Gransnet forums

Gardening

Squirrels nut planting season

(15 Posts)
susytish Sat 10-Sep-22 10:02:34

It’s that time of year again! We have a family of squirrels deciding our garden with its well kept lawn is the best place to start digging! We have holes everywhere as usual. There are 2 large oak trees behind us so of course lots of acorns. I have a squirrel-proof bird feeder which is great.
I have tried everything (I think).
Curry powder or chilli powder around. I even bought a water gun to shoot water at them, but they are so brazen they just look at me.
Do any of you clever people have any suggestions please?

Caleo Sat 10-Sep-22 10:06:06

I found acorns under the cushions in he gazebo.

Callistemon21 Sat 10-Sep-22 10:36:15

Caleo

I found acorns under the cushions in he gazebo.

?

Just keep pulling up the seedlings or mow them down if they're in the lawn.

I know they're a pest but a baby squirrel ran across the patio and came right up to me the other week. He or she wanted to introduce him/herself and tell me it's his/her garden too now.

Athrawes Sat 10-Sep-22 10:47:48

There have been squirrels in my garden throughout the summer busily stashing away peanuts. Sadly I've had to remove them and the bird seed for a while as we had two murders courtesy of a sparrow hawk who looked us in the eye afterwards as if to say 'not me Mister'. The evidence of two areas of white feathers confirmed the murders. I have to say though the sparrowhawk was a beautiful bird but it was a sad occasion. Nature as we know can be very cruel but creatures have to eat

shysal Sat 10-Sep-22 10:48:33

My squirrel-proof bird feeder is not so great!

Georgesgran Sat 10-Sep-22 12:49:55

Lovely picture shysal. We don’t have many squirrels here - all greys, so I was delighted to have one come to my garden and bought ‘proper’ food for it (named it Hazel) as the big trees around are sycamores.

silverlining48 Sat 10-Sep-22 13:08:28

On a woodland walk the other day there were acorns on the ground everywhere, some far from oak trees.

Callistemon21 Sat 10-Sep-22 13:43:20

Athrawes
We have a sparrow hawk which is a regular visitor, have seen it in action twice.
It must still be around because we've seen lots of white feathers strewn around the garden, front and back and yesterday the evidence was there with a pile of feathers and some leftover bones of a pigeon.

Esspee Sat 10-Sep-22 15:35:56

Our grey squirrels have developed a taste for crocosmia/montbretia over the last 3 years. This year they have dug up and consumed hundreds of coms. They don't bury them but find the most obvious spot to sit and strip off the outer skin before devouring the irrestible inner part.
One morning last week we woke to see one sitting on top of our fountain working it's way through a pile of corms. On switching the fountain on it simply took the booty onto a nearby garden chair.
It is now Bulb planting season and frankly I have had enough of their destruction so my intention is to rehome them. Two days ago we caught the first one which was released in a woodland park a few miles away. Hopefully it will not find it's way back and the rest of their family will join them soon.

Callistemon21 Sat 10-Sep-22 16:39:32

My squirrels look on sprouting tulips as a great treat.

Esspee Sun 11-Sep-22 14:10:43

Returned from Loch Lomond to find our second squirrel. OH immediately took ìt to where he had released it's mate.

Esspee Sun 11-Sep-22 14:11:34

Hopefully they don't have a homing instinct.

Callistemon21 Sun 11-Sep-22 14:15:34

Esspee

Hopefully they don't have a homing instinct.

I didn't like to say

I remember when my friend's father decided to rehome their cat; it didn't take long ?

Esspee Sun 11-Sep-22 14:22:42

?

Callistemon21 Sun 11-Sep-22 14:27:52

Sorry, it was a cat, not a squirrel.

I'm sure the squirrels will love their new home. ?