Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

old radio programmes in pre TV days

(109 Posts)
mrsmopp Tue 14-May-13 21:12:10

Journey into Space scared me to death!

Have A Go with Wilfred Pickles, Mabel at the table and Harry Hudson at the piano.
He went round the country interiewing ordinary people.

feetlebaum Sun 25-Aug-13 16:18:20

I found this on Youtube! www.youtube.com/watch?v=987Cr8K8nPI

feetlebaum Sun 25-Aug-13 16:07:12

Ah @Poppikok - that was Happidrome, with Harry Koris (Mr Lovejoy), Cecil Fredericks (Ramsbottom) and Robbie Vincent (Enoch - "Let me tell you-o-o").

Broadcast from Bangor in the early days of WWII, it featured every available Variety star, in the framework of the imaginary Happidrome variety theatre, run by the three staff members. The 'We Three' sig tune was a parody version of My Echo, My Shadow and Me, by Dick Robertson and Sammy Mysels, a popular hit by The Inkspots.

Ramsbottom: I say, do you know anything about love, Guv'nor?

Lovejoy: I should do - I drove a taxi for five years...

Poppikok Sun 25-Aug-13 14:53:02

Going well back now,remember

We three,in harmony,
working for the BBC

Ramsbottom,Enoch and me.

janeainsworth Mon 19-Aug-13 16:19:06

I remember most of the programmes mentioned, but the most evocative for me is the cricket commentary.
Warm summer days in the late fifties, reading my comics and books in the garden with the radio sounds wafting through the open window. For some reason the name of Jim Laker sticks in my mind.
And never getting a comprehensible answer to the question 'But Dad. What is silly mid-on?' grin

Poppikok Mon 19-Aug-13 12:57:15

Edmundo Ros and his Latin American Band

Arena Mon 19-Aug-13 10:45:57

You can get all these pre1960s memories and music on Angel Radio.

Here's a link to it.

http://ukoldieschat.boards.net/

feetlebaum Mon 19-Aug-13 08:35:53

Victor Sylvester redux... It's odd that Sylvester, whose music, let's face it, was almost devoid of any musical interest, should have been the most successful British bandleader...

He certainly used fine musicians; during the war,when Oscar Grasso was not available, Alfredo Campoli was the muted violinist, under the pseudonym Alfred Campbell...

feetlebaum Mon 19-Aug-13 08:29:07

@numberplease - Sorry! His name has never come my way...

Granny23 Sun 18-Aug-13 23:49:10

Wilfred Pickles brought his 'Have a Go' show to our village hall. I was too young to go but did listen on the radio and thought the local people he talked to sounded very strange. The 'talk of the 'steamie' for weeks afterwards was that the audience could see that he was totally drunk but that you would never know when you heard him on the radio.

pinkprincess Sun 18-Aug-13 23:33:20

I have just discovered this thread and read it all.

Thankyou everyone for bringing back alot of happy childhood memories!.

Wilfred Pickles, takes me back to my grandma's house on a Saturday.She would always cook Pot Pie as we called steak and kidney pudding, and have Wilfred Pickles on the wireless while we ate it.

numberplease Sun 18-Aug-13 23:28:47

Feetle, you`ve disappointed me greatly, I was hoping that you could tell me what happened to Billy Bowers, but you didn`t!

feetlebaum Sun 18-Aug-13 19:35:19

Victor Sylvester, lor' luvaduck yes! "And now, for Jonas Mutembira, somewhere in Nyasaland, we're going to play a fox-trot - Sand In My Shoes".

I had a vision of a chap in a grass skirt slow fox-trotting in a mud hut...

Odd line-up - always two pianos, and a front line consisting of saxophone (probably E.O. 'Poggy' Pogson) and Oacar Grasso on muted violin - always muted! I understand it was subsidised by the Foreign Office, but I wouldn't swear to it.

feetlebaum Sun 18-Aug-13 19:28:41

Helen Henschel used to play the big slow movement of the Brahms FiIrst Symphony as her signature tune, and then go to talk about the instruments of the orchestra and related musical matters.

I can't remember the Workers' Playtime signature tune but I remember that Bill Gates was the producer. Much, much worse was Works Wonders, also a lunchtime programme, featuring the 'talents' of the factory workers...

Daisyanswerdo Sun 18-Aug-13 19:15:04

I can 'hear' the Workers' Playtime music in my head mrsmopp.

And Hunt yes, I remember the name Helen Henschel, but nothing of what she said or did!

numberplease Sat 17-Aug-13 23:45:54

As a child I looked forward to weekday lunchtimes and Workers Playtime. When I was very young, my aunt and uncle, with whom I was spending my summer holidays, in Rochdale, took me to the local theatre to see an accordionist friend of theirs, a man called Billy Bowers. I don`t know whatever became of him, but the very last time I heard of him was when he appeared on an edition of Workers Playtime.

mrsmopp Sat 17-Aug-13 23:37:05

Workers Playtime came on during the day. It was played in factories to keep the workers happy. Anyone remember it?

Poppikok Wed 14-Aug-13 12:24:01

What about Victor Sylvester?

Slow,slow,quick,quick,slow smile

Granny23 Tue 13-Aug-13 20:58:35

I too remember The McFlannels. All the families had 'fabric' names - The poor McCottons, the better off McTweeds and I think a very posh Mrs McSilk? The theme tune was the Glasgow Highlanders - I am humming it now. At least it has got A Summer Place (see other thread) out of my head grin

Hunt Tue 13-Aug-13 18:10:59

Talking of music does anyone remember Helen Henschel at the piano ,a rather short programme on Children's Hour introducing us to classical music as I remember. ( or not!)

feetlebaum Tue 13-Aug-13 13:44:18

Answering my own question, it seems it was Scheherezade - just not a part I have been able to locate!

feetlebaum Tue 13-Aug-13 13:38:25

Dyall also cropped up in the Goon Show from time to time... as Doctor Longdongler, for example, stealing false teeth to be painted black and presented as castanets to a dancer at the Café Filthmuck that he fancied!

Does anybody know what the original Paul Temple signature tune was? It was eventually replaced by Coronation Scot, but to start with they used an excerpt from something like Scheherzade -- only it wasn't, and I can't find what it was! Polovtsian Dances comes to mind...

numberplease Mon 12-Aug-13 16:39:19

Oooh yes, Valentine Dyall, so creepy, but fascinating!

Poppikok Mon 12-Aug-13 15:29:51

Valentine Dyall.....The Man In Black shock

annodomini Sun 23-Jun-13 17:18:23

It was known in our family as 'Lift up your feet'.

mrsmopp Sun 23-Jun-13 16:56:48

Lift Up Your Hearts came on the Home Serviice radio at ten minutes to eight every morning. It lasted only 5 minutes, consisting of a story, a hymn and a prayer.
But in our house it was always a signal to hurry up and get ready for school. "Will you hurry up!!! Lift Up Your Hearts is on and YOU'RE NOT EVEN DRESSED YET!!!"