyW Sat 25-Jun-22 20:00:45

I’m surprised that some councils charge for garden waste collection! Our Greater Manchester, Labour controlled council, collects our organic waste weekly, throughout the year, for no extra charge. We can also have two free collections of up to three large items per year (furniture, beds, etc,). I think I’d better start voting Labour! ??

Shizam Sat 25-Jun-22 19:46:50

My council introduced a £70 a year charge for fortnightly green bin collection. They stop for 12 weeks in autumn. Not ideal but council services here have been massively privatised. Teams that do the bins, though, are excellent. ?

essjay Sat 25-Jun-22 19:40:28

was free until this year, now it is £40, fortnightly collection except for the winter months, bin has always been provided. its on an opt in scheme, which i haven't as i do not have much garden rubbish.