Gransnet forums

Gardening

Madame Butterfly Rose

(4 Posts)
Caleo Fri 24-Jun-22 16:40:01

I wonder if Madame Butterfly can be grown as a bush rose. Mine is very leggy and I have not the space for it to grow tall.

midgey Fri 24-Jun-22 17:45:50

I think you would need to buy it as a bush rose, I see it is also a climber so all depends on which one you have. Good luck!

J52 Fri 24-Jun-22 17:48:56

I don’t think pruning a climber into a bush would get many flowers. Climbers flower when their stems are trained horizontally.

Esmay Fri 24-Jun-22 18:13:21

It would only cost you about £20 to buy this lovely old variety as a bush rose .

I have some climbers in the garden which I cut into bushes .I don't really have room for them and am loath to replace them for sentimental reasons reasons .

Google will show you how .

If you are hard pruning it's best done in the Autumn or a more gentle pruning can be done in the Spring .
One of the roses which I've successfully turned into a bush is an unknown David Austin type .
It's so prolific that I can cut it twice a year and it's covered in soft pink blooms .

The other one ,which is less successful is a cutting from a very old apricot climber . It doesn't produce many blooms and I'm thinking of transplanting it and letting it be a climber.

Madame Butterfly is a very old variety .
Some of those old varieties are real survivors !