Gransnet forums

Gardening

What has survived in your garden with minimal or no watering?

(112 Posts)
MaizieD Thu 30-Jul-26 10:57:52

I had a prowl round my garden this morning. I have done very little watering over the past few weeks, apart from concentrating on a very few newly planted items.

All the shrubs in soil are absolutely fine, buddleia, roses, box, lavender, rosemary, lonicera and cornus.

Herbaceous plants which are thriving are peony, sedum spectabile, verbena bonariensis, lychnis, geraniums, hollyhocks, stachys (lambs ears) thymes. crocosmia and the dreaded japanese anemones (wish I could kill them grin) there are a few more but I won't bore you with a massive list.

Dead and dying? Alstroemeria and aquilegia. I'm quite happy about these as the alstroemeria spreads too much and is hard to dig out and the aquilegia are rampant self seeders.

If we're going to have these (long predicted) hot and dry summers, along with hosepipe bans, more in the future it's good to know what is worth planting and what to avoid.

I do have plants in pots which I have watered because they've no chance of sending their roots to seek out deeper moist soil so I obviously haven't included them

valdali Sun 02-Aug-26 14:42:43

My penstemons are doing better than expected though...

valdali Sun 02-Aug-26 14:39:40

Our soil is quite dry, I do mulch but there are so many trees around & it's so free-draining.
So a lot of things in the OP are not OK without water here.
Japenese anemones, lavender, geraniums & marguirites & crocosmia are all dying here. I have watered the lavender a fair bit because I think once it goes, it won't come back next year.
Also my acers need water, even some that have been in 10 years, & the camellias.

Lemonred Sun 02-Aug-26 14:18:52

My roses are fine, but are 10 years old, the hostas are fine, and all the woody shrubs are fine. I’m watering the salvias, and they are still struggling a little. A (new last year) Himalayan Honeysuckle is struggling, but I keep throwing the washing up water on it, and it perks up very quickly. My hydrangeas have been fantastic this year, and only need minimal watering. I have heavy clay soil.

SillyNanny321 Sun 02-Aug-26 14:04:38

Weeds weeds & even more weeds! Shrubs doing ok, small trees not so good! Do not have a ‘pretty’ garden so no problems there! Have strange brown stuff where my grass used to be😂

Oldfossil Sun 02-Aug-26 14:02:47

Fennel - it thrives on neglect and full sun. It’s about 5’ tall, strong, self supporting stems, with ferny foliage and coronets of seed heads, beautiful in silhouette, swaying gracefully in the breeze …..,and I can eat it!

gibson2222 Sun 02-Aug-26 14:01:42

In the back garden the black berry brambles are growing wildly and full of berries some already ripened. Up by the house it,s next doors brambles growing over the fence and over hanging the path so having to cut it back to get to the main part of the garden.In the main part of the garden brambles are in my garden,also the wisteria is rampant the grass is brown. In the front garden everything is lush and green other than the plants that have already seeded, the shrubs which were cut down as growing out of hand still keep getting shoots growing from the stumps so having to cut them back.

Hil1910 Sun 02-Aug-26 13:58:49

Fortunate in Durham not to have a hosepipe ban so our plants are blooming with the exception of the front lawn which is looking parched. And for the first time ever our hydrangea in the front garden has never had as many blooms…it must have taken heed of our threats to dig it out and replace it if it didn’t flower this year.

knspol Sun 02-Aug-26 13:56:42

My garden just looks so very sad. No rain at all for many weeks and I have only watered maybe a handful of times as have had no energy whatsover due to lack of sleep in the heat. Large shrubs mostly OK except for those that flower as they flowered and then died within around a week. A really large flowering perennial (daisy like flowers) just sort of fell over and flopped likewise a couple of large crocosmia clumps which I have now cut back to within a couple of inches from the ground. Most colourful plants with the exception of achillea have just frazzled. Yesterday I cut back lots of stuff which I would normally not be doing until around Sept/Oct so goodness knows what that will do to the plants next year. Have spent so much time and money on the garden, like so many others and now it's verging on eyesore.

Witzend Sun 02-Aug-26 13:55:10

My Japanese anemones are all wilted to the point of collapse, but I’m not bothered - was planning to dig the invasive buggers up in the autumn anyway.
I do wish they could have flowered first, though!

Violetbynight Sun 02-Aug-26 13:49:43

Heucheras are surviving well also roses. Myrtle is alright and fuchsias. Also osteospermums. I live in East Sussex and garden on chalky soil. Pelagoniums are very happy and cranesbill survive with a little watering. Star jasmine OK also buddlea
and passionflowers. Weeds are a nuisance and it’s too hot to get at them 😁. Gladioli not a problem.

Essexgirl145 Sun 02-Aug-26 13:39:50

A Russian Vine, it's death defying.

Mojack26 Sun 02-Aug-26 13:35:10

Nothing everything fine here as I'm in Scotland

Einna Sat 01-Aug-26 18:06:08

Good old nasturtiums are doing well and flowering nicely (Princess of India, Tom Thumb). Also my roses.

I have tended my garden for thirty years and dug in lots of compost. But what with Foxes, snails, cats and the drought, I feel quite discouraged.

Come the spring time, I shall put more nasturtium seeds into the gaps (the soil is stony and infertile) using Baby Rose, Tom Thumb, Princess of India and Alaska mixed.

Grandmabatty Sat 01-Aug-26 17:57:40

My lavender bushes have been wonderful (Central Scotland). They are still flowering and the bees are everywhere. I have Japanese anenomes in the same bed and they are flowering profusely. As someone else said, Scotland hasn't had such dry weather as further south. Although there are very dry parts.

shysal Sat 01-Aug-26 17:51:12

Everything planted in the soil has been fine without watering, especially the roses. which are having a good year.
Many of my plants are annuals in pots, of which petunias and Busy Lizzies have been as prolific as ever with saved washing up water every 3 or 4 days.
I have exemption from the hose ban, but am still doing my best to conserve water. Temperatures here in Oxfordshire have been between 30C and 40C in the shade every day for weeks.

J52 Sat 01-Aug-26 17:24:29

My Eryngium ( sea holly) is thriving and the bees love it. I have grown a few plants from seed, not expecting anything, but I’m so pleased that I’ll do a couple of different varieties next year.

Fallingstar Fri 31-Jul-26 19:18:08

We don’t have a lawn but both our DDs do, are yellow and turning to dust with weeds thriving.

yogitree Fri 31-Jul-26 18:51:49

I'm in Scotland. Sad to hear you have suffered so badly elsewhere. We have 'only' had 4 weeks or so of no rain so not too much damage, although the crops of barley and oats in the fields around us have been badly affected.
Garden-wise, apples are fine, my Hydrangea only came into leaf a week or so ago, and is only now looking like starting to flower, but I am unsure if it will actually make it. Peonies, didn't even rise in part of the garden, the old ones in another part were fine. Roses have been poor. Clematis not its best.
All the prolific spreaders are doing fine as are the daisies, and some new bushes I planted. Lavender and bacoba looking good.

Bukkie Fri 31-Jul-26 18:29:40

Weeds! Still looking strong, green and healthy.

Gwyllt Fri 31-Jul-26 18:11:17

I never realised how much of the Mexican Fleebane had escaped to the grass Really looks pretty bought one plant about seven years ago it is everywhere now in the walls. Along the edges. Best investment ever

Stansgran Fri 31-Jul-26 16:21:45

Mrs Popple x3 thriving and never been watered!acanthus is doing well,crocosmia ok. Lavender dead. Sweet peas shorter than usual but prolific. Phlox fine. Achillea I thought I’d lost years ago suddenly reappeared. Foxgloves fine but over. I think I’ve got a foxtail lily which I’ve certainly ever planted. We also acquired a tree with green apples last year,never noticed it before and must have hidden itself behind a crab apple. Now I can’t see the crab apple but the green interloper is suddenly enormous and full of apples. It’s also the first time today I’ve been in the garden since I had an operation three months ago.

JamesandJon33 Fri 31-Jul-26 09:51:43

Olive and fig trees are fine. Camellias also. We have a lot of hydrangeas who are very droopy. All washing up water goes to them.

Lathyrus3 Fri 31-Jul-26 09:44:33

Icelandic poppies in my paving.

No water for weeks and no soil to speak of either.

Jane43 Fri 31-Jul-26 08:42:57

Except for one dead azalea everything in the ground has survived albeit looking very sorry, in tubs hostas, lilies, dahlias and geraniums have survived.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 31-Jul-26 08:37:32

Yes I agree. Ignore me - I’m just going off on a tangent - as usual!