Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Ancestry

(7 Posts)
mollie Sun 23-Feb-14 16:48:50

It's a free access to UK research on Ancestry this weekend so I took the opportunity to fill in a few gaps. I'm less than impressed - I kept getting zero results - two whole families went missing including one that I know are there because I've got a census print out from FindMyPast! I presume its a transcription problem (what else can it be?) but it's bloomin' annoying! Anyone else had this problem?

grannyactivist Sun 23-Feb-14 16:55:10

Yes, I have and that's why I alternate between Ancestry and Find my Past. They each have drawbacks so I tend to have a year's subscription with one and then the following year go with the other.

rosequartz Sun 23-Feb-14 17:33:04

Haven't done any research for a while, but mainly used ancestry as I had more difficulty finding my ancestors on findmypast kept coming up with blanks.

I found some on the genealogist which I could not find elsewhere.

However, some of the transcriptions on ancestry were very strange and I have sent in many amendments.

mollie Sun 23-Feb-14 18:18:43

I'm glad its not just me then grin I've sent amendments too rosequartz. It's probably good advice to use both sites at different times, grannyactivist, I do it with other things so why not for this? I didn't like FindMyPast when it first hit the scene but I'm sure it's improved a lot...

AlieOxon Sun 23-Feb-14 19:06:37

I think all the sites I have tried have gaps in them....and I too have sent in many corrections! It's amazing what perfectly legible names get transcribed as!

durhamjen Sun 23-Feb-14 20:00:22

One of the main sites lists Kingston upon Hull as Kinston upon Hull.
Doesn't make any difference to the search because you just put Hull in, but it's annoying. You'd think it would have been picked up and corrected without it having to be pointed out.

sg0410 Mon 28-Apr-14 20:16:14

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.