Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

1960's Black and White movies

(13 Posts)
mrsmopp Thu 02-Oct-14 17:55:47

There was a spate of these working class kitchen sink type movies that I remember vividly. How about you?
Room at the Top
Saturday Night and Sunday Morning
The L shaped Room.
A kind of Loving
Live now pay later.
I would love to see these again - they would show how much the culture has changed since those days. We've seen it all haven't we?

Gracesgran Thu 02-Oct-14 18:06:36

You have a better memory than me. I remember clearly watching films with my dad on a Sunday(?) afternoon, with the large white hanky being passed over to me when we got to the weepy bits but I am always shocked when they re-run them now as they were in colour in my memory but there they are in black and white. smile

petra Thu 02-Oct-14 18:13:00

mrsmopp. Have you forgotten, The loneliness of the long distance runner.

mrsmopp Thu 02-Oct-14 18:21:02

Tom Courtney, of course I remember that one. Albert Finney was making his mark, so was Alan Bates.
Only Two can play.
Billy Liar.
There must be more...

Going to the pictures was what we did when we were courting!
Now that ages me!

numberplease Thu 02-Oct-14 21:35:03

A Taste of Honey

mrsmopp Fri 03-Oct-14 09:48:05

Look back in Anger.

Teetime Fri 03-Oct-14 16:50:24

Do you mean British films only? I loved all the ones you mention and always watch them again when they come on. In fact I don't know what vintage it is but we have juts seen An Inspector Calls this afternoon with wonderful Alastair Sim. Loved him in everything he did and Margaret Rutherford and all the old Ealing comedies too remember School for Scoundrels, The St Trinians films, Titfield Thunderbolt - I could go on and on especially if we start talking Hammer Horror

mrsmopp Fri 03-Oct-14 17:47:47

Not necessarily British, though they usually were, but the gritty working class kitchen sink dramas (as they were called). Classic example was Cathy Come Home though it was TV not cinema. I think the actress was in another one called Poor Cow. (!!)
They portrayed working class life as it really was, warts and all.

Lilygran Fri 03-Oct-14 18:41:47

They do sometimes show them in the afternoon! Other thing is to join something like Lovefilm. We've watched so many old films with pleasure since we joined.

grumppa Sat 04-Oct-14 18:33:16

This Sporting Life.

Eloethan Sun 05-Oct-14 00:45:20

Not "kitchen sink" but about a brave working class young woman - "Carve her name with pride". I was taken to see it when I was about 8 and remember sobbing at the end when Violette Szabo's little girl went to collect her mum's medal.

Tegan Sun 05-Oct-14 01:26:05

They filmed part of Cathy Come Home in the street next to where I lived.

Teetime Sun 05-Oct-14 07:17:37

The last part of my OU degree was Cinema and Society (early 1990s). This Sporting Life was used as a case study. I did look at film differently after doing this course sadly it isn't offered any more.