Gransnet forums

Gardening

I'd like my patio to look...

(68 Posts)
wildrose Sun 23-Apr-17 13:56:49

Leafy and full of greenery! Hello all - hope you're enjoying a lovely sunny Sunday as we are up in the N.E. of England. I have a bare seating area in a sunny (south facing) corner and there is plenty of room to add some big pots so I would welcome suggestions for tall or smaller but fast growing patio plants. I have an Acer which is doing well and have just bought a palm of some sort but it's only maybe 3' in height and I'd like some taller plants with some movement when it's breezy. I don't post often but some of you advise me on caring for my first tomato plants last year and I had great success so my thanks for that smile

Rose

Greyduster Sun 23-Apr-17 15:03:19

What about bamboos? They come in all shapes and sizes and are suitable for pots (in fact they are best confined to a pot or they will invade everywhere). They are lovely when they rustle in the breeze.

wildrose Sun 23-Apr-17 16:03:41

I've just had a look at various bamboo online and they look perfect, thank you! I can only spare £100 this year and hope to be able to buy 3 or 4 things to make an immediate impact. I have just been told of an excellent nursery not too far away so plan to visit as soon as I am more mobile.

Galen Sun 23-Apr-17 16:51:38

I've got citrus trees and a couple of olives a fig and a eucalyptus on mine. Soon there will be loads of bright geraniums as well. A grape vine trained over old boat rigging gives shade and hanging baskets more colour. Pinks, lavender and my rambling rector give perfume. All I want at the moment is sun!

Lona Sun 23-Apr-17 17:05:28

That's really lovely Galen!

J52 Sun 23-Apr-17 17:47:23

That looks very reastful Galan.
There was an interesting item on Gardeners World this week, about a jungly small garden, although they didn't mention too many plants.
We are trying to do something similar with our courtyard and I agree waiting for things to grow tall is a bit of a pain.
I have pots of bamboo, fatsia, and medium sized palms. I am growing a pheasant berry ( it grows fast), clematis and jasmine in pots, as well as smaller hostas.
To make plants look taller I have put them on upturned pots and bricks.

Chewbacca Sun 23-Apr-17 17:51:33

Wisteria sinensis "Prolific" is a large blooming wisteria, specially designed for growing in pots on a patio. Looks, and smells, wonderful.

shysal Sun 23-Apr-17 17:53:29

I have been very pleased with my Jelly Palm. It is in a pot and completely hardy, giving a tropical feel to the patio. It was about 4ft tall when I bought it so I stood it on an upturned pot behind others for height. It has grown about a foot a year so far. I also have a few of those bright green conifers for structure. I have a series of potted plants which I swap around according to what is flowering. They include Pieris Forest Flame, Hydrangeas, Geranium Rozanne, Ivy, Fatsia and bulbs. I wish you luck with your patio, it sounds great.
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Butia-capitata-Hardy-Jelly-Palm-Great-trunk-size-120cm-/122316846729?hash=item1c7aa6f689:g:UnEAAOSwt5hYgKoQ

J52 Sun 23-Apr-17 18:28:55

Thanks for the link shysal I've got one of those, but I didn't know what it was called. It was from the sad plant corner and had lost its label.

kittylester Sun 23-Apr-17 18:34:16

Ooh, I've got one of those in a pot in the front garden.

Your garden looks great Galen. Our next door neighbour has an area like that and other gives great shade in our south facing garden.

Greyduster Sun 23-Apr-17 18:39:39

Could you grow some verbena bonariensis in pots? It grows (at least in my garden) to around five feet and keeps its pretty purple flowers all Summer and well into Autumn.

Penstemmon Sun 23-Apr-17 19:25:06

uk.pinterest.com/pin/114912227966118894/ These are lovely.. do you only have pot space?

hildajenniJ Sun 23-Apr-17 19:32:18

Galen, have you ever grown a Japanese orange tree? I ask as you said you had citrus trees on your patio. My DH bought one at the Harrogate Spring Flower Show yesterday and wonders if it needs special care. He's never grown a citrus tree before, but he's a good gardener so thought he'd give it a go.

hildajenniJ Sun 23-Apr-17 19:36:11

How about a black bamboo. It grows very successfully in a large pot.

J52 Sun 23-Apr-17 19:37:05

I'm growing large crocosmia in a pot, it looks a bit jungley.

kittylester Sun 23-Apr-17 20:19:13

Our garden is the site of a school playground and grass just didn't grow so we have two patios with pots and beds - mostly leafy with odd splashes of colour. The walls are covered in ivy and other climbers.

grannysyb Sun 23-Apr-17 22:05:32

Make sure bamboo is a "clumper", not a "runner". Have a look at websites for advice. It looks lovely and when you cut it you also get canes!

Greyduster Mon 24-Apr-17 12:59:49

Your garden is lovely, kitty. There are elements of it that remind me of our last garden, and I pine for it as this one, though it is coming on year after year, will never be what I really want it to be. It is a split space with nothing to tie it together. Hilda I craved a black bamboo. They make a real statement, but DH said we had enough with three and in the end I had to agree with him as two of them were thugs of the highest order!

pensionpat Mon 24-Apr-17 17:10:15

Ive got a bamboo in a pot and it has been well-contained. We moved the pot a couple of weeks ago. The roots had grown through the. Pot into the ground, so it will have been traumatic. It looks dead now. The whole plant. What are the chances of recovery?

Norah Mon 24-Apr-17 17:22:14

No mention of Oleander, quite lovely, greenery and flowers are plentiful.

nanaK54 Mon 24-Apr-17 17:27:58

Galen and Kitty what beautiful gardens

shysal Mon 24-Apr-17 17:29:52

Love your variety of colour and form Kitty!

Jalima1108 Mon 24-Apr-17 17:31:03

I had an Oleander but I think they are very poisonous. I got rid of it years ago, a shame because they are lovely but better safe than sorry. It was when the next door neighbours' DGC used to lean over the wall for a chat and before we had DGC ourselves.

J52 Mon 24-Apr-17 18:11:28

pensionpat you can probably save your bamboo. I you haven't done so, repot it a larger pot. Use good quality compost and water frequently and well. New little shoots should appear within a couple of weeks.
Last summer I moved two bamboos from one house to another. Against all gardening advice, I had to cut them down to get them in the car.
It took a couple of weeks for them to recover after being repotted. They are a quarter of their original glory, but I'm hoping they will put on more growth this year.

Norah Mon 24-Apr-17 18:21:22

Yes, Oleander are poisonous, as are many plants that are beautiful in gardens. Quite careful to location of poisonous plants & bushes. Behind windows & doors, up & away, in back, whatever works.

We bought some wonderful old doors at a boot sale. Height and privacy there too. empressofdirt.net/doors-windows-garden/