Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Does anyone remember an old advert for cider?

(11 Posts)
ecci Tue 05-Feb-13 14:33:12

Can anyone remember an advert with a jingle that went 'cider from Devon, absolute heaven'? Can't remember any more and can't remember the name of the brand.
My husband is convinced I've made it up and keeps quoting the Coates ad about 'Coates comes up from Somerset, where the cider apples grow', but I'm sure there was this other one about the same time - it would have been maybe in the 60s-ish.
Thanks for your help.

Nelliemoser Tue 05-Feb-13 17:23:59

I remember the Coates one. I also remember so frequently drinking cider and then being sick that in the just the smell of cider made me sick.
It was very cheap in the mid 1960s. We used to drink a quart bottle between 4 friends. I think one quart bottle cost about 2s 6d.

glammanana Tue 05-Feb-13 17:47:49

I can also remember the Coates advert and also remember cider being very cheap we used to buy a cider called Merrydown when we lived in NewQuay in our youth, we used to congregate in a pub called The Sailors Arms which had the straw on the floor and the atmosphere to match. happy days smile

Sook Tue 05-Feb-13 18:18:46

Bulmers country cider (rolling rrrs) Bulmers dry reserve or something along those lines. I've never heard of Coates.

feetlebaum Tue 05-Feb-13 18:50:06

"Coates comes up from Zummerzet,
Whee the zoider apples grow..."

I remember them... Merrydown was what daring teens took to parties in the 1950s...

When I lived in Cornwall there was scrumpy a-plenty - you could go into a farmhouse cellar, and slake your thirst from a barrel. Some of the older men in the village drank a half-pint of scrumpy, mixed with a half-pint of sherry! I tried it once - it was lovely, going down or coming up...

Ana Tue 05-Feb-13 18:51:42

We used to buy Woodpecker - half a bottle and we thought we were drunk! It was only about 3%...

POGS Tue 05-Feb-13 20:33:51

Was it Whiteways Cider?

Nelliemoser Tue 05-Feb-13 23:35:45

Woodpecker was Bulmers I had to look that up earlier. That was what I drank in my much younger days. Before I could legally buy it. shock

netflamer Fri 03-Jul-15 23:51:24

cider from Devon and absolute heaven - Whiteways, Whiteways!

Marelli Sat 04-Jul-15 00:26:06

Davenport's?

mrsmopp Fri 10-Jul-15 07:04:56

Davenports was Beer at Home and was delivered!