Gransnet forums

Gardening

Water butt in a small terraced garden

(15 Posts)
Buddleja Thu 27-Aug-26 19:12:13

Has anyone in a small terraced house succeeded in installing a water butt to collect bath water for the garden? How easy was it to install, how invasive is it in a small space, how easy is it to use, what was the impact on your water bill and what did the people who subsequently bought your house think of it?

Cossy Thu 27-Aug-26 19:32:27

I’d like to know too please x

Graphite Thu 27-Aug-26 20:15:22

You’d have to ask a plumber as it would be very specific to the build of your house. My understanding is that grey bath and black toilet water eventually go into the same drain so you would have to divert the waste bath water.

There would need to be a switching mechanism to re-divert the bath (or over-bath shower) water into the drain once the butt was full, which it soon would be if you are not using the water in the garden every day, else the butt will soon be overflowing.

An average bath uses around 80 litres of water. A small butt only holds 100 to 150 litres. A medium one 200 to 250 litres.

It costs around 35p-40p for 80 litres of metered water including sewage charges.

Also, what would be the situation with the chemicals in bath, shower and hair products as well as the general grime, skin and hair loss that goes into the water system?

I think this a question best suited to the Screwfix Community board for the technical aspects of installation and use.

Casdon Thu 27-Aug-26 20:57:49

You can do it gravity fed, as long as your water butt is reachable with your hosepipe and has a little water in the bottom before you start. I remember my engineer dad doing this in 1976. He didn’t put a brick in the bath though, one of us had to hold the hosepipe under! This YouTube video explains, it’s easy to do.

www.google.com/goto?url=CAESYwHrOzAV1ylJCAAZb6rqb1GN9xsvuqFiuePyWg1YOycxEeeO2-rSAUBz9nSCE19I_tww0kPUheJlTqQcz5RHJp4XQSAbG5hmvlrfICZT68h3AE-t8oazULJbNzScCFaPiI7h3A

fluttERBY123 Thu 27-Aug-26 21:48:41

I thought a water butt was just for water coming off the roof.

Casdon Thu 27-Aug-26 22:05:57

No, you can fill it however you want to, it’s just a water storage container.

aggie Thu 27-Aug-26 22:15:03

I’m not sure it’s a good idea storing grey water
I use grey water but just what I save in a bucket
A small garden would not need a butt , just a bucket full

Casdon Thu 27-Aug-26 22:23:14

Surely one bucket full of water is only enough for three or four pots, not a garden? A bath full of water would not water an average garden for more than a couple of days, so you wouldn’t be storing it for long if you did siphon it into a butt? My dad actually just used the hose from the bath though, and watered directly onto the garden, and filled a couple of watering cans for the hanging baskets

DollyRocker Thu 27-Aug-26 23:56:10

I've just bought a small collapsible water butt with taps on it. I plan to put it at the front of the house under the stress point of the gutter where more rain spills over and a large tractor funnel to catch the rain but you can cut the bottom off a large water dispenser bottle and invert it with mesh secured round the spout as cheap improvisation. I have disabilities that make struggling with buckets difficult. Argos do slimline water butts on a stand that might work for you too. I love the bath water and hose video Casdon!

petra Fri 28-Aug-26 07:12:41

What you want is doable but would be hideously expensive and disruptive for what you want.
Why not start with having showers if that’s possible.
Could you use your washing machine less?
Do you collect all your run off water?

Grandmama Mon 31-Aug-26 13:55:06

I have a water butt that collects water from a short length of guttering along what was once the kitchen vestibule. The down pipe used to go into a soak away but we cut the pipe off and poked it into the butt. This is clean water that I use for the bird bath and pond. At the side of the kitchen door is a diverter tank. One of my Sils fitted it. This takes water from the bathroom - bath and wash basin. It's grey water but I use it for watering plants outdoors (I wouldn't use it for houseplants). Sometimes it smells of Badedas! During the drought I had an unending supply of water from this tank. It hasn't harmed any of my flowering plants or veg. I conserve water as much as I can (weekly bath and hair wash). Last year my monthly water debit was £18 and I was in credit at the end of the year. £25 per month this year. Also I don't flush the loo every time and there's a water hippo in the loo tank.

Dizzyribs Mon 31-Aug-26 20:38:55

I’ve got a pipe coming out of the bathroom from underneath the bath and it goes across a bit of wall into the down pipe to the main drain. There’s a screw cap thing that I can unscrew to easily rod the pipe under the bath if it blocks. When there’s a lack of water I use that hole to screw in another pipe that leads straight down to a water butt and a “Heath Robinson” style irrigation system around my little yarden. It actually works really well and only takes about 15 minutes to set up each year, less to take down when winter comes and I don’t need it. Excess water just flows off down the usual drain pipe. It cost the price of a screw fitting bend, a bit of drain pipe, several yards of thinner plastic tubing and the water butt. (Most of which I got from the local freebee group). It wasn’t hard to fix, I’m not a particularly capable DIY person, sewing and knitting are my main hobbies but they don’t really lend themselves to outdoor plumbing 🤣

Oreo Mon 31-Aug-26 21:36:32

In my terraced house yard I have a water butt for rainwater and find that’s enough.

Grandmama Tue 01-Sept-26 18:18:32

To Expand: The wash basin water runs into the bath water down pipe and the pipe comes out of the bathroom wall at just below first floor level at the side of the back door and is fixed to the wall at the side of the back door. Sil cut the pipe just a bit higher than the height of the diverter tank and fixed the diverter equipment to the pipe so it empties into the tank and not the drain. It is a permanent fixture.

This is a picture from B&Q website.

FranP Sun 06-Sept-26 00:38:37

You can buy inline wall mounted butts. These will send the surplus back to the drain.

You can also buy toilets that fill your cistern from your sink, also sending surplus back into the drain.

My butt is connected to the guttering, but does not overflow because of the diversion.

BTW are we all aware that a meter fitted to an outside tap used for the garden can get you a rebate on your water bill