(14 Posts)
j08 Sat 12-Oct-13 20:15:52

Lost its cover long ago.

j08 Sat 12-Oct-13 20:15:06

Falling to pieces, some of them! grin

MamaCaz Sat 12-Oct-13 20:08:04

We keep cross-posting here - hope you're keeping up smile

MamaCaz Sat 12-Oct-13 20:07:18

Is it plastered with fatty/floury finger prints, like any old recipe booklet worth its salt?

j08 Sat 12-Oct-13 20:05:51

Yes. That would be lovely. You never know. smile

j08 Sat 12-Oct-13 20:04:56

I've still got the little McDougalls recipe booklet.

MamaCaz Sat 12-Oct-13 20:04:05

Well, when you put it like that, maybe I could be persuaded ... grin

And you never know, if said person where to see it we might get back in touch with each other, if only to tell me off!

j08 Sat 12-Oct-13 20:03:00

I have got recipe books with children's scribble in them. smile

And recipes that I wrote out when I was a young mum. My handwriting was so much better then!

Yes, brings back memories.

j08 Sat 12-Oct-13 19:58:02

It would only be me and fourteen thousand nine hundred and ninetynine other grannies reading it. smile

j08 Sat 12-Oct-13 19:56:21

Sigh! wink

MamaCaz Sat 12-Oct-13 19:55:25

I couldn't possibly do that - I promised not to tell anyone grin

j08 Sat 12-Oct-13 19:48:35

foolproof !!

j08 Sat 12-Oct-13 19:48:12

Please post the fireproof meringue recipe.

Sue B won't mind.

MamaCaz Sat 12-Oct-13 19:45:32

I was hunting through my recipe book yesterday, and memories came flooding back.

I've only had my current recipe book for about twenty-five years. My previous one must have dropped apart or run out of space, so I started another.

The memories begin with the handwriting - one of my then-young sons copied across most of my older recipes for me and even now, seeing that childish handwriting stirs feelings of nostalgia.

Then it's the recipes themselves. A lot of my recipes came originally from my mum or my nana, so every time I see those recipes I think of them. I also vividly remember many occasions where those foods - mainly cakes - were on offer. I remember the old Bero book from which I copied others, and my first, not always successful, attempts to make them.

Next are the numerous loose, handwritten recipes that I have slipped lazily between the pages of the book ever the years. Again, I can remember exactly who gave me almost every one of them. (Sue B, if you happen to be on Gransnet, I'd like you to know that I still have your "fool proof meringue" recipe that you headed "guard with your life", and think of you every time I see it. smile).

Anyone who knows me knows that I have a dreadful memory for faces, but when I see those recipes, I can picture the faces, the occasions and so much more from the distant past. I don't know why it is, but food stirs my memory like little else!

Is it just me?