Gransnet forums

Gardening

What has survived in your garden with minimal or no watering?

(112 Posts)
MaizieD Thu 30-Jul-26 10:57:52

I had a prowl round my garden this morning. I have done very little watering over the past few weeks, apart from concentrating on a very few newly planted items.

All the shrubs in soil are absolutely fine, buddleia, roses, box, lavender, rosemary, lonicera and cornus.

Herbaceous plants which are thriving are peony, sedum spectabile, verbena bonariensis, lychnis, geraniums, hollyhocks, stachys (lambs ears) thymes. crocosmia and the dreaded japanese anemones (wish I could kill them grin) there are a few more but I won't bore you with a massive list.

Dead and dying? Alstroemeria and aquilegia. I'm quite happy about these as the alstroemeria spreads too much and is hard to dig out and the aquilegia are rampant self seeders.

If we're going to have these (long predicted) hot and dry summers, along with hosepipe bans, more in the future it's good to know what is worth planting and what to avoid.

I do have plants in pots which I have watered because they've no chance of sending their roots to seek out deeper moist soil so I obviously haven't included them

Nell82 Sun 30-Aug-26 09:54:18

I'm in mid Surrey close to RHS Wisley. Hydrangeas have struggled so much that apparently Wisley are planning to send their collection up north. A neighbour has been successful growing hers in large containers in the shade with a drip watering system.

My happiest border on clay is east facing and has roses and catmint. I postponed deadheading the catmint so that the roots were kept shaded. Otherwise the silver leaved stachys and artemisia have done well.

Esmay Sun 30-Aug-26 08:35:45

One of my neighbours has a Cotinus and an Escallonia and they are thriving in the hot weather.
I think that I'll take some cuttings .

Vintagewhine Fri 28-Aug-26 07:51:06

We've had no rain until this week and the garden is a disaster, we've done a little watering of precious shrubs but most of the plants have been left to fend for themselves. Penstemon and gaura have done surprisingly well, verbena and agapanthus are ok but the dahlias are a disaster and many of the perennials, that had flowered before the drought got established, may not come back next year but I haven't written them off yet.

JenniRen Thu 27-Aug-26 22:11:36

crazyH

Just found this growing in the paving - if it’s a weed, it’s a pretty weed - any idea what it is ?

It looks like willow herb, crazyH.
Amazing what can survive without much water, although we've had plenty today.

MawsRosie Thu 27-Aug-26 20:51:05

The patio

Ziplok Thu 27-Aug-26 20:45:04

It might even be morning glory, CrazyH.

Ziplok Thu 27-Aug-26 20:36:50

I’m not sure CrazyH, but it looks like a variety of bindweed. It might not be, though.

Jules2000 Thu 27-Aug-26 20:30:31

Mexican daisies! They even grow out of cracks in the patio! African daisies are doing great too. Geraniums (love the colours) need a bit of watering but are pretty happy. I don't think the grass will ever recover. It's still brown and completely dead..sadly.

Beechnut Wed 26-Aug-26 14:05:47

AskAlice my Erigeron has been ok in the heatwave. I plan to dig some up and plant in other places. Near it my acer is well but two shrubs next to it are in a very sorry state. I plan to plant some more sedums.

crazyH Wed 26-Aug-26 14:01:08

Just found this growing in the paving - if it’s a weed, it’s a pretty weed - any idea what it is ?

AskAlice Thu 06-Aug-26 00:00:10

I'm definitely going to have a re-think about what I grow in my borders. Erigeron (is that the Mexican daisy-type flower?) is one on my to-buy list for ground cover. My poor geums are frazzled, the penstemons are looking very poorly. What has done well are the Gaura, no water for weeks and blooming like mad. Rosemary is also coping well, as are the roses (although the second flush of flowers has gone over very quickly.)

The other stars in the borders are the salvias. And the bees love them!

Dodo43 Wed 05-Aug-26 19:44:41

Roses have been fabulous, and hydrangeas have done better than usual.
Erigeron has been great too and I hope it does seed itself , but the total star is an echinacea planted last autumn. It's a solid , never ending mass of blooms.

Primrose53 Wed 05-Aug-26 09:12:10

Hollyhocks are flourishing in this heatwave and need no watering. North Norfolk is awash with them and they look beautiful. Over here they grow in poor soil, between cobbles and at the base of walls.

BrandyGran Wed 05-Aug-26 03:53:55

Erigeron in cracks in my crazy paving patio are lovely and don’t seem to need watering. I just let them seed everywhere. Geraniums and begonias are looking good with minimal water. Lewesias are lovely too. Next year I won’t bother planting nasturtiums lasted no time til went to seed or dianthus.

JenniRen Tue 04-Aug-26 21:30:42

We had rain but not really enough to give a good soaking.

The perennial geranium which had shrivelled and which I chopped back is sprouting some green.

StTrinians Tue 04-Aug-26 21:26:16

Ps. I forgot thc following, all growing like wildfire. Hedera helix "Caneriensis" is doing really well. Great climber. (Thinks it's in the Canaries!) All Jasmine officinalis doing well. Hibiscus...any South African plants, like Agapanthas..Also, try Alliums.

Lathyrus3 Tue 04-Aug-26 11:08:42

Im green with envy for the rain.

Actually I’m not I’m a rather nasty yellow with dead brown patches 🙁

MaizieD Tue 04-Aug-26 10:13:53

Co. Durham. We have rain, too, today. Nice steady soaking rain.

Like others, I'm certainly noting what has done well and I'm thinking about next year.

We have been warned for a few years about the effects of global warming but I think it's really striking home now.

Samsara1 Tue 04-Aug-26 10:02:09

Perennial geraniums - that's all

JamesandJon33 Tue 04-Aug-26 09:46:13

S W Wales. We have rain. The bouncy off the car stuff. Hopefully the garden will revive now.

StTrinians Mon 03-Aug-26 18:10:33

The roses have done brilliantly. Sedums, yes, Rosemary, yes, they both love it. Trees...Prunus (flowering Cherries), Malus (Crab Apples) and Field Maple seem very happy. Birch trees suffering and Yew are also needing grey water. Buddleia davidii, butterfly bush, are loving the heat, and the butterflies are enjoying their nectar. The wildflower meadow is thriving. Native hedges all fine, blackberries love the heat. smile

blue14 Mon 03-Aug-26 17:28:52

Yes Helterskelter and Fallingstar - I think ours is the area suffering the most from the lack of rain.
Also the Southeast in general seems to be the hottest part of the country.
Many people will be reviewing and thinking very carefully about they plant in the future.

Fallingstar Mon 03-Aug-26 13:44:45

blue14

In my part of Surrey this is the 46th day with no rain.
My grass is yellow/brown and 'crunchy' underfoot.

The first flush of roses was glorious but since then buds have been scorched, turned brown and therefore not flowered.
Everything in the garden is struggling and I have a hosepipe ban so can't help.

According to the BBC weather forecast no rain is expected in the next two weeks.
My garden normally gives me a great deal of pleasure but this year I just don't even like to look at it!

Snap!!
Here in London there has been no rain for ages and we are in drought with no rain forecast for weeks ahead.
Am wondering, if these hot dry summers continue, we won’t just change the plants we buy but when purchasing a property will no longer be looking for a garden that is a sun trap but looking for a garden with shade.

Aspideratemysaddle Mon 03-Aug-26 11:22:51

My hydrangea is dead I am only using water from household chores on my blueberries, I bought them from Asda this year and they are doing really well in pots.

HelterSkelter1 Mon 03-Aug-26 10:34:00

Blue14 I am in N Surrey and my garden is the same. It is sad as like you it normally gives me pleasure. Not this year. Pots I am watering in the evening and they are surviving.

So I top up the bird bath but thats all I do in the actual garden.