Gransnet forums

Gardening

Chelsea Flower Show

(139 Posts)
merlotgran Sun 21-May-23 19:26:54

Just watched the preview/preparation. Some stunning show gardens to look forward to as usual. When I’m not gardening I’ll be glued to the telly. It’s my favourite week of summer.

The weather forecast is great as well!

Callistemon21 Fri 26-May-23 22:30:18

lixy

Chris Beardshaw's gardens are always so thoughtful. This year's is beautiful and showcases many shade-loving/tolerant plants.

I shall be looking at the plant list in detail when I come to redesign my shady corner next year.

Lovely!

My kind of garden
If only 🙂

lixy Fri 26-May-23 21:57:59

Chris Beardshaw's gardens are always so thoughtful. This year's is beautiful and showcases many shade-loving/tolerant plants.

I shall be looking at the plant list in detail when I come to redesign my shady corner next year.

merlotgran Fri 26-May-23 20:23:10

Congratulations Chris Beatdshaw. Lovely garden.

Even though I voted for Sarah Price. 😂

Rosie51 Thu 25-May-23 23:54:42

merlotgran

Just shows that for all their high minded protesting and posturing they’re as thick as planks.

Now you're insulting planks, at least they have a use! wink

Callistemon21 Thu 25-May-23 23:38:12

😂

merlotgran Thu 25-May-23 23:29:41

Just shows that for all their high minded protesting and posturing they’re as thick as planks.

Callistemon21 Thu 25-May-23 23:07:00

It was on the local news.

The designer said the garden has been permanently ruined.

The same group did the same, throwing powder around at the Snooker championships.

But why throw paint at plants? Plants which will help to counter climate change. They claim they did it because people in the Global South are starving but people in many countries are starving because of war, of fighting between rebel groups and because of corrupt officials preventing food getting to these people. And these are the people who will be most affected by climate change too.
So damaging plants and trees, albeit in a small garden but one with a significant message, runs counter to their aims.

Jaberwok Thu 25-May-23 19:25:59

Perhaps these people don't understand the hard work and dedication that goes into designing and perfecting these exhibits. My DH and I many moons ago were very involved in garden design and did many gardens, local exhibitions and so on, but never Chelsea. Had someone vandalised any of our work, it would have been devastating and I think I would have burst into tears on the spot. I did vaguely support this campaign, I could see their point of view,but not now, as far as I'm concerned they are vandals, and should be prosecuted severely.

J52 Thu 25-May-23 17:04:27

Forsythia

They are utter scum. They should be prosecuted. No more student loans, university/FE, benefits, supported housing. Hit them hard where it hurts. Make them put the garden back to how it was. I totally despise them.

Do you know for a fact that they are students or on benefits?

Forsythia Thu 25-May-23 16:55:37

They are utter scum. They should be prosecuted. No more student loans, university/FE, benefits, supported housing. Hit them hard where it hurts. Make them put the garden back to how it was. I totally despise them.

merlotgran Thu 25-May-23 15:56:19

Am I missing their point? Or are they missing the point?

Presumably they live on plant based diets so their ignorance is staggering.

merlotgran Thu 25-May-23 15:46:07

I love Cleve West’s designs. He’s one of my favourites.

Rosie51 Thu 25-May-23 15:11:52

Absolutely agree about using brownfield sites for building, although I wish more was done to put infrastructure in place before the numbers of homes was increased. My local authority is building on any spare piece of grass at the moment, and giving permission for cramming in high rise blocks by greedy developers. Not one extra school place, no extra doctors, hospitals etc and there's even been a reduction of our train services. The last straw was when they demolished a children's playground for more new building.

On the subject of Chelsea, I have loved my visits although I have never managed to see it all, it's so big. Of course it's artificial in that all those plants being at their peak at the same time won't happen in 'our' gardens, but they are inspirational. I usually love Chris Beardshaw's garden, he does 'proper' gardens as far as I'm concerned. I haven't had a chance to look at any of this year's offerings yet.

Susynan Thu 25-May-23 15:11:04

I’m usually a fan of Monty Don, but he apparently loved this garden. I would definitely disagree.

Callistemon21 Thu 25-May-23 15:08:47

I hope the woman who helpfully tried to clean them is not in trouble. It said she was "spoken to" by an official.

I thought she was just trying to help 😀

Callistemon21 Thu 25-May-23 15:07:32

MayBee70

I’m all for peaceful protest but this is just plain wrong.

It's not clear what their message was.

Growing flowers and plants here in the UK in gardens is causing genocide in parts of the world?

MayBee70 Thu 25-May-23 15:02:51

I’m all for peaceful protest but this is just plain wrong.

Callistemon21 Thu 25-May-23 14:55:34

Rosie51

It's them Callistemon21, assuredly it's them! Total fools, they didn't research beyond who had sponsored the garden, not what it was to symbolise.

Another idea behind it was that more brownfield sites should be used for building homes which seems to be an excellent idea to me.
The less we can encroach on the countryside and farmland the better because, yes, we have to eat and brownfield sites may be more conveniently located near to existing facilities too.

What’s the point in a garden if you can’t eat?’and ‘Stop putting your heads in the compost!

I bet not a single one of them is a farmer or has a clue about farming.

It was paint, btw!
Toxic or not?

Rosie51 Thu 25-May-23 14:50:40

It's them Callistemon21, assuredly it's them! Total fools, they didn't research beyond who had sponsored the garden, not what it was to symbolise.

Callistemon21 Thu 25-May-23 14:30:47

merlotgran

I see the Just Stop Oil protesters have been chucking orange powder all over the Brewin Dolphin garden shouting, ‘What’s the point in a garden if you can’t eat?’and ‘Stop putting your heads in the compost!’

Oh, the irony! 😂😂

The Brewin Dolphin garden:

Imagined as the metamorphosis of a former 1900s’ industrial site, the garden has been designed to illustrate how brownfield land can be rehabilitated using existing and repurposed materials to establish a new, sustainable and environmentally-aware landscape
The planting is based upon a mix of native pioneer species alongside endemic plants, which rehabilitate polluted soils – the type of conditions found in many urban environments – and clean the air through higher rate CO2 absorption

Am I missing their point? Or are they missing the point?

GrannyGravy13 Thu 25-May-23 14:26:42

merlotgran

I see the Just Stop Oil protesters have been chucking orange powder all over the Brewin Dolphin garden shouting, ‘What’s the point in a garden if you can’t eat?’and ‘Stop putting your heads in the compost!’

Oh, the irony! 😂😂

That is vandalism and they should be charged!

merlotgran Thu 25-May-23 13:56:07

Oh, the irony! 😂😂

Daisymae Wed 24-May-23 23:04:03

I've been to Chelsea several times and have always enjoyed the day. I do find that a lot of the gardens are at offs with the current message of sustainability. Moving tons of rock across the whole country, building huge concrete structures etc. I have been thinking that perhaps the build should be limited to say a week, to reduce carbon footprint? That said I'm watching every day and Chris Beardshaw gets my vote.

dragonfly46 Wed 24-May-23 22:50:14

I went once and on RHS day but found it very congested and smaller than expected. I now prefer to watch on TV where you can actually get into the gardens.

Callistemon21 Wed 24-May-23 22:40:15

😁
Perhaps it was his Dad's hat 🙂