Are my seams straight?
Are you courting?
We're going steady.
He's so square.
It's a shotgun wedding.
Ooh, he sends me! (About a pop star)
See you later Alligator!

mrsmopp Wed 20-Nov-13 19:49:47

Looks like its time to start a new thread whither that one Bett!

bett Wed 20-Nov-13 14:46:26

never mind all these sayings,, what about common things that are no more.. I do miss toothpaste tubes that you could roll up and get the last splott out.

broomsticks Thu 14-Nov-13 15:36:51

Had to add this one in, even though it's been a while since the thread was live. I told someone that I was 'bleeding like a stuck pig' yesterday. They looked horrified and I realised it's quite a nasty expression. grin

KatyK Wed 30-Oct-13 10:13:09

MY DH has been known to describe his cup of tea as 'fortnightly' (too weak/week).

broomsticks Wed 30-Oct-13 10:11:15

My grandson apparently just had a collision with a radiator. It wasn't the radiators fault! Definitely tears before bedtime.

I remember wearing a dress with some gloves for some occasion - weird idea.

Granny23 Sat 26-Oct-13 23:51:09

Someone who was morose had 'a face like a wet weekend' and a cheeky so-and-so had 'more front than Aberdeen'. If I was crying loudly my father would threaten to 'sell me to a lighthouse as a foghorn'. shock

mrsmopp Sat 26-Oct-13 22:48:22

Did you wear a petticoat under your frock for Sunday best?
And a straw boater with a ribbon down the back. Off to church for communion having missed breakfast of course.
You didn't wear Sunday best things during the Week.

mrsmopp Sat 26-Oct-13 16:35:22

If anyone was a bit slow, mum would say,
'oh, he's forty miles a fortnight.'
I never heard anyone else say that one.

Nelliemoser Sat 26-Oct-13 10:55:02

Face like a slapped arse. There is a local expression saying "he pulled his face" which roughly means he did not like what was done or said.
"Tears before bedtime" also for over excited children. That is so true.

broomsticks Sat 26-Oct-13 09:54:09

A face like a smacked bottom. (Nice!)
I remember the one about the wind changing direction too.

My granny always used to say, 'It'll end in tears,' still very useful that one when small kids are charging around getting over excited.

Maniac Thu 24-Oct-13 17:50:52

I used to go 'picking coal' with my dad when he was an out of work miner.We took an old pram to the slag heaps near the pithead and picked enough bits of coal to last us a week or more.
I was a clever kid but if I made a smart remark he would say 'don't get peas above sticks'.

mrsmopp Thu 24-Oct-13 11:26:42

Wassup with you? Youve got a face like fourpence!

MamaCaz Wed 23-Oct-13 17:54:36

*If the wind changes direction, your face will stay like that" - often said to me as a child if I was sulking/scowling.

Strange that I remember what was said to me much better than what I used to say myself!

broomsticks Wed 23-Oct-13 17:31:11

Funny how slang comes back again, absent. I didn't realise cool was around that long ago. I think of words like spiffing for Jazz age.

'Mint' seems to have hung on for twenty years or so.

MamaCaz Wed 23-Oct-13 12:10:37

An elderly person's reply if asked their age by a child:
"I'm as old as my tongue and a little bit older than my teeth!.

KatyK Wed 23-Oct-13 09:54:41

We used to say 'shut yer cake 'ole'

Gally Wed 23-Oct-13 07:55:37

If something was lost my Dad would say 'it's up in Annie's room behind the clock' (who the heck was Annie?). WhenI asked where we were going he replied 'There and back to see how far it is' - but how long Dad? 'As long as a piece of string!'

absent Wed 23-Oct-13 07:03:34

broomsticks Whatever makes you think that cool is modern slang? It is used a fair amount nowadays, but nothing like so much as it was used in the "Jazz Age". Even then, it already had a long and venerable history dating back generations.

Flowerofthewest Tue 22-Oct-13 23:57:21

Lost a pound and found a penny.

broomsticks Tue 22-Oct-13 18:48:36

Cheerio when someone left and Cheers was only for when someone had a drink not used as thanks.

You look as if you've lost a shilling and found sixpence.

MamaCaz Tue 22-Oct-13 15:31:47

To someone not looking very happy: "You look like you've tossed up for your dinner and lost."

Tegan Tue 22-Oct-13 15:25:55

The S.O. often says that someone's got 'a face like a box of frogs' and I've picked it up from him. Strangely enough my daughter used 'fab' quite a lot a couple of years back; I think it must have come back into fashion for a while.

Gagagran Tue 22-Oct-13 15:19:32

My Dad used to say to a sullen face "The mule's in the garden"

annodomini Tue 22-Oct-13 14:24:57

My dad, if we were looking sullen, would say, 'Wha's stealt your scone?'

mrsmopp Tue 22-Oct-13 13:44:40

If we made a witty comment we were told "you are so sharp you will cut yourself one day"

A Liverpool insult " Who knitted your face and dropped a stitch?"