Gransnet forums

Gardening

planting out supermarket herb pots.

(16 Posts)
Fennel Mon 08-Jul-19 12:14:32

Has anyone ever tried this?
I wrote on another thread that I have a patch of soil in our tiny garden where I would like to plant herbs. Tesco have parsley, mint, basil and coriander. I'd like a larger rosemary bush too.
We're in NE England, cool climate, cold winters. The soil is black and good for roses.
Do you think those herbs would survive?

Elegran Mon 08-Jul-19 12:24:40

All those you mention should do well. So should chives, thyme, marjoram, oregano and golden oregano and many others. The house we rented for a week in Dunkeld (Perthshire) had a superb bay tree/bush in the sheltered herb garden beside the kitchen window.
Sink a bottomless bucket or something similar to plant the mint in, or the roots will go out sideways and take over the whole patch.

Pittcity Mon 08-Jul-19 12:46:05

I plant out supermarket herbs. The parsley and mint take well and last for years. The coriander and basil are ok for one summer. I have a large rosemary bush grown from a small plant. I am in East Anglia so they need plenty of water and pruning here.

EllanVannin Mon 08-Jul-19 12:55:13

Yes. I bought a bedraggled mint in a pot at half price a while back. It flourished beautifully in its own bigger pot and I've had some mint sauce a few times from it. It cost me 20p !
Also the rosemary has gone mad in its own pot. Make sure the re-planting pots are quite big because herbs spread and grow better with plenty of room.
The sage I have is more like a shrub.

Callistemon Mon 08-Jul-19 13:50:01

Yes, I have Fennel but in large pots on paving.

Parley does well but it is biennial I think - in fact I have the remnants of a pot from Tesco ready to plant out I've already used much of it already.
Rosemary (sad-looking and reduced in price) and mint have done well but not coriander.
Oregano has seeded itself all over the garden.

We have to get someone to come and prune our bay tree, it was a very small one from a nursery 30 years ago and it would grow to 30ft if we let it.
Our garden centre sells small pots of herbs £10 for 4 as well.

Callistemon Mon 08-Jul-19 13:51:28

Ps mint dies back in the winter then grows back but beware - it spreads!

Grannyknot Mon 08-Jul-19 15:04:39

Fennel I have a thriving herb garden all planted up from supermarket herb pots. I do it all the time - when I spot a strong healthy tub of supermarket herbs I think straight away "Ooh, you're going into the garden".

Pantglas1 Mon 08-Jul-19 15:29:03

Same here - rosemary came from Waitrose and is now thriving in herb garden and mint also but in its own pot as it will over run otherwise. Basil and coriander only last a few months but chives and oregano are still here years later - for what they cost, go for it!

Fennel Mon 08-Jul-19 15:54:11

That's good, thanks all. I haven't found the nearest garden centre yet, so it's more convenient from Tesco. Probably cheaper too.

Auntieflo Mon 08-Jul-19 16:11:26

I think our garden must be odd, because for years I just couldn’t get mint to grow and thrive. But, last year I bought some from Waitrose, and it is doing well in a pot ?.
I also have some parsley that is thriving, as are the chives. My bay tree, was from Freecycle, as a twig, and thyme and oregano are somewhere in the undergrowth ?

SueDonim Mon 08-Jul-19 23:08:30

As well as herbs, salad leaves grow well. A friend bought a punnet of those 'living leaves'. She then carefully separated them out and replanted them into a grow bag. She then had a variety of salad leaves to enjoy for the rest of the summer, all for £1!

Callistemon Mon 08-Jul-19 23:10:12

Chives are another herb which grow everywhere, but not usually where you want them to grow!

Resurgam123 Wed 17-Jul-19 08:23:24

I wondered how Rosemary would manage right up north.
I have a lovely carpet of Red Thyme which spreads but is easy to control.
I also have a lovage plant that is now very tall but very attractive .
It will die back in the winter and come back.
I am after some Sweet Cicely . They are very good for insects to polinate.

BlueBelle Wed 17-Jul-19 08:29:06

I have a big pot full of watercress grown from a small stalk it is grown in compost not water but you do have to keep it moist every day and pinch out the flowers

Resurgam123 Wed 17-Jul-19 08:33:43

Last year about Christmas in a Wyevale GC I bought a small bunch of varous coloured Swiss Chard seedlings very cheaply.
It grew really grew well and kept us in Chard well into the summer when it went to seed. I hope they might have some more.

Missfoodlove Wed 17-Jul-19 09:48:33

I have planted basil, coriander and chilli plants from the supermarkets with great success.
I did a nice have a hanging basket full of herbs by the kitchen door. This worked really well.