Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

unusual surname

(11 Posts)
Polly147 Wed 09-Oct-13 13:59:42

Thank you. I'm just exploring the fascinating options on Gransnet.

Fiftysomething Fri 31-May-13 13:07:17

Hi....am new hwere and just picked this thread up. I work with a Groarke and he is from Ireland

tanith Sat 07-Apr-12 10:48:01

I used to work with a Ricky (Richard?) Groarke in London until about 8yrs ago.. I believe he now lives in Devon or Cornwall with his family.

redamanthas Sat 07-Apr-12 10:16:05

Just to add a postscript to above, one find I did have before his marriage to my paternal great grandmother is that he was lodging in Cardiff with a William Herry. I can find no trace of William since then. Any ideas?

redamanthas Sat 07-Apr-12 10:14:24

My maiden name is Herry and my great grandfather apparently came here from France. I haven't been able to trace him as my French is non existant and apparently unless he/his parents were landowners (they weren't) it is unlikely to find any trace. How frustrating when on other sides of the family I've been able to go back to the early 1700's.

Oxon70 Fri 16-Mar-12 14:18:47

In 1911 there were 67 Groarkes in England, all in the North.
If you are not on Ancestry I am willing to look stuff up for you. PM me?

Oxon70 Fri 16-Mar-12 12:52:28

I got curious and googled the name, it seems to be Irish?....and of course then Canadian and US....like my emigrated relatives!

fuchsia Fri 16-Mar-12 12:16:26

You could try the Guild of One Name Studies also known as GOONS. The website is http://one-name.org/

maggiemay42 Fri 09-Mar-12 22:05:11

thanks for info had quick look go back when have more time looks good smile

grannyactivist Fri 09-Mar-12 20:52:35

maggiemay42 Click on the links below and you should get off to a reasonably good start. smile Good hunting.
www.ancestry.co.uk/name-origin?surname=groarke
genforum.genealogy.com/groarke/

maggiemay42 Fri 09-Mar-12 20:32:47

has anybody come accross the surname GROARKE it was my uncles name i beleive he came from the manchester area originaly llike a lot of things i never asked him about his name while he was alive he has one surviving son living in the south but apart from him i dont know of anybody else with name i wonder if it was oroarke not yet doing family tree but hope to start soon have enjoyed reading all your coments