Gransnet forums

Gardening

Fake grass ?

(133 Posts)
Shinamae Sat 08-Aug-26 15:40:25

I have this patch of grass (You can see why I hesitate to call it a lawn) and it certainly hasn’t been helped by having a new puppy 🐶🐶🐶🐶
It is I’m afraid beyond redemption,my gardener has suggested I use fake grass, I said I was quite hesitant about it, but he said it has come on so much in the last few years and he’s recommended I give it a try
I just wonder if anybody has any experience of this good or bad

granbabies123 Thu 20-Aug-26 00:23:06

I have it, didn't want it but gave into husband's idea. It was done by our builder lots of work and done properly but not cheap.
What people don't realise is with real grass you use a power tool to cut it and keep it tidy.Artificial grass with a border of plants gets covered in leaves bits of soil etc that need cleaning off. You either have to sweep it or as I do , use a henry vac without the bag in to clean it. It takes much longer to do than a quick zoom over with mower.
We also used to have dogs. Wee on the artificial grass smells in summer heat and needs cleaning with a special product. It looks ok when kept tidy but I didn't want it and never will.

MT62 Wed 12-Aug-26 09:06:52

monami

After my hubby died i had a lawn i couldn't mow, bought a piece of grass off e bay, rolled it out like a carpet, didn't bother with all the foundation fuss, put a stone on each corner to hold it down and it's magnificent, don't let anyone talk you into an expensive con job, mine was £60,

Looks quite nice 👍🏻

MT62 Wed 12-Aug-26 08:56:02

MissAdventure

Eco-friendly fake grass includes options made from up to 80%-100% recycled plastics, single-polymer designs that are fully recyclable, or entirely non-plastic plant-based alternatives like CocoTurf which utilize natural coconut husks and jute. These materials eliminate mowing emissions and reduce landfill waste compared to standard synthetic turf.

Oh I will look into that MA. Never heard of cocoturf 👍🏻

monami Wed 12-Aug-26 08:49:03

Fake or real ?

monami Wed 12-Aug-26 08:44:04

After my hubby died i had a lawn i couldn't mow, bought a piece of grass off e bay, rolled it out like a carpet, didn't bother with all the foundation fuss, put a stone on each corner to hold it down and it's magnificent, don't let anyone talk you into an expensive con job, mine was £60,

MissAdventure Tue 11-Aug-26 16:47:25

Eco-friendly fake grass includes options made from up to 80%-100% recycled plastics, single-polymer designs that are fully recyclable, or entirely non-plastic plant-based alternatives like CocoTurf which utilize natural coconut husks and jute. These materials eliminate mowing emissions and reduce landfill waste compared to standard synthetic turf.

AmberGran Tue 11-Aug-26 15:11:37

We tried to make our front lawn into a clover lawn last year because clover was supposed to manage better in the drought. In the Autumn we could see the beginnings of the clover and it looked well mixed in with the grass. By the Spring it had pretty much disappeared and the lawn is now just a weedy brown path again. There is obviously a knack to it, but I don't know what it is.

Grammaretto Tue 11-Aug-26 15:02:08

If you really don't want anything to grow in your garden just put black plastic sheets down. It's a lot cheaper.

graciemabel Tue 11-Aug-26 14:07:35

I'd never have it. Won't ever degrade, no insect life just smothered soil. Awful stuff!

Grammaretto Tue 11-Aug-26 14:01:13

Why NonnaW? Do you have shares in the plastic grass company?

NonnaW Tue 11-Aug-26 13:30:05

Ah well, I’ll just carry on being naff, nose blind, environmentally unfriendly and all the other insults shared on here.

MissAdventure Tue 11-Aug-26 13:12:20

I'd imagine gnomes are probably part of ancient folklaw.

I think i have read somewhere about them asking for the answer to a riddle, when they appear to surprised (terrified!) passers by.

MissAdventure Tue 11-Aug-26 13:09:28

It's lucky my spelling is, too, because I understand what you mean. grin

Lathyrus3 Tue 11-Aug-26 13:07:14

History

The cataracts get worse😳

Lathyrus3 Tue 11-Aug-26 13:06:29

I went to a very interesting whole days lecture on the Hustiry if the Garden Gnome by Dr Twiggs Way.

Gnomes are not to be sneered at😬

MissAdventure Tue 11-Aug-26 12:58:26

Do what suits you Elusivebutterfly.
Just be sure to get a few gnomes as groundsmen. smile

Lathyrus3 Tue 11-Aug-26 12:57:42

Well no. Not having a car doesn’t compensate for having artificial grass.🤣

Compensate is when you end up back at the starting point

20 - 20 =0

Let’s say pollution of a car is 100 and pollution of artificial grass is 50.

That’s pollution if 150. One is worse than the other but it’s still a total of 150.

There’s no compensation.

You havent not polluted because your pollution is less than someone else’s.

This isn’t an attack on you for wanting artificial grass. It’s a know and of mathematical/linguistic thing that caught my fancy🙂

Elusivebutterfly Tue 11-Aug-26 12:45:20

Misadventure I do agree. I do not have a car and have not travelled abroad for years. I think that compensates for plastic grass!
Jenniren The ground is so boggy early in the year, the grass cannot be cut until it dries out a bit, by which time it is knee high.
J52 fitting artificial grass would be a one off cost for one or two days labour. A weekly gardener for half the year would be very expensive.

J52 Tue 11-Aug-26 12:08:33

I am considering fake grass as it is so difficult to mow the lawn. The first cut of the year needs to be on hands and knees with shears, which takes several days. I mow the lawn in several stages, stopping for a rest with drink and inhaler in between. I cannot afford to pay a gardener. Sometimes practicalities overrule environmental issues.

I understand your reasoning, but how much would fake grass cost compared to years of a gardener cutting your lawn? After all it usually only needs cutting for about 6 months of the year.
Just a thought.

MissAdventure Tue 11-Aug-26 11:27:55

Driving a car is more harmful t the environment than an artificial lawn.

JenniRen Tue 11-Aug-26 11:15:59

"The first cut of the year needs to be on hands and knees with shears, which takes several days"

Why? We have never needed to do that.

Yes, lots of stuff is bad for the environment but why add to it with plastic grass? Perhaps put down gravel and pots?

Elusivebutterfly Tue 11-Aug-26 11:06:22

I am well aware that fake grass is not the best thing for the environment, but lots of things are bad for the environment.

I am considering fake grass as it is so difficult to mow the lawn. The first cut of the year needs to be on hands and knees with shears, which takes several days. I mow the lawn in several stages, stopping for a rest with drink and inhaler in between. I cannot afford to pay a gardener. Sometimes practicalities overrule environmental issues.

vegansrock Tue 11-Aug-26 10:07:10

paddyann why is concern for the environment “snobbish”? On our estate we have turned a scrubby bit of grass into a gravel garden with a great diversity of planting which is fantastic for pollinators and the insect biosystem. A play area has seating areas, swings and soft playbark underfoot instead of the weedy mud that was grass. A small area still has natural lawn , which is totally dried up at the moment, but kids can play football, jump around on it and they aren't worried about it looking pristine. We could have put plastic down because it might be easier/ cheaper but no-one wanted this for environmental reasons.

sf101 Tue 11-Aug-26 09:59:14

I had my small garden laid to fake grass just over 5 years ago. It was well laid and still looks as good as new. I have a dog who wees in one corner I have never smelt any aroma from that corner. She also loves lying on it even on the hottest days.
Heavy rain drains straight through and I give it an occasional sweep usually in autumn when the leaves are falling.
Best thing I ever had done to the garden.

Lathyrus3 Tue 11-Aug-26 09:21:58

A bit of research on the Internet mostly from a firm that specialises in artificial grass for dog owners.

They say

Dog urine does smell. Uris acid, ammonia will smell especially in hot weather.

The artificial grass has to be latex free as this bonds with the chemicals in the urine.

The underlying base has to be special too. It must be porous to allow as much urine as possible to pass through to soil. Sand dies t work either. That holds on to the smell.

The grass will need to be cleaned regularly with a cleaner that neutralises the chemicals in urine. If your dog uses it everyday then at least once a week. If you have several dogs, daily.

It also said do take note if people complain or friends stop coming round.😬

There was a whole load of explanation. I can see why the grass n my rented house reeked. It was probably the wrong stuff, on the wrong base and had never been cleaned.