Gransnet forums

Gardening

How do I stop Crocosmia growth

(8 Posts)
MT62 Fri 02-Oct-26 21:58:25

Not brilliant at gardening so hopefully some of you green fingered grans, or gramps can help me out.
So I have a boarder where we grew Crocosmia. Fed up with it so I dug all the corms out. Now growing a variety of evergreens.
My worry is if I’ve missed any corms, will they take over?
Yesterday I covered all the soil with a type of dark blanket that water can get through. I’ve soaked these blankets, & covered with pine bark mulch.
So my question, will this smother any corms that might have been left behind?
The blankets I think are an artificial type wool.
Thanks for any advice.

BlueBelle Fri 02-Oct-26 22:35:14

Montbretia (the name i know it by) is a little devil for popping up everywhere but what a cracker of a plant it is, I can’t imagine not wanting it to grow.
Sorry that wasn’t helpful to your question
What have you done with all the little corms
I bet a pound to a penny it will pop up next year no matter what you use 🤣

Rosie51 Fri 02-Oct-26 23:03:27

Having attempted to rid myself of a patch where I didn't want it I can only say "good luck". It's as tough as old boots and very resistant to being obliterated. I pull it up every year but obviously miss the odd baby corm, but it does get sparser each year. This is the common orange one, my beautiful yellow one Canary Bird and red Lucifer are much less invasive.

MT62 Fri 02-Oct-26 23:14:46

BlueBelle

Montbretia (the name i know it by) is a little devil for popping up everywhere but what a cracker of a plant it is, I can’t imagine not wanting it to grow.
Sorry that wasn’t helpful to your question
What have you done with all the little corms
I bet a pound to a penny it will pop up next year no matter what you use 🤣

The landscaper bloke gave me some ultra strong weed killer, so sprayed it all first. Once it started to die, I dug it all out by hand with my trowel.
There were actually little corms growing under the Indian stone.
Yes I agree, I love these Crocosmia (George Davidson & Ember glow, I think but they don’t flower as well after so many years.
Dug a load out last year & gave the corms away to friends.

SpringyChicken Fri 02-Oct-26 23:16:10

You just have to look out for new crocosmia next spring and summer and pull them up when you see them. Persist and you will win the battle.

MT62 Fri 02-Oct-26 23:18:03

Rosie51

Having attempted to rid myself of a patch where I didn't want it I can only say "good luck". It's as tough as old boots and very resistant to being obliterated. I pull it up every year but obviously miss the odd baby corm, but it does get sparser each year. This is the common orange one, my beautiful yellow one Canary Bird and red Lucifer are much less invasive.

Apparently you have to be careful where you get rid of the corms, can’t just dump them.
Yes I can just see them popping up in the spring. Just hoping this blanket idea smothers them 😅

MT62 Fri 02-Oct-26 23:18:38

SpringyChicken

You just have to look out for new crocosmia next spring and summer and pull them up when you see them. Persist and you will win the battle.

👍🏻

MT62 Fri 02-Oct-26 23:21:11

Rosie51

Having attempted to rid myself of a patch where I didn't want it I can only say "good luck". It's as tough as old boots and very resistant to being obliterated. I pull it up every year but obviously miss the odd baby corm, but it does get sparser each year. This is the common orange one, my beautiful yellow one Canary Bird and red Lucifer are much less invasive.

Love those red lucifer, they grow quite tall, leaves are more spear like.