Gransnet forums

Gardening

My poorly rose

(33 Posts)
tanith Thu 18-May-23 09:55:26

It’s called One in a Million and the first two years flowered beautifully but this year it appears ‘stuck’. It started to shoot a few wks ago but then stopped and it’s done nothing for the last month. Any ideas? I’ve watered it a bit this week but don’t want to feed it in case I make worse.

Aldom Thu 18-May-23 09:59:35

I'd say feed your rose. It's normal practice to give the first feed in April. Good luck.
I remember someone telling me that their potted Camellia never flowered. They were impressed by the flowers on mine. When I asked if they fed their camellia the answer was 'No'.

Casdon Thu 18-May-23 09:59:48

I’d try some Mycorrhizal fungi, it worked really well on my roses in pots. It definitely won’t kill it. I’ve put most of my roses into the garden now, as I don’t think they like pots long term, and they are looking much better this year.

tanith Thu 18-May-23 10:03:53

I’ll give a feed and see what happens I’ll be very sad if it dies it was given to me in memory of my late husband.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 18-May-23 10:07:33

It might be happier in the ground or in a larger pot (at least 40cm diameter). If you’re going to replant, sprinkle mycorrhizal fungi on the roots and give it some food - better late than never.

Norah Thu 18-May-23 14:27:22

We use bone meal. Perhaps that might help.

J52 Thu 18-May-23 14:31:18

I’d check the soil for vine weevils. This is a common cause of previously healthy potted plants going into a decline.
They eat the roots.

Callistemon21 Thu 18-May-23 15:30:20

If you can plant it in a garden bed it might be happier.

Some of the soil in our garden pots has become very compacted over the winter which can't be good for the roots, we're going to have to investigate.

I'm a ruthless pruner too, I'd have hacked it down further although DH would be trying to stop me. The roses seem quite happy after a good prune (probably too late for yours this year now).

Callistemon21 Thu 18-May-23 15:31:09

Roses do need a good feed too.

Esmay Mon 22-May-23 17:14:57

I think that your plant is okay - just in need if of some TLC so don't despair .

I don't know this rose .

Is it a lovely fragranced pink and perhaps Mum in a Million ?

My neighbour bought one in memory of her mother and was in tears as it failed .
We replaced it and it's gorgeous .

If you grow plants in pots they will usually need repotting to a slightly larger pot and feeding as the soil will be exhausted .

Give it a regular feed .
Water to keep the soul moist .
And at the end of the season a new pot with fresh soil or plant it out .

Esmay Mon 22-May-23 17:20:15

Found it !

A rich perfumed red and what I call a modern shape .

I think that I'd follow the same advice and from other gransnetters too .

tanith Mon 22-May-23 19:07:05

I repotted it last Autumn and gave it some long lasting fertiliser and you're right its red and smells divine.

Greyduster Mon 22-May-23 19:16:18

Bonemeal. Excellent. Roses love it.

Norah Mon 22-May-23 19:39:38

Greyduster

Bonemeal. Excellent. Roses love it.

Indeed. Our roses thrive with bone meal.

Esmay Tue 23-May-23 13:57:35

Had another look at the photo :

The root stock should be covered with soil though it's unlikely to cause a delay in growth , but suckers can develop .
There's a lot of die back on the pruning .

When was it pruned ?

I think that your rose has had a shock -anything could have caused it .
Some of my previously very healthy cuttings aren't doing as well as they usually do .

I've done rose cuttings for 50 years and never had a problem before and
I'm wondering about extremes of temperatures .

Just water and feed and I'm sure that it will recover .

tanith Tue 23-May-23 14:07:50

It was pruned in late February I think and its been in a sheltered corner against a wall for the Winter and we've had a really mild Winter hardly any frost. I will add some fresh soil and cover the root properly.

Esmay Tue 23-May-23 15:16:28

Sometimes plants fail .

My neighbour's first Mum in a Million did .

One of my newly bought roses died after blooming so well .

I know that many gardeners prune early in the year .
I've always pruned late Autumn .

Wishing you luck .

Norah Tue 23-May-23 15:24:05

I carried very warm water round to all the roses, a few weeks ago. Perhaps better covering the roots, bone meal, and quite warm water?

Our roses are doing very well. Pretty enough for a garden party.

Daisymae Tue 23-May-23 16:17:27

I guess that the cold weather has caused it to pause. I would feed and water it, I think that it will be just fine but a bit later to bloom this year.

Callistemon21 Tue 23-May-23 17:36:36

Ours were pruned late this year but are starting to flower.

Forsythia Mon 29-May-23 20:14:47

In the autumn we put manure all around our roses and prune back. We also mulch. With potted roses we take the top layer of soil off and replace with manure.
Ours are all going mad at the moment.

Callistemon21 Mon 29-May-23 20:16:29

Forsythia

In the autumn we put manure all around our roses and prune back. We also mulch. With potted roses we take the top layer of soil off and replace with manure.
Ours are all going mad at the moment.

Ours are too.

I have a miniature rose in a pot (it was a gift) and am wondering whether to plant it outside in a garden bed or just in a bigger pot.

Patsy70 Mon 29-May-23 20:30:59

Don’t despair. One of my roses looked quite poorly in its pot, so I transferred it to the border, adding mycorrhizal to the roots in the planting hole, watering and feeding it. I’m hoping it will flourish. 🤞

Forsythia Mon 29-May-23 20:36:34

We planted lots of roses that we bought in a sale. Many looked poorly but you should see them now. It’s true they are happier in the ground.

BlueBalou Tue 30-May-23 07:03:09

Callistemon I put mine in the garden border and 10 years on it’s about 2’ circumference and still blooming prolifically.