Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Things you don't see any more.

(111 Posts)
NanKate Wed 03-Dec-14 07:30:10

Do you remember when genteel ladies drank their tea they use to cock their little finger ?

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 03-Dec-14 15:44:23

Is it the same as the old stuff from the sixties? Will go and have a look tomorrow.

(That will be three things I've now bought on Ana's recommendation - chin de-hairer, egg spoons (lovely), and now hopefully thin tinsel. I will look upon you as my personal shopper Ana. grin

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 03-Dec-14 15:46:40

Oh no! Haven't got an Asda. Thought you said Aldi. hmm

tanith Wed 03-Dec-14 15:47:53

mrsmopp I knew they had them on the continent I wonder how different they are now... I worked there for 4yrs and yes KatyK I remember being called Miss ---- all the time.

I think you do see rabbits and chickens in country butchers with all their feathers etc intact...

Ana Wed 03-Dec-14 15:50:56

Asda thin tinsel

You could buy some online jingl.

KatyK Wed 03-Dec-14 16:14:08

Tanith - The C&A in Seville is pretty much the same as the one I worked in in the '60s, same logo,layout and the Clockhouse brand.

numberplease Wed 03-Dec-14 18:15:02

C & A was one of my favourite stores, I wish we still had them. When I was in my teens, I lived with my grandma, and she`d take me to C & A in Manchester, to their bargain basement, that`s where most of my clothes came from. It was always very dark down there, not all bright and cheerful like upstairs.
Oh, how about flour in muslin bags? My mother cut them open for us to take to school as hankies.

tanith Wed 03-Dec-14 18:21:44

I worked in the basement at the Oxford St store and you are right number please it was always dark down there...my first job in the mornings as a junior was removing all the dust sheets (we had to cover all the clothes at night with white sheets) and then cleaning the floor to ceiling column mirrors all for a wage of £4.10s.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 03-Dec-14 18:22:17

Ana why can't I make that link woprk?

I bought some nice woolly mitts in C and A in Basel at the weekend. smile
The kind where you can sort of peel back the top bit to expose fingers for doing things.

Ana Wed 03-Dec-14 18:26:04

I dunno, jingl! Just google Asda tinsel and it'll come up...

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 03-Dec-14 18:35:02

Ah yes! I could do that couldn't I! grin hmm

papaoscar Wed 03-Dec-14 18:37:26

Christmas visits to London to see the lights and decorated shop windows in Oxford Street and Regent Street. Strolling arm-in-arm with the crowds. The smell of chestnuts roasting. Tea at Lyons Corner House. Admiring all the toys and stuff in Hamley's, Selfridges and Derry and Toms etc. Cheerful sound of the Sally Army band playing carols. Christmas tree in Trafalgar Square. All the noise, hustle and bustle and I don't recall there being any trouble. Falling asleep on the train on the way home. Those were the days...and you could probably still do it, I suppose.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 03-Dec-14 18:39:54

are they colour blind? confused

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 03-Dec-14 18:40:31

Now that link doesn't work! I give up! hmm

Ana Wed 03-Dec-14 18:47:48

Worked for me - I never noticed the colour was wrong on my link! tchgrin

Brendawymms Wed 03-Dec-14 21:04:06

Does anyone remember the Coop divi. Every time you bought something had to give divi number, 1648, and you got a little ticket.

Kiora Wed 03-Dec-14 21:39:26

I remember my mothers coop divi number, but I'm not sharing it with you because I use it as apart of my password. So it's still in usesmile

durhamjen Wed 03-Dec-14 22:00:26

All I have to do is go to Beamish Museum, ten minutes drive away, and it soon cures me of the nostalgia of coal fires and ranges, no electricity and the old fashioned Co-op with butter pats, and blue bags for sugar. The bakery is very good, with one of the first industrial mixers in the country, but they run out of bread just as quickly as I remember.

numberplease Wed 03-Dec-14 22:18:31

I wonder if any little girls with longish hair still get their hair wrapped up in "rags" overnight to make ringlets? Mine was done once a week, for Sunday School, it looked nice, but was tedious sitting there for ages whilst my mother wrapped the rag strips around portions of hair. Come to that, do children still go to Sunday School?

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 03-Dec-14 22:43:28

They call it "junior church" now numberplease. smile

Ana Wed 03-Dec-14 22:48:05

My GDs go to Sunday School, and call it that. Sometimes it's 'Messy Church' hmm. I think they just do crafts or painting on those days...probably with a christian theme! smile

durhamjen Wed 03-Dec-14 23:04:30

number, my two eldest granddaughters were doing that to their hair a couple of years ago. They are 21 and 14.

Marmight Wed 03-Dec-14 23:44:02

Amami setting lotion - I think it was pink and very sticky
Gypsy women at the door with baskets of 'flowers' made from coloured wax.
Red Mansion polish for the brick step to the house
Treadle drill at the dentist (used to frighten me to death)
The Rag & Bone man on a horse drawn cart (did they really collect bones?!)

granjo39 Thu 04-Dec-14 00:00:10

As a little girl I remember looking in the chemists window at the packets of Dr Whites and puzzling how they came to get towels into such small packages. confused

granjo39 Thu 04-Dec-14 00:02:45

Do you remember the large 2lb tins of South African jam-usually peach or apricot it was delicious. We lost that when we joined Europe.

loopylou Thu 04-Dec-14 08:10:44

Anyone remember sticking Green shield stamps into little book (can still taste the glue)? And Cadbury chocolate bars in 3 sizes - for a ha'penny, 1old penny or tuppence?
Certainly remember the mangle and Monday being washing day, with the washing hanging in a rack suspended from the ceiling and carbolic soap....