Gransnet forums

Gardening

Can anyone identify this plant?

(25 Posts)
Auntieflo Tue 02-Jun-20 09:23:37

I noticed this flower recently, and I do not know what it is.

To me, the little flowers look a bit like an Iris, but they are very small, and I have no idea where they came from.

gillybob Tue 02-Jun-20 09:28:14

Honeysuckle? (Mine looks like that anyway)

Wibby Tue 02-Jun-20 09:32:29

Agapanthus?

Lisagran Tue 02-Jun-20 09:32:36

I’m sure they Irises. This one maybe?

Lisagran Tue 02-Jun-20 09:33:21

*they’re

Auntieflo Tue 02-Jun-20 09:33:42

Hi Gillybob I don't think it is a honeysuckle!

It is growing from those strappy leaves that you can see behind the flower head.

Could be wrong ?

Rosepaul Tue 02-Jun-20 09:35:31

I think its called stinking iris, when the flowers fade you get red berries in the pods and they self seed very easily.

Auntieflo Tue 02-Jun-20 09:35:45

Ooh Lisagran, I do hope they are, but if they are Irises, surely they need to be in sun, and these are hidden in the undergrowth, as it were.

Thanks to both of you for such speedy responses.

Auntieflo Tue 02-Jun-20 09:36:37

This is interesting. Rosepaul, do they really stink?

Rosepaul Tue 02-Jun-20 09:37:40

No that is just what they are called but i understand they do grow well in shady areas.

lemongrove Tue 02-Jun-20 09:41:31

They are irises, we have lots of them, they spread underground. Rosepaul is correct, iris foetidissma ( unsure of spelling.) rest assured though, the blooms and leaves don’t smell! They are evergreen, so nice strappy foliage and they enjoy some shade, a woodland setting suits them.
You can just see one in the pic ( on the right.)

Lisagran Tue 02-Jun-20 09:46:04

I think Rosepaul is right

grandMattie Tue 02-Jun-20 09:49:13

Iris foetidus or stinking Iris. the red berries are very pretty, but beware, they seed very easily and you get an invasion.

Auntieflo Tue 02-Jun-20 09:51:13

Well, thanks everyone.
I love it when things just appear, and they usually do well, rather than me trying to pop things where I want them to be.

Lemongrove, I also have some of that yellow flowered plant, in your picture. Again, no idea what it is called!

This year, we have had the very welcome addition of several Foxgloves in the back garden. So, I shall try and encourage them to stay and make big clumps. (I hope)

Lilypops Tue 02-Jun-20 09:59:45

I have the same flower it was given to me by a neighbour ,but she didn’t know what it was, It does look like an iris but a small one, So now I know what it is, On another note,,
Does anyone have an invasive plant in their garden that has leaves like a clover and has pink flowers on, it grows from tiny brown seeds that multiply under the soil , no matter how much I pull it out seeds as well , it just comes back,
I would love to know how to get rid if anyone knows ,

b1zzle Tue 02-Jun-20 10:06:36

It's oxalis, Lilypops. Diligent, persistent weeding required!

SpringyChicken Tue 02-Jun-20 10:11:56

Auntieflo, the yellow one is sisyrinchium

jaylucy Tue 02-Jun-20 10:15:53

It's some sort of iris. I have a clump of it in my garden from a potted one that was given to my mum many years ago. Needs plenty of water and a shady spot

Alexa Tue 02-Jun-20 10:59:17

I have some of those which I don't remember planting I dislike them for being peely wally sick looking irises but allow them to stay as I admire their pluck in surviving being run over by the car, and living in deep shade.

kittylester Tue 02-Jun-20 11:31:57

I want some!!

gillybob Tue 02-Jun-20 11:40:23

I love gardening but you could write my plant knowledge on a postage stamp ! The flowers just looked similar Auntieflo smile

gillybob Tue 02-Jun-20 11:47:51

Just wanted to share a photo of my little Daisy hanger that my older DGC bought me for Mother’s Day a few years ago . It never ceases to throw out the most wonderful display of daisies smile

Lilypops Tue 02-Jun-20 12:48:35

B1zzle. Thankyou. Oh it’s so pesky. DH dug down a foot last year to try and get all the seeds out , but it just comes back every year taking over the other plants. As you say persistent ,diligent weeding.

Auntieflo Tue 02-Jun-20 16:17:02

Gillybob, those daisies are lovely. Are they the ones I call Batchelor's Buttons?

Alexa, the irises are a bit poorly looking, but I am going to keep them, as they have struggled through a lot of competition to put up some flowers. Actually, when I looked closer, there is a biggish clump, quite hidden.

gillybob Tue 02-Jun-20 17:44:57

Oh I’ve no idea Auntieflo . I thought they were just plain old daisies. smile

The sky has gone very black here on the NE coast . I think we have a storm brewing .