Gransnet forums

Gardening

Here’s a puzzle

(9 Posts)
BlueBelle Mon 25-Jul-22 22:35:19

This year I grew radishes they were like wood totally inedible I made sure the garden was well watered in the dry spell so any ideas ?

cornergran Mon 25-Jul-22 22:55:28

Can’t comment on radishes BlueBelle but our beans are a disaster. First failure, ever and I’ve been growing beans for over 50 years. A light crop and the pods are so tough no matter the size. I’ve experimented with letting them grow and picking them when relatively tiny. All the same, tough and relatively tasteless, Just an odd year maybe. Hope someone comes along with an explanation for us both.

J52 Mon 25-Jul-22 22:55:48

Radishes grown in nitrogen rich soil will put their growing energy into the leaves and not the bulb. We’re they small with lots of leaves.
Radish mature in about 4/5 weeks so if the bulbs have formed that’s the time to pick them, otherwise they go over and become woody.

tanith Tue 26-Jul-22 07:06:22

My beans are useless this year tough short curly and now no beans at all.

PollyDolly Tue 26-Jul-22 07:17:52

I have never had any success with radishes either. My runner beans have also been poor this year although the climbing French beans have been brilliant and are still growing.

My runner beans were irregular and tough, often with a bulge part way along the bean and the skin was really course. I put it down to the extreme heat despite watering them regularly.

Peas and mange tout are all done and the plants removed but they were prolific so can't complain about the yield.

aggie Tue 26-Jul-22 07:21:18

My sugar snap peas were/are prolific , but a bit less crisp than last year
I grow them in a large container and make sure they get plenty of water

BlueBelle Tue 26-Jul-22 07:36:57

Maybe it’s the soil J52 I grew some in a big tub with shop bought compost
I tried them at every stage from spindle up to round but awful threw them all away

Now my runner beans have cropped extraordinarily well had loads of beauties and my peas

Must be the area and/or the soil

Esmay Wed 27-Jul-22 14:04:06

J52 is right about nitrogen .
I think that she knows her onions !

If you can - get Dr Hessayon's book on growing vegetables , produced in the late fifties - his series is tried and tested . They seem to have gone out of fashion .
I bought a set for 50p in a charity shop .

I can't remember what he recommends for radishes .
Low nitrogenous feeds include Vitax Q 4 and Tomatorite .
I've had radishes that were so wooden that you could drill a hole in them and wear them as a bead necklace .
The reason - I put a nice thick layer of well rotted horse manure at the beginning of the season and dug it in .
Up came lush leaves in profusion and my wooden beads .

I gave two sisters - a selection of my prize winning iris .
Whatever you do , I said , don't use manure as a fertiliser.
They did .
The whole lot after producing nice leaves rotted into a stinking mass .

Esmay Wed 27-Jul-22 14:10:04

Not for the first time -there's a lot of confusing information on the Web .
I think that bonemeal is recommended .