Gransnet forums

Gardening

Colourful hanging baskets without petunias

(14 Posts)
Azalea99 Mon 01-Aug-22 18:50:13

Each year I plant up 7 hanging baskets because they bring joy & summer colour to my garden. This year there have been a few reasons why they look sad, but I would love suggestions which don’t use petunias. Yes, I have to spend a couple of weeks away about twice each summer, but the sprinkler waters them, so I’d be really grateful for ideas, please.

Azalea99 Mon 01-Aug-22 18:52:03

Each year I plant up 7 hanging baskets because they bring joy & summer colour to my garden. This year there have been a few reasons why they look sad, but I would love suggestions which don’t use petunias. Yes, I have to spend a couple of weeks away about twice each summer, but the sprinkler waters them, so I’d be really grateful for ideas, please.

Tortoiselover Mon 01-Aug-22 19:03:41

I like trailing begonias. I often plant them in one colour in a basket and they flower profusely and look stunning.

Esspee Mon 01-Aug-22 19:03:43

My personal favourites are pendulous Begonias. I know some people hate them but they give so much impact with just a few in each basket. I planted up my Begonias months ago.

Esspee Mon 01-Aug-22 19:04:43

Snap *Tortoiselover". ?

Tortoiselover Mon 01-Aug-22 19:09:39

They do look lovely Espee. They certainly have impact.

Visgir1 Mon 01-Aug-22 20:04:07

Yes Begonia's are lovely but for a good hit of colour try Trailing Ivy leaf Geraniums.
Always reminds me of Italian balconies.

I buy about 4 - 5 little trays with about 6 in each couple of colours.

Add to baskets and pots. Cheap as chips and so worth it, I tend to buy from Lidl or M&S.
Not unknown to have them still in flower until November.

Baggytrazzas Mon 01-Aug-22 23:35:27

I agree with Visgir1 that Geraniums are really versatile and can withstand very hot and dry conditions if you are unable to water every day. I bought some leftovers that were really straggly and past their best at 75p for the tray 3 years ago - they have lasted outdoors since then, in hanging baskets and in dry borders under the hedges, and are truly beautiful. They just needed to be fed and watered.

Jut one point re watering baskets - when I try to water mine with the sprinkler I cant seem to get them wet enough no matter how long it is on for.

Esspee Tue 02-Aug-22 07:48:12

Baggytrazzas. You can buy water retaining gel to mix with compost. I use it together with slow release fertiliser pellets in my containers.
Once compost dries out water runs through it. The solution is to mix a small amount of washing up liquid into the watering can. It doesn’t affect the plants (it also kills greenfly) and the compost rehydrates. You will be amazed at the difference.

Purpledaffodil Tue 02-Aug-22 08:54:39

Another vote for geraniums or trailing begonias here. Calibrachoea - sp? (million bells ) are also good. Look like tiny petunia flowers but very hardy and lots of different colours.
A useful tip Espee thanks

J52 Tue 02-Aug-22 09:40:59

Verbena are a very colourful bedding plant that tumble down, also trailing lobelia.

Baggytrazzas Tue 02-Aug-22 11:29:39

Thanks for the tips, Esspee

Azalea99 Tue 02-Aug-22 11:51:01

Lovely ideas, thank you all. It’s fun to sit looking at this year’s garden and plan next year’s!
(Baggytrazzas, you’re absolutely right about the sprinkler being less than efficient but I take the baskets down, chop off every bud etc, then perch each one on a large pot and leave them on the path. They don’t exactly flourish but it’s the best I can think to do.)

Mr Google and I are now going to spend some quality time looking at the alternative ideas you’ve all given me! Thanks

PinkCosmos Tue 02-Aug-22 11:54:01

Another vote for trailing geraniums. The flowers last longer than petunias and they are more drought tolerant.

I had some with pink double flowers last year and they looked fantastic. I have them in pots rather than hanging baskets though.