Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Monopoly

(10 Posts)
Maniac Fri 08-Feb-13 10:34:53

The iron has been replaced in the new version of Monopoly.What are your thoughts and memories of the iron -and Monopoly?

absent Fri 08-Feb-13 10:39:44

I still have a pre-war Monopoly set, complete with all its original bits and pieces stuffed away somewhere in the glory hole upstairs. I don't suppose a flat iron has a lot of significance these days – indeed, did it then? What has it been replaced with?

When I was doing A levels in 1969, we had a permanent Monopoly game in one of the common rooms. You'd leave the board to go to the exam room, come back three hours later and find someone had mortgaged all your property and sold your hotels. I think it kept going for three or four weeks.

gillybob Fri 08-Feb-13 10:55:38

The iron has been replaced by a kitten Absent

I love Monopoly. Sadly don't get much chance to play these days.

Ana Fri 08-Feb-13 10:57:26

It says in the report I read that it was a close-run thing between the shoe, the iron or the wheelbarrow. I don't remember a wheebarrow...confused

sunflowersuffolk Fri 08-Feb-13 11:07:34

I like the little dog

annodomini Fri 08-Feb-13 11:13:48

I know I would never have chosen the iron when I played Monopoly. I never liked ironing and it would have brought me bad luck - not that I was ever much good at the game in any case.

absent Fri 08-Feb-13 11:36:01

I don't remember a wheelbarrow either.

shysal Fri 08-Feb-13 12:01:24

I always choose the dog and prop him on his nose. I am pleased there is now a cat and no iron, the same applies in my life!

susieb755 Fri 08-Feb-13 22:56:58

I don't remember a wheelbarrow.. i was always the dog, my brothers used to argue over the car, but we always made my poor mum be the iron !There was a hat and a boot I think?

absent Sat 09-Feb-13 07:27:22

I think that the man who invented the game used charms from his wife's bracelet as the playing pieces in his prototype – racing car, battleship, flat iron, boot, dog, top hat and thimble are the ones I recall. I believe other playing pieces appeared in different versions of the game.