Gransnet forums

Gardening

Dividing perennials

(5 Posts)
starshine Thu 30-Jun-22 16:59:04

Hello everyone. I've just bought two fair sized campanula and wonder whether it would be ok to divide them before planting in their permanent positions. They're just about to come in to flower and I have always divided such plants in the Autumn but could do with more than two in this particular spot this Summer. Do you think they'd be ok and still flower? ?

RichmondPark Thu 30-Jun-22 17:05:14

When I have done this I've always found the plants take much longer to get established and have a bit of a 'weak' look about them for a couple of seasons. If you can bear to wait it might be better to plant them as they are now and then divide them in the autumn.

starshine Thu 30-Jun-22 17:20:03

Ah thank you for the prompt reply - in that case I would prefer to have them flower well this year so I think I'll splash out on a couple more tomorrow. Trying to brighten up my North facing border and these tend to do well.

Esmay Thu 30-Jun-22 17:31:02

RichmondPark is right.

If I do divide plants at the wrong time of year - I choose a really cool day preferably a rainy one .
I place lots of big leaves around the base to keep in the moisture .

You are giving the plant a shock and if it's about to flower - it has directed it's energy into doing so and the summer isn't a great idea .

Better to buy more plants as you've already decided !

starshine Thu 30-Jun-22 17:35:25

Thanks to you too Esmay