Gransnet forums

Gardening

Out of control orchid - please help!

(9 Posts)
purplepansyem Fri 29-Jul-22 11:36:53

Hi, I've had an orchid for a few years - re-potted it once and just left it to its own devices. BIG MISTAKE! As you can see, it's grown very tall and is totally wild and out of control. I have no idea what to do with it. Also, I'm not sure if it needs re-potting again. Any advice would be gratefully received. For your info, I water about once a week with boiled cooled water from the top and don't bother to feed it!

25Avalon Fri 29-Jul-22 12:14:51

I’ve got one like that. Not as tall as yours but it keeps on flowering every few months. When one stem flowers another one follows, often from the same stem. Dd gave it to me about 3 years ago and it’s been lovely during lockdown. I water mine about once a week and leave it alone in a bright hallway. Sorry I can’t be more helpful. Sounds like I shouldn’t repot it though.

tanith Fri 29-Jul-22 16:36:20

Well it obviously like whatever you are doing to it. It looks very healthy but I usually cut the flower stalks off once they look dry and brittle it looks like you leave them. Not got any advice other cutting the spent stalks off.

Septimia Fri 29-Jul-22 19:03:16

I usually cut the flower stalks off once it's clear that they aren't going to produce anything else. The multitude of air roots make the plants look untidy and I don't know whether to prune those or not.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 29-Jul-22 20:44:21

Bring it to my house. It will be dead in a week.

Chewbacca Fri 29-Jul-22 20:51:56

In that case Whitewave you can look after the 7 huge spider plants, all with bunches and bunches if babies sprouting from them. Plus the 4 Tradescantia that have long outgrown their space. I don't know what to do with all these plants and no one will accept them when I try to foist give them to people.

Esmay Fri 29-Jul-22 21:09:06

Your orchid is fine .

With sharp clean scissors ( I sterilise mine in bleach and wash off well ) cut off the spent stems and trim the dry exposed roots ,that are protruding above the pot .

When watering submerge in not too cold water then drain fully once a week .

Either use a commercial orchid tonic and follow their instructions or make your own -
Two small cloves of garlic crushed .
Pour over one litre of hot water , allow to infuse for at least one hour .

Strain and use .

Don't over feed .

I'm experimenting with onion water at the moment .

If you want shiny leaves dilute a little milk on water ( one third milk ) and use a cloth which is not used for anything else and wipe gently .
I use cotton wool pads .

purplepansyem Wed 03-Aug-22 12:16:45

Thank you for your comments and for your advice Esmay smile

Esmay Wed 03-Aug-22 18:18:44

Hi purplepansyem ,
You are welcome .

Just looked at my orchids .
One is about to rebloom and the other is unhappy . It's because some of the growing medium washed down the sink during watering so I need to replenish it .