Gransnet forums

Gardening

Anyone else getting the allotment ready for winter hibernation?

(2 Posts)
karmalady Sat 12-Sept-26 09:17:53

I don`t go by dates on a calendar, it feels and looks autumnal and already two squash plants have released their winter squashes into my safe-keeping. The crown prince are sitting on rocks and still maturing

Leeks and parsnips are quietly sitting there ready to provide food during winter

I have done the clear-up on the plot and am in process of covering a couple of beds, others have green manures growing already

One bed is ready for the alliums, which are already in stock, they will go in at the end of this month or early october

I have topped bark on my paths and will today start to bring tools and my chair home, I prefer to clean, sharpen and oil at home

All that remains after that is the shed tidy and I am thinking a couple more dustbins with inverted lids for rain catchment

It isn`t just the plot that is shutting down, it is me too, it has been a very busy and productive year and I am very ready for the winter break

butterandjam Tue 15-Sept-26 16:34:46

last two squashes still on their vines waiting to be picked.

I've cleared all the weeds from the paths, and planted out some purple kale, parsley and lettuces. . Yesterday I picked 20 kilos of apples (from one small tree) to be juiced tomorrow at a communal apple pressing day where DH and I will be running the machines. I bottle it in wine bottles , it keeps for a week in the fridge and what we and family don't drink I 'll give away to friends.

I need to have a big clean up of weeds under some fruit trees so that I can spread some of the resulting apple pulp as a mulch for winter.

We (and neighbouring plots) are under badger attack. There is a sett close to the allotments but they don't usually intrude; I suspect this years cubs have become pesky teenagers and been evicted from home . My plot is fenced on all four sides and so far they have dug holes under three of the sides to get in. DH has just acquired some slabs to block the tunnels (anything lighter they just toss aside). Once in they lose interest ( the only damage was a (pointless) hole dug in blueberry patch) but then can't find their tunnel to leave and have twice done some damage to the wooden gate trying to force it open with teeth and claws. I hoped they might eat the snail plague but am more worried they might have murdered my toad and frog.

There will be a few more pickings of runner and french beans, and beetroots. We've already eaten all the potato crop
which was very light this year; onions are harvested and dried but not yet plaited. The greehouse is stuffed with ripening tomatoes, I've even cropped outdoor tomatoes this year ( a first in Scotland) . The other apple trees are not quite ready yet for picking to store.

Once that lot is done I have to tidy the shed which is chaotic mess with things I didn't quite put away, I'll have to empty it all first.