Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Lost language?

(14 Posts)
trisher Mon 10-Nov-14 21:51:04

When I was a child and my bedroom was very messy my mother always referred to it as "looking like Howdon Fair". We lived in Hull and it wasn't until I was an adult that I realised this was a real place and an event. I now live in Newcastle where the local equivalent is "Paddy's market" a place where second hand clothes were sold and once again meaning somewhere which is a mess. Do people still use these expressions? or are they forgotten now. And are there any other local examples?

Maggiemaybe Mon 10-Nov-14 22:18:52

My mother used to say anything chaotic was like Stage Bank Fair - we lived in Durham. I still say it myself occasionally, but have never really thought about the meaning. Wikipedia tells me the origin is Stagshaw Bank Fair, which took place every year near Corbridge in Northumberland.

She used Casey's Court in a similar way and my MIL used to say "like Fred Karno's" - it looks as if both of these refer to music hall acts that featured Charlie Chaplin in his early days.

These days the young 'uns would probably say it's like Wetherspoons on a Bank Holiday afternoon. grin

glassortwo Mon 10-Nov-14 22:30:52

Hi trisher I am in Newcastle too, we use Paddys market and also Casey Bank fair which I think is in Ireland, my Paternal Grandfather was Irish so thats probably where that came from.

We also say if a place is busy its like being on Northumberland Street which is the main shopping street in Newcastle.

GrannyTwice Mon 10-Nov-14 22:36:28

Trisher- I'm originally from Hull and my Grandmother used that phrase- she also used to say, when flustered, I don't know if I'm on this earth or Fullers

durhamjen Mon 10-Nov-14 22:44:40

I'm from Hull, and my parents always used to say Paddy's market. However, my dad was from Berkshire and my mother was from Hornsea. Her dad was from West Yorkshire, so not sure where Paddy's market came from.
Where did you live, Trisher and GrannyTwice? I was brought up on Spring Bank.

GrannyTwice Mon 10-Nov-14 22:51:42

East Hull

trisher Mon 10-Nov-14 23:18:45

Anlaby Road. Paddy's market was on Newcastle quayside.Fullers earth I remember that.

durhamjen Mon 10-Nov-14 23:34:18

My sister lives on Holderness Road, GrannyTwice.

durhamjen Mon 10-Nov-14 23:43:18

I go to the quayside quite often, Trisher. Didn't realise it was called Paddy's Market, but I do not buy second hand clothes there, anyway. I only ever seem to see food when I go.
I used to go to the Criterion on Anlaby Road, and to Albert Ave baths.

GrannyTwice Tue 11-Nov-14 00:28:22

I've just got an uncle left in Hull now - he's in a care home on Holderness Road.

trisher Tue 11-Nov-14 16:37:51

I went to Albert Avenue baths regularly. I've a few cousins left in Hull but most of our family is scattered around. I moved my mum up to Newcastle a few years ago she's 92 and in sheltered housing. Paddy's market wasn't right on the quayside but up slightly just behind where the Pitcher and Piano is. There are some great photos taken there. The Side gallery had an exhibition of them a bit ago. Small world isn't it!!!

rosequartz Tue 11-Nov-14 17:03:19

'Well, I'll go to the end of our street!'
However, I don't know which street this saying referred to.

'We're going to Argate for our holidays this year'

rubysong Tue 11-Nov-14 22:19:21

What a lot of Hull connection. DH is from a Hull family and his mother used to say it's like Strickland Street in here! We always acknowledge Hull Fair week and have pomegranates and brandy snaps.

Anniebach Wed 12-Nov-14 09:51:53

If my bedroom was a mess my mother would mutter - do you think you live in dog and tub , anyone here from South Wales who also heard this? I still have no idea what dog and tub means but I say it myself.