Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Petition - closure of Remembrance Chapel for Battle of Britain aircrew at RAF Biggin Hill

(14 Posts)
chocolatepudding Mon 05-Jan-15 09:59:14

The MOD and RAF have withdrawn funding from 2016 to keep open the Remembrance Chapel for the aircrew of the Battle of Britain at Biggin Hill.

Please read the full article at

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/11324206/Battle-of-Britain-chapel-to-the-few-threatened-with-closure.html

and sign the petition at

epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/73191

and please spread the word to other people to get this petition signed

Thank you

(my Dad was a Lancaster bomber pilot in 1944 so I am doing this in memory of him and all the other aircrew)

Katek Mon 05-Jan-15 11:06:33

Will go and sign.
Also in memory of my father who trained fighter pilots in WW2

Lapwing Mon 05-Jan-15 12:05:16

Petition signed.

Liz46 Mon 05-Jan-15 13:29:25

My father was a Battle of Britain pilot and I must admit that I had not heard of the Remembrance Chapel. The sculpture on the Thames is a wonderful tribute and has the names of all the pilots.

merlotgran Mon 05-Jan-15 13:39:53

Signed.

Eloethan Tue 06-Jan-15 00:53:28

I think I briefly heard something about this on the news this evening. I'm fairly sure they said that it's not now going to be closed but I may be wrong.

absent Tue 06-Jan-15 05:15:41

Did anyone else ever see that extraordinary play on BBC some time in the early 1980s that portrayed a "shell-shocked" bomber crew in a mental hospital re-flying their last ghastly mission over the Ruhr while sitting on their not very comfortable beds? I have no idea what it was called or who wrote it but I was shocked, horrified and sickened beyond belief. I am a committed and steadfast pacifist and this play broke my heart. In my book, to send them out was wrong but to grieve for what happened to them is owed.

chocolatepudding Tue 06-Jan-15 09:09:56

Good morning everyone!

Thank you to all the supporters of the petition now standing at 23,747 names.

I cannot find anything on line about the chapel NOT being closed, however the main papers seem to be running the story.

If you would like to see more pictures of the Remembrance Chapel have a look at this website

www.bhbobsc.org.uk/raf-chapel

The petition is at

epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/73191

Please sign and spread the word

FlicketyB Tue 06-Jan-15 17:27:13

I read about this and I think it is outrageous. Why did they make this decision without considering the options. There are many; they could have seewhether the National Trust or English Heritage would take it with a suitable endowment, There are several church conservation charities, who again would take it on with a suitable endowment or set up an independent charitable trust to run it again with a suitable endowment.

I have signed the petition.

suevie34 Tue 06-Jan-15 18:14:49

I also think it outrageous that the chapel is under threat of closure. I wonder what would have happened to us if 'the few' hadn't had the courage and commitment to risk their lives for the defence of this country.

I have signed the petition in memory of my father Harry Bishop, who was a fighter pilot in WW2

Eloethan Tue 06-Jan-15 19:31:19

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/11327633/Battle-of-Britain-chapel-saved-from-closure-by-Biggin-Hill-Airport.html

The Telegraph is saying the chapel has been saved.

chocolatepudding Tue 06-Jan-15 20:19:05

Thank you Eloethan for this update from the Telegraph. Let's hope the Biggin Hill Airport will pay in full for the upkeep of the Chapel. This year will be the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Britain and it would be dreadful to have the Chapel closed in March 2016.

My eldest brother learnt to fly at RAF Biggin Hill in 1960 as a private pilot. As soon as he had passed and got his licence he chartered a plane to take my father (a Lancaster bomber pilot in 1944) and his brother for a quick flight. Mum and I watched them depart down the runway and I burst into floods of tears (I was about 5 years old at the time). "They will be back soon" said Mum "don't worry". "But they didn't take me" I replied!

Thank you all for your support

POGS Wed 07-Jan-15 13:44:10

chocolate pudding.

If you are interested this was brought up at PMQ's today, you can watch it on catchup.

David Cameron gave the impression the Chapel 'will not be closed'.

chocolatepudding Wed 07-Jan-15 14:16:03

Many thanks POGS for this advice

If anyone wants to hear what David Cameron says check PMQ at

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04xrzp6/prime-ministers-questions-07012015

at 32:20

Let's hope there are funds forthcoming from somewhere to keep the Chapel open.