Gransnet forums

Gardening

Will anything outgrow ground elder???

(31 Posts)
teabagwoman Thu 12-Jan-23 20:35:51

I have a west facing border containing a few young shrubs and a mass of ground elder. I’d like to plant some perennials to fill in the gaps between the shrubs but will anything outgrow the ground elder which is coming through from next door. The soil is neutral, very heavy clay and is full of stones. I suspect there are also pockets of concrete/rubble buried underneath. It depresses me every time I look at it, can any of you wonderful gardeners help me?

Casdon Thu 12-Jan-23 20:58:43

You could try Mexican marigold, my SIL used it to kill ground elder in one of her borders, apparently it releases a chemical that’s toxic to ground elder. I’ve never tried it myself, but it did work.

Daisymae Thu 12-Jan-23 22:38:57

I didn't know that anything would outgrow ground elder. The only sure way is to dig it out, but that's not without its challenges. I would be inclined to apply a weed killer. One that's targeted and be vigilant for the next few years. My neighbours have a flame thrower for the weeds, I guess that is chemical free. I have actually got a variegated elder it's not so vigorous as the usual kind. The extreme temperatures last summer have all but done for it.

J52 Thu 12-Jan-23 23:09:46

I have the same problem with neighbours ground elder and find that Crainsbill geraniums have kept it at bay bay.

LisaAN Thu 12-Jan-23 23:21:58

Apparently ground elder is edible and quite nice tasting. I have not tried it yet though as I can never find any. I’m probably not foraging in the right places.

teabagwoman Fri 13-Jan-23 07:21:36

I like the idea of attacking it with a flame thrower Daisymae. However I think I’d be safer trying the Mexican marigold or geraniums as my sight isn’t good and I have visions of fire engines racing to the rescue.

merlotgran Fri 13-Jan-23 08:37:58

If it’s coming through from next door a systemic weed killer like glyphosate is the only answer.

Daisymae Fri 13-Jan-23 08:58:19

teabagwoman

I like the idea of attacking it with a flame thrower Daisymae. However I think I’d be safer trying the Mexican marigold or geraniums as my sight isn’t good and I have visions of fire engines racing to the rescue.

Apparently the Romans introduced it as a food. Apparently you can fry the young leaves with olive oil. Not really fancied it myself wink

Fleurpepper Fri 13-Jan-23 09:07:09

I've learnt to live with it. I do eat it too. It's actually quite a good filler, and not bad looking at all.

Early spring, when they first come up with their reddish nodule, and nothing else has come up, I do dig up the nodules and follow the roots as far as I can go. All goes into our normal bin and not compost for obvious reasons. And I make sure it never has a chance to seed.

It is also called gout weekd- and was used in poultices.

loopyloo Fri 13-Jan-23 09:07:33

Flame thrower only kills above ground so plants regrow in a day or two. I've one in the shed.
Like the idea of Mexican marigolds.
Really though I think the answer is careful hand weeding then spraying near the boundary with systemic weed killer.

Fleurpepper Fri 13-Jan-23 09:07:36

I par boil mine for 1 minute, than toss in butter.

Fleurpepper Fri 13-Jan-23 09:07:57

Often mixed with young nettle.

MrsKen33 Fri 13-Jan-23 09:15:22

Thanks for that*Casdon*. I researched Mexican marigold and it recommends it for bind weed and other weeds also. Just ordered some .

Jackiest Fri 13-Jan-23 09:36:53

Treeat it as a crop and eat it. It does taste quite nice.

Baggs Fri 13-Jan-23 09:53:53

It is certainly edible but I found it had too much of a laxative effect.

I believe some forms of perennial geraniums help to keep it in check.

It's actually quite a nice looking plant if you let it flower.

teabagwoman Fri 13-Jan-23 10:19:41

Thanks for the warning about “side effects” Bags, smile I agree it doesn’t look that bad, it’s just that there’s so much of it and I feel guilty about letting it get such a hold.

Wheniwasyourage Fri 13-Jan-23 12:40:40

I read somewhere that lamium can compete with it successfully. I've put a few bits of a creeping perennial yellow-flowered one in an infested border, but it's too early to say yet.

Fleurpepper Sun 15-Jan-23 19:01:49

I've got a small border I want to replant- so this spring, as early as poss, I shall dig everything out, take all the soil out and spread on a tarp and try and get every bit of root out before mixing with good compost and plant up again.

But even then, I am sure it will be back!

ExperiencedNotOld Sun 15-Jan-23 19:37:32

Fleurpepper

I've got a small border I want to replant- so this spring, as early as poss, I shall dig everything out, take all the soil out and spread on a tarp and try and get every bit of root out before mixing with good compost and plant up again.

But even then, I am sure it will be back!

This is exactly what we did in a border 12 x 4 foot - a lot of soil. But sat on the ground, sifting through dryish soil (we’ve got greensand, so never sodden anyway), you’ll get it done. We planted a drift of annuals in the ground over the two years it took, all been clear for about five years now.
Trouble is, I spy another patch in a completely different place….

Fleurpepper Sun 15-Jan-23 19:45:10

Ah thanks for the encouragement- yes, this is the smallest border- no chance I'll get rid of it in the others. As said, I will get rid of all the reddish nodules very early, trying to follow roots as far as I can- and then ...stop obsessing about it! lol

Fleurpepper Sun 15-Jan-23 19:53:11

A couple of years ago, one day, I stopped and looked at it growing among roses and perenials. And forced myself to take stock - is it really ugly? Answer, no. Does it to the other plants any harm? Answer, no.

So why the hatred and obsession? No answer.

ExperiencedNotOld Sun 15-Jan-23 20:16:51

Fleurpepper

A couple of years ago, one day, I stopped and looked at it growing among roses and perenials. And forced myself to take stock - is it really ugly? Answer, no. Does it to the other plants any harm? Answer, no.

I think is does do harm - I lost lily of the valley and it slowly strangled Shanta daisies. The daisies were rescued by digging the lot up and cleaning out, overwintering/spring 8n ia pot to check for regrow before replanting. I also lost a sizeable salvia at the same time, but my jury is still out on that.

Casdon Sun 15-Jan-23 20:46:38

ExperiencedNotOld

Fleurpepper

I think is does do harm - I lost lily of the valley and it slowly strangled Shanta daisies. The daisies were rescued by digging the lot up and cleaning out, overwintering/spring 8n ia pot to check for regrow before replanting. I also lost a sizeable salvia at the same time, but my jury is still out on that.

It’s not hatred or obsession, it’s a bl…y nuisance. It strangles out the roots of less vigorous plants, which means it’s a no no for keen gardeners. If you’re not interested in gardening, it’s relatively pretty I suppose, but ultimately it will take over your whole garden if you let it.

Fleurpepper Sun 15-Jan-23 20:58:31

I am an avid gardener- but cottage style, and I grow mainly strong perenials and roses. I find that as I get older, I am much more tolerant. As said, I do get rid of as much as poss early Spring, but then relax. I never grow bedding plants and the like, so perhaps it is easier.

Some of the plants we consider weeds are loved and admired elsewhere in the world, and vice versa. Life is too short (that is of course my opinion- we can disagree). I inherited beds mixed with ground elder- and it would be impossible to eradicate. I've come to terms with this.

Fleurpepper Sun 15-Jan-23 20:59:12

What do you suggest I do???

Napalm, nuclear bomb, glysulphate?