Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

National Memorial Arboretum

(13 Posts)
suebailey1 Mon 16-Jun-14 09:15:16

We visited this beautiful place yesterday. Coincidentally it was an important day as Prince Michael of Kent was unveiling the new royal Nay Memorial a beautiful sculpture of coloured glass panels representing the sea and a lone figure looking towards the sunset. The panels apparently cast the shadow of a warship when the sun shines through them. My father served in WW2 and my borther in the 1960s Far East actions both in the Royal Navy so it was nice to think about them. There was a lovely service in the open air and we wandered afterwards through the many memorials set in the grass and woodland. I do recommend a visit even if you have no service connections. Its beautiful place to think and mediate or to take grandchildren and soak up the history. Lovely restaurant - bit short on toilets.

kittylester Mon 16-Jun-14 09:24:31

It's somewhere I want to go Sue - thank you for telling us about it.

penguinpaperback Mon 16-Jun-14 09:38:45

What a beautiful place. This is the website for the National Memorial Arboretum. www.thenma.org.uk/

petallus Mon 16-Jun-14 09:42:22

I visited a few years back and would like to go again.

It was a moving experience.

rosesarered Mon 16-Jun-14 10:01:53

I saw this on the news, it looks like a lovely memorial sculpture, but I did hope it was perspex rather than glass [which could be easily broken.]My Father served in the Royal Navy too sue [during the war years] and my DH served in the RN for a while too[1970's] so we must go and visit.

rosequartz Mon 16-Jun-14 10:35:54

We have been twice, once for a dedication, and would like to go again.

janerowena Mon 16-Jun-14 10:55:04

Ooh - claim to fame alert! My son sang at the opening in 2007, for the Queen. (Winchester chorister)

suebailey1 Mon 16-Jun-14 13:28:38

I think this would make a very nice place for a Gransnet meet-up.

trendygran Mon 16-Jun-14 19:50:40

I went there for the first time two weeks ago and found it an amazing place altogether. We were fortunate to be there on the same day as several Chelsea Pensioners. I would very much like to visit again as it's impossible to take it all in at one go,even travelling on the little train..

Aka Mon 16-Jun-14 20:36:08

It would indeed suebailey1

I visited once with my late MiL, who served in the WAFs, and it was very moving.

whitewave Mon 16-Jun-14 20:40:05

Anything relating to carnage in war and of the young people and not so young who will never come back leaves me in absolute bits.

grannyactivist Mon 16-Jun-14 22:49:07

It should be a haven of peace amidst the stark reminders of the true cost of conflict, but I weep buckets when I'm there and can't help but feel a combination of sorrow, rage and frustration. The Armed Forces Memorial records so very many names and each one is someone's child - it's heartbreaking.
The setting however is beautiful and the art works are very well designed and some are particularly moving. sad

annodomini Mon 16-Jun-14 23:50:00

I went to the Arboretum some years ago, when the various plantings were still undeveloped. The memorials were moving, however, and I would like to go there again to see how it has evolved.