Gransnet forums

Gardening

I’m going to bin my sweet peas. ?

(19 Posts)
Davida1968 Tue 26-Jul-22 09:55:27

My sweet peas (both the annual & perennial varieties) are wonderful this year. Covered in flowers, which I'm picking almost daily, to keep them flowering. (I love a vase of sweet peas as do my neighbours.) Who cares if they're looking a bit "rampant"? The bees & insects like them, too. It's a garden, not a park....

Baggytrazzas Tue 26-Jul-22 09:31:21

Not sure if this is related but Ive never been able to get outdoor jasmine to flower, all I got was lots of leaves then brittle stems in the winter which broke off in the wind.Honeysuckle was similar. Our garden is very cold and windy
all year round. Last year I got a few small flowers on the honeysuckle and 5 tiny florets of jasmine. This year the honeysuckle has almost fully flowered and there are thousands of flowers on the jasmine. I have both plants in 2 different areas of the garden, both performing similarly. It's brilliant. I know these are simple to grow elsewhere but I am delighted and the smell is wonderful. I think it definitely is to do with climate change.

BlueBelle Tue 26-Jul-22 04:06:53

Maybe it’s the part of the country you’re all in my runner beans have been fantastic this year but my radishes have been like wood ….all thrown out

Nannytopsy Tue 26-Jul-22 01:22:32

My sweet peas and runner beans were a complete disaster and all my lovely Charlotte potatoes have scab. ?

twiglet77 Tue 26-Jul-22 00:46:13

I can’t grow them! Every year I buy either those little willow (?) baskets with lots of young plants in, or a few trays of seedlings, and in 10 years or more I’ve been lucky to get 4-5 flowers a year. What’s that saying about repeating the same action yet expecting different results? Oh to be able to cut enough blooms for a jam jar on the windowsill!

Baggytrazzas Mon 25-Jul-22 23:55:27

Like some of the previous comments - please don't bin these they are beautiful ! I just cannot grow them here and I love it when I get a bunch from friends or neighbours. If they are really annoying you could you chop the top 12 inches off and leave the rest? envy

Chewbacca Mon 25-Jul-22 23:46:09

Whilst my sweet peas are pretty rubbish, the peas in the veg plot are romping away! Big fat full pods! No idea why the sweet peas aren't following suit.

Teacheranne Mon 25-Jul-22 23:20:59

SachaMac

My sweet peas haven’t been very good this year, the leaves have turned yellow and not half as many flowers as usual, all gone to seed now. My everlasting sweet peas are doing really well though.

My everlasting sweet peas are yet to flower! I saved some seeds a couple of years ago, grew them and kept them in pots for one summer to develop then planted them out in several different areas in the garden. They have all died now! The sun and drought turned them into dried up husks!

I’ll try sewing seeds again but then putting them in an area where I can water them until they fully establish.

crazyH Mon 25-Jul-22 23:16:36

You are so lucky to have such a beautiful spread - don’t bin them, please …

mokryna Mon 25-Jul-22 23:11:32

Please don’t bin them. They are beautiful. You are lucky to have them flower so much.

Gin Mon 25-Jul-22 22:32:48

I paid a fortune for special sweet pea seeds and they have not done well. Our area of the SE has been so dry. I have watered them but last weeks high temperatures have finished them off. Runner beans are doing well now after a bad start with loads of flowers that did not set. I thought it was because there were so fee insects to pollinate them. Now there are masses forming. We have had delicious beans for every dinner this week.

SachaMac Mon 25-Jul-22 22:30:28

My sweet peas haven’t been very good this year, the leaves have turned yellow and not half as many flowers as usual, all gone to seed now. My everlasting sweet peas are doing really well though.

tanith Mon 25-Jul-22 22:19:30

My beans are a disaster too, I’ve had 3 meals so far and now there’s not one bean growing despite loads of flowers. So annoyed I also usually get masses and give them away to family.

BlueBalou Mon 25-Jul-22 20:26:24

Mine too Chewbacca, I no longer try growing them.
My runner beans this year are a complete waste of time, I usually get masses of them - I’m hoping for better luck next year!

Chewbacca Mon 25-Jul-22 20:12:15

I didn't sow any this year because I've pretty much given up on them. Mine always go straggly and flop out beyond their supports too and, despite everything I've tried, the foliage always gets a chalky white mould on it, before turning yellow and falling off.

J52 Mon 25-Jul-22 20:06:41

They do begin to get smaller flowers, as the season goes on.

Mine are beginning to look a bit sad, the very hot weather has not helped. I don’t think they’ll last much longer. Although I love them.

Oopsadaisy1 Mon 25-Jul-22 19:56:03

Please don’t bin them, they are beautiful flowers, they don’t have to be tidy.

BlueBelle Mon 25-Jul-22 19:54:03

I didn’t put any in this year but somehow they managed to sow themselves in a small unused area on the opposite side of the garden to the straggly ones I had in a pot last year they went mad and the smell was superb
They were photobombed by a smiling poppy

Witzend Mon 25-Jul-22 19:31:58

I never thought they’d be so utterly rampant - they’ve long outgrown the ‘wigwams’ I provided, flopping everywhere, refusing to be tied in, and are looking so untidy. Two really big pots on the patio, v close to our table and chairs, small garden, nowhere else to put them. We’ve had masses of flowers, though.

I suppose it was daft to grow the climbing variety - if I grow any next year it’ll be dwarf type. I’ll pick the last lot tomorrow morning, then off to the garden centre, to look for something else for those pots.