Gransnet forums

Gardening

Fake grass ?

(133 Posts)
Shinamae Sat 08-Aug-26 15:40:25

I have this patch of grass (You can see why I hesitate to call it a lawn) and it certainly hasn’t been helped by having a new puppy 🐶🐶🐶🐶
It is I’m afraid beyond redemption,my gardener has suggested I use fake grass, I said I was quite hesitant about it, but he said it has come on so much in the last few years and he’s recommended I give it a try
I just wonder if anybody has any experience of this good or bad

Vintagewhine Tue 11-Aug-26 07:26:52

My daughter bought a house with fake grass in the small courtyard garden. She's been there for 6 years with her big dog and there's no smell whatsoever. The grass must have been down for 10 years but it still looks good and even in this south facing garden it doesn't seem to get hot. Tbh I'm not a fan but it works well for my daughter who is often away for long periods. She has lots of pots on an automatic watering system and her garden is very pretty and practical.

paddyann54 Tue 11-Aug-26 02:39:11

viceversa if you note my previous ost re ffake grass you,ll see f was because of drainage issues that weren,t fixable even after 30 years and nearly 20,000 in specialists digging up the grass/ground and laying pipes etc.We have real grass at the front of the house which is lovely but its beside the road and not suitable for a toddler and a wild 7 year old to do stunts on.
Is this thread really about the environment? A lot of these posts just come across as snobbish.

Lesley60 Tue 11-Aug-26 02:29:09

Skye17

I would never have fake grass. Hot, plastic, smelly, ugh. It would also put me off buying a house.

It depends on the quality you buy I had it on a balcony of my static and you couldn’t tell the difference it wasn’t smelly and my dog found it comfortable enough to lay on

Lesley60 Tue 11-Aug-26 02:25:08

I had a static caravan and the decking was so slippery in the rain so I had it covered in fake grass and it was much better people who passed always commented how nice and realistic it was, the secret is don’t buy the cheapest as you can really see the difference to mid range

Skye17 Mon 10-Aug-26 23:53:49

I would never have fake grass. Hot, plastic, smelly, ugh. It would also put me off buying a house.

JenniRen Mon 10-Aug-26 22:54:30

Self-set not self-serve.

JenniRen Mon 10-Aug-26 22:53:50

Why do we have grass lawns when they do suffer in droughts? I know they'll recover but the camomile and other herbs in our garden and self-serve in the lawn seem to be surviving well.
Perhaps I'll encourage them and have a camomile and herb lawn instead.

Anything but plastic.

MT62 Mon 10-Aug-26 22:47:05

Grandma70s

If I couldn’t have real grass I’d have something quite different, rather than fake grass which seems an awful idea to me and bad taste - like those electric fires with fake flames.

I’ve only seen a camomile lawn once, but it was beautiful.

Oh I have had one of those too 😂

Grandma70s Mon 10-Aug-26 22:18:55

If I couldn’t have real grass I’d have something quite different, rather than fake grass which seems an awful idea to me and bad taste - like those electric fires with fake flames.

I’ve only seen a camomile lawn once, but it was beautiful.

janipans Mon 10-Aug-26 21:48:07

DH was a keen gardener when younger but despite all the feeding, weeding, scarifyig etc over the years the front lawn always became a brown desert in Summer (South facing)
We have a big back garden with real grass and the smaller front is artifical. We don't have any pets or children so it doesn't matter if front lawn gets hot. Always looks nice with little effort '- a godsend when DH had renal failure and I had all the housework and gardening to do as well as overseeing home dialysis and chauffeuring to hospitals etc. Rainwater goes through it so better than paving/patio and we even get the occasional weed growing through it.
Take on board the landfill comments, but the years of chemicals (feeds etc) which all come in plastic containers), would probably balance it up as it's only a small area.

JPB123 Mon 10-Aug-26 21:40:06

I have fake grass in my back garden because my garden is quite big on the front and sides. It’s been down for years and the grandchildren loved playing on it,the cockatoo loves to roll about on it and it looks lovely.

Shinamae Mon 10-Aug-26 21:25:10

Well, this has turned out to be a very divisive subject…..😎

ViceVersa Mon 10-Aug-26 21:23:00

Our real grass was never a 'muddy mess', despite years of play with children, grandchildren and dogs!

paddyann54 Mon 10-Aug-26 21:17:35

I have wee GC ,I,d rather they were able to play on fake grass than the muddy mess it is if left natural.Concrete or chips are hard on wee knees and elbows but they can practice their gymnastics to their hears content on the fake grass.
They can also help to deadhead flowers and pick up leaves and literally smell the roses.
Life isn,tperfect or simple we just have to do what’s best for us and d the real/ fake mix works well.

srn63 Mon 10-Aug-26 21:11:24

Forgot to add that I don't have any gnomes but I do have a 'tree of wonderous things' which includes a full size american bald eagle, an owl, various other birds of prey, one of Odin's ravens, a baby bear and a baby chimpanzee and various other lovely bits that the grandchildren have me. I love it. As I said before, horses for courses.

srn63 Mon 10-Aug-26 21:03:18

Robin202

I just couldnt bring myself to have fake grass. To me it falls in the same category as garden gnomes and fake garden flowers. Just no.

I have fake flowers in my garden in amongst the real ones, around my fake grass. It looks really good, I love it.

MissAdventure Mon 10-Aug-26 20:59:32

smile
That's true, I'm sure.My friend always said her dog only did a teaspoon of wee (on the floor, usually) so it didn't smell.
Well, I begged to differ (but kept quiet, like the coward i am)

Lathyrus3 Mon 10-Aug-26 20:54:11

I rented a house for a short time that had had both dogs and fake grass. It did smell. I used a lot of Jeyes fluid. Which also smelled but I preferred the Jeyes😬

Dare I say that dog owners get quite used to their doggy smells 😳

MissAdventure Mon 10-Aug-26 20:44:01

Possibly so.
I've not got a dog or a garden, so I wouldn't know one way or another.

It just means you're calling some people on gransnet stinkers, or fibbers.

ViceVersa Mon 10-Aug-26 20:37:36

MissAdventure

How do people who would never have it know it stinks?
And those who do have it say it doesn't?
Which is it?

Perhaps because we've been to houses who have both the fake grass and dogs, and know it stinks? The new housing estate nearest to us has lots of gardens with it and you can smell it when you walk past.

MissAdventure Mon 10-Aug-26 20:32:42

How do people who would never have it know it stinks?
And those who do have it say it doesn't?
Which is it?

Silvertwigs Mon 10-Aug-26 20:26:30

Shinamae I’m amazed a gardener is being persuasive re fake grass! It’s the most loathsome invention ever 😡 if you’re not affected by a hosepipe ban you could always hose puppy pee off it before it stinks to high heavens. Team real grass here 🌷🤗

Shinamae Mon 10-Aug-26 20:15:15

Robin202

I just couldnt bring myself to have fake grass. To me it falls in the same category as garden gnomes and fake garden flowers. Just no.

There’s nothing wrong with garden gnomes…..😎😁

MT62 Mon 10-Aug-26 19:48:07

Robin202

I just couldnt bring myself to have fake grass. To me it falls in the same category as garden gnomes and fake garden flowers. Just no.

You obviously haven’t seen the expensive grass only those naff looking bright green carpet types.

Grammaretto Mon 10-Aug-26 19:47:01

I'm viewing lots of houses at present to downsize into.
One of my must haves is a garden and I don't mean a concrete desert or a huge patio. I want growing , oxygen producing plants, trees, shrubs, flowers, vegetables. I would like a greenhouse like I have now.

I am saddened to see the number of houses where gardens have been replaced with slabs, gravel, carpark, decking etc.
What's wrong with a few weeds and letting nature come up with some surprises.
I have a natural meadow which gets cut back annually. Insects and birds love it and so do I.