Gransnet forums

Gardening

Scarifled lawn too early

(5 Posts)
Sparkling Fri 26-Feb-21 07:51:15

I have done something very silly, don't know what came came over me. Such a beautiful day yesterday and I scarified the lawn. This morning a frost. Has anyone any idea if this will kill the lawn by making it weak.?

B9exchange Fri 26-Feb-21 08:42:37

I expect you were lulled into thinking it was April! grin. I am sure you won't have done any lasting damage, certainly oversprinkling with this stuff www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07ND2VQNG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?psc=1&tag=gransnetforum-21&ie=UTF8 and perhaps a lawn feed will work miracles!

Katie59 Fri 26-Feb-21 08:43:26

It will recover but you won’t need it mow for a while, LOL
A dressing of lawn fertilizer will help.

Susiewong65 Fri 26-Feb-21 19:58:10

I doubt it will weaken the lawn. I applied weed and feed to mine last weekend so all the rain could wash it in.
There is so much moss in it that it will need scarifying in the next few weeks but in the meantime the moss has turned black and the whole lawn looks a sight but I know that it will come back.
Last year I missed the process because of lockdown and the warm dry Spring weather which went on into the Summer so this year I’ve decided to get ahead of the curve.

bikergran Sat 27-Feb-21 18:32:36

I'm sure it will recover fine, have you ever tried to stop! grass growing lol.

Many moons ago we scarified ours to death very early on in the year. Later on when it started growing, it was the best lawn we had ever had, even better the year after.

We just took more care with mowing and feeding it.