Gransnet forums

Gardening

No trees 😢

(4 Posts)
Spidergran3 Thu 08-Oct-26 11:29:35

Yesterday we had the last two trees removed from our garden due to honey fungus. I’m bereft. The garden looks so bare and soulless now. When we moved here nearly twenty years ago there was a willow tree and silver birch trees. We planted a damson and rowan tree - now all gone. Honey fungus stays in the ground for hundreds of years and spreads for miles so it’s pointless replanting. At least the shrubs seem unaffected- for now.

25Avalon Thu 08-Oct-26 11:44:36

Yew and bamboo are supposed not to be susceptible to Honey Fungus. With a blanket bleak canvas you need to look at other plants you can grow. First you need to get all the black strands of hf out and then leave the ground bare for 6 months. In that time consider what you would like to grow. For height you could grow something up an obelisk such as a rose or clematis. You could also grow a small to medium tree in a large pot. If it’s a fruit tree it needs to be on dwarf stock. Don’t despair. There are ways round this.

blue14 Thu 08-Oct-26 11:48:21

Oh I am so sorry to hear this.
However. you can still get height in your garden with clematis and climbing plants - although certainly not tree height!
I have a little silver birch tree which I love.
I realise trees add another dimension to the garden and you will miss them.

I have seen fruit trees advertised which can be grown in a large barrel - don't know how successful these are but maybe something to think about.

nanna8 Thu 08-Oct-26 12:03:26

Eucalypts grow very,very quickly and maybe that fungus might not like them ? Would boiling water kill it? I am not familiar with it so likely I am talking through my proverbial.