Gransnet forums

Gardening

The grass is green again!

(21 Posts)
singingnutty Sun 06-Sept-26 16:17:37

I never thought that after weeks of drought the lawn would green up so fast and grow so much. Being a sailing widow today as it is a Sunday, rather than go for a boring walk on my own I thought I would get the lawn mower out. Having ascertained it was still working after months in the garden shed I managed to mow the lawn. If DH had been here he would have advised me to lift the blades as the grass really was long. However I continued with the hard work because if you’re going to do a job you may as well do it properly. Off for a shower now!

AmberGran Sun 06-Sept-26 16:21:28

No grass left on my front lawn after two years of baking in the sun sad

Jaxjacky Sun 06-Sept-26 17:00:40

A few green patches of moss and dried spikes of weeds, the rest is uniform beige.

Charleygirl5 Sun 06-Sept-26 17:07:12

No significant rain yet. At least I have saved money not paying a fellow to mow the extensive lawn.

B9exchange Sun 06-Sept-26 18:14:16

My gardener has been spending his time, instead of cutting the grass, fitting chicken wire to the top of all our fencing, so our cats can't get out, march into next door's house and yeowl at them, it doesn't go down too well! 😯

JamesandJon33 Sun 06-Sept-26 18:26:21

Yes grass is greening. Hydrangeas look a lot better and the cosmos is coming out.

Witzend Sun 06-Sept-26 18:30:41

Ours is only just beginning to show a bit of green - it’s going to take a lot more rain!

We were in N Yorks the other day - all that lush green grass! Haven’t seen anything like it here since before about June.

Redrobin51 Sun 06-Sept-26 20:02:17

Ours has greened up nicely and we cut the lawn for the first time in ages and it looks so good. I am amazed how quickly it has recovered but since the drought broke we have had a lot of rain and a fee very bad thunderstorms so the ground was truly soaked.

Oldnproud Sun 06-Sept-26 20:12:20

While there is some green appearing on my lawn, I can't imagine that it will want cutting for a long time yet, apart from one patch that is a different, more resilient type of grass (and weeds).
If it follows the same pattern as in previous hot, dry spells, I thing that the moss will win the race to revive and spread first.

Casdon Sun 06-Sept-26 20:45:05

Mine still looks awful. In fact, it currently looks worse than it did when it was all brown, because the weeds are coming back sooner and stronger than the grass, so it’s patchy, weedy and brown all at the same time. I daren’t put feed and weed on yet, as I’m worried the still brown areas won’t cope with it.

Madmeg Mon 07-Sept-26 01:05:44

Our front lawn is now 100% clover, which I don't mind, but the bigger back lawn is a mess. The patch laid last year has hardly survived an will need re-seeding in many parts before the winter starts to approach. Trouble is I am not at all well right now and can't face doing the job.

25Avalon Mon 07-Sept-26 09:32:41

Alternatives to grass were talked about on Gardeners Question Time. What I didn’t know is that according to GQ grass is the best because although it “dies” on top in hot weather the roots can remain alive and as soon as conditions improve it will throw out new growth. Other plants cannot do this or so they say. I have weeds coming back - maybe self seeded but back nonetheless.

Dylis Mon 07-Sept-26 11:41:42

I noticed the grass verges in my area are greening up very quickly. Its quite amazing to see the difference everyday when walking my dog.

fancythat Mon 07-Sept-26 13:45:57

Ours is back to normal[as far as I can tell] and needs a cut.

nanna8 Mon 07-Sept-26 14:16:14

We are at the start of our hotter dryer weather so the opposite. Lots of dire warnings about incredibly hot days coming and already hitting the north and tropical zones here. It is 12C above average already up in Queensland. Scary. It is only just Spring ( 1 st Sept ) so we have a long, long way to go. The hottest month is usually Feb.

Gwyllt Mon 07-Sept-26 14:18:51

Never mind the grass growing at least you can cut that. I don’t think I have ever seen so many weed seedlings suddenly make an appearance

MawsRosie Mon 07-Sept-26 14:43:47

Nope,not here

Primrose53 Mon 07-Sept-26 15:10:26

My lawn still looks dreadful. I drive around and see green fields, verges, lawns, but mine is yellow/brown with a few small green patches. No idea what’s wrong with it.

Allsorts Sat 12-Sept-26 07:56:41

My lawn must be the only one found here that's got huge yellow patches, it's dreadful, but lawn man still wants to cut it, I have said no as its scalped already but he cannot have earnt anything all summer, so I think he will say I am not on his books anymore. It's back and front and will cost such a lot to have it professionally put right only to be destroyed next year if it's the same hot weather. It won't revive now as weeds are coming through where grass patches are.

Astitchintime Sat 12-Sept-26 08:06:03

Our lawn wasn’t up to much to begin with and the recent drought left it totally parched. However, it hasn’t taken long to come back green but my neighbour, who spent a fortune on “top quality turf” is mortified at the abundance of dandelions that now occupy his not so pristine lawn. I offered the loan of our deep root weed puller thingy but he declined stating he would use weed killer instead………and now the lawn is almost totally destroyed.

MT62 Sun 04-Oct-26 10:16:40

Ours is very green. Just fed it ready for the last cut next week.