Gransnet forums

Gardening

my lawn has been taken over!

(56 Posts)
humptydumpty Thu 09-Apr-20 10:53:39

It's almost impossible to see grass in my lawn now as it has been taken over by swathes of the plant in the picture. Does anyone know what this is, or the best way to get rid of it so that I can re-seed with grass? Thanks all!

notanan2 Thu 09-Apr-20 11:22:17

It looks nice and will probably need less watering than grass in the hot weather.

"wild lawns" are very in now.

Auntieflo Thu 09-Apr-20 11:32:23

It looks a bit like one of those geranium type plants.

Grannytomany Thu 09-Apr-20 12:16:06

Yes, I'm pretty sure it's one of the hardy geraniums.

mary51 Thu 09-Apr-20 14:12:30

Could be a hardy geranium. There is one very small one with pink flowers. It acts like ground cover if you let it and will quickly spread. Or there is a slightly bigger purple flowered one. If you want to get rid of it there will be lots of rhizomes to pull up. But it is pretty as it is. (Unless it is something else altogether)!

humptydumpty Thu 09-Apr-20 14:24:44

Thanks all. Yes, I think it is a hardy geranium, and it seems intent on colonising every space going in my garden! Personally I rather like it - my lawn looked like a bit of a wildflower meadow last summer. I think mainly I feel gulty because all the other houses in my 'row' have grass lawns! - though that may not be true once all this is over...

quizqueen Thu 09-Apr-20 14:40:23

Are they daisies?

dontmindstayinghome Thu 09-Apr-20 14:46:36

My lawn and flower borders gets completely swamped with 'babies tears' - not sure what the real name is.
I pull it out regularly but can't seem to eradicate it completely.

MiniMoon Thu 09-Apr-20 15:40:15

Looks like buttercups to me. Wait until they flower, then you'll know.

Baggs Thu 09-Apr-20 17:34:29

You also have dandelions (which insects love) and at least one lesser celandine in there and, no doubt, various mosses — a natural wild meadow. People actually make efforts to achieve such! Leave it all to flower. It'll look lovely, especially to wildlife.

midgey Thu 09-Apr-20 17:44:53

I wage constant war on buttercups in my lawn, but...you do have to admire the rotters don’t you!

Baggs Thu 09-Apr-20 17:47:34

Why wage war on them? They're gorgeous if you just let them flower.

Baggs Thu 09-Apr-20 17:48:48

You might even find you have more than one kind: meadow and creeping and, possibly, even bulbous.

Bikerhiker Thu 09-Apr-20 23:56:21

Looks like buttercups to me.

Callistemon Fri 10-Apr-20 00:08:33

It looks like creeping buttercup to me, which is very invasive.

Callistemon Fri 10-Apr-20 00:15:09

I'm trying to achieve a wild meadow, well more of a strip, Baggs but some plants just take over, eg creeping buttercup, dandelions.
Convolvulus has lovely flowers but I don't want it strangling everything else.

Baggs Fri 10-Apr-20 07:47:03

Creeping buttercups and dandelions are classic flowers of wildflower meadows, callis.

The exotic-looking pictures of so-called wildflower meadows we see associated with packets of mixed seed are usually not of native plants that would normally have been found in ancient UK meadows. Most people don't realise this, unfortunately.

Baggs Fri 10-Apr-20 07:50:27

And the fact that non-native seeds are included means that these flower mixes are not as useful to native insects as, one hopes, people who sow them expect.

Plantlife.org and BSBI (the Botanical Society of Britain and Ireland) have lots of info.

Pikachu Fri 10-Apr-20 07:52:33

native wild flower mix

Well this says native so unless the BHS are lying why not try these.

Pikachu Fri 10-Apr-20 07:55:16

Of course native species are quite specific to different areas and soils. Plants that thrive on, for example chalk uplands, who not do well in wetter, darker soils.

Baggs Fri 10-Apr-20 07:56:15

This is part of one of my wildflower areas. The yellow flowers are Cat's-ear which flower later than dandelions. Check out the clover too. There are also rushes and sedges in there and various mosses.

As well, of course, as some Northern Marsh Orchids, one of which is pictured.

Grammaretto Fri 10-Apr-20 07:59:42

Deffo creeping buttercup. I made a decision to leave my lawn to nature this year, create a natural meadow. However I'm now getting nervous . I'm afraid the nettles will be 6ft high.
Has anyone tried?

Nannytopsy Fri 10-Apr-20 08:02:20

Nice one Baggs! We are invaded by violets.

Esspee Fri 10-Apr-20 08:15:07

It looks like a geranium (cranesbill) to me, clearly self seeded so you must know the mother plant. I would take a guess at endressi which is a peachy pink, flowers from April/May until late autumn.
Personally I always feel it is better to go with nature. That part of your garden doesn't want to be lawn so don't force the issue.
As the geranium likes it there you can encourage it by removing the dandelions, lamium, and anything else growing amongst it then splitting the geraniums and planting evenly all over. It will root quickly if you water it and by summer you will have a sea of pink flowers which is excellent at suppressing weeds.
Wildflower meadow is another option but Labour intensive to be kept pretty. For large parts of the year is will simply look abandoned and neglected.

Esspee Fri 10-Apr-20 08:30:34

@Grammaretto I turned a wide strip in front of my house into a quasi wildflower meadows a number of years ago. It was quite a project. I used seed and plugs. Neighbours would donate things like buttercups they wanted rid of and any seed packet remains. Anything that looked the part went in. I wasn't precious about it being genuine wild flowers believing that as long as the bees were happy it was fine with me.
It got better and better until last year when some rampant ugly grass took over. I now don't feel I have the energy to fight the grass as it is so difficult to dig out and I'm not up to it.
Am now contemplating covering it all in black plastic for a few years then having it dug over and planted with groundcover, or perhaps decorative stone chips. So sad. It was lovely.