Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

F.M.P.1939 records

(52 Posts)
Anniebach Thu 29-Oct-15 11:00:42

I am so disappointed with the charges to access the 1939 records to be released next Monday, plus a death certificate is requested to access info on anyone born after 1915 .

mollie Thu 11-May-17 08:53:59

I've only used this just once, paid the one off charge to access one address and after 20 years of research I actually discovered my 2xgreat grandfathers date of birth. This census contains dobs which was a pleasant surprise. What it didn't show was the place of birth (or if it did I couldn't see it) as in previous census which would have been useful in this case. But I did see everyone visible (lots of 'locked'records on two pages so also saw the details for other relatives that lived in the same street.

For me it was worthwhile for that dob alone (not that I can find an actual birth registration!) but it revealed less than usual census because of the living/post 1915 rule. As my lot were Londoners I could have found as much information (and have) through the electoral registers.

Anniebach Thu 11-May-17 08:32:16

I can't afford acess to the 1939 register , damn frustrating

HeyHo Thu 11-May-17 07:19:49

I am a professional genealogist, and, agree with many of the comments here - the 1939 Register is worth using, but, I find it's greatest use is to establish a date of birth - providing the person being recorded gives the correct date of birth at the time!
My Grandfather was younger that Grannie - but pretended he was the same age - to the extent that even though she died in 1926, he let the family celebrate his 90th birthday in 1969 - when it wasn't!

I couldn't find him on the 1939 Register, even though I knew where he was, and we have a very unusual surname - at this time he was married to his 2nd wife who was 15 years younger than he was - guess what? he had done it again - now instead of pretending he was older to match his wife, he was now pretending to be 8 years younger to match his 2nd wife!

The point being - no genealogy site is 100% effective for many reasons - I subscribe to many of them - because there are always our ancestors out there putting a spanner in the works anyway!!

Have fun!! and don't forget that google is the best tool. Think outside the box.

Elegran Fri 19-Feb-16 10:42:52

Just make sure to cancel your membership as soon as the free time ends - If I remember right, you have to give a card number for the FREE membership, and the moment it is over they sign you up for a paying membership and take the money.

mrsmopp Fri 19-Feb-16 10:11:34

Free Ancestry starts today - not sure how long for, maybe just a weekend, but I thought it worth passing on to you.

Jalima Thu 18-Feb-16 12:42:34

I may have to change over to FMP from Ancestry.
Ancestry have just emailed me to tell me any projects I have saved will not be supported after 4th April and have to be transferred to another company I have never heard of.

mrsmopp Thu 18-Feb-16 11:00:25

Me too!!

GreatauntieLinda Wed 17-Feb-16 22:20:19

I have the world subscription to FMP and received an e-mail from them telling me that I now have full free access to the 1939 records.

mrsmopp Tue 02-Feb-16 23:20:50

Better check, but I am sure I heard that 1939 records will be free from 16th fFebruary, but it may only be for people who are signed up for Find My Past.
Maybe there were a lot of complaints about the charges??

Anniebach Fri 22-Jan-16 14:53:39

Yes received an email , hope they mean world

Alima Fri 22-Jan-16 14:52:23

Did you know that FMP have a free weekend starting now. Think I will have a delve.

Anniebach Thu 21-Jan-16 09:54:40

Just heard FMP will reduce the costs to access 1939 records to same as other records in February ,

mrsmopp Mon 14-Dec-15 19:26:40

I think the charge is too much.
I looked up one family for £6.95 only to discover that there is very little info there that you cannot get via the electoral roll. The only new thing I hadnt known was that my uncle was a butler, and his wife did 'unpaid domestic duties.' (Probably that was the terminology at the time.)
Far too expensive and not worthy of the big build up it had.

mrsmopp Sat 14-Nov-15 22:42:26

Allule, this is definitely wrong - contact the customer service and ask for a refund.

allule Fri 13-Nov-15 22:45:14

I thought I would try the 14 days free trial, and ticked the box for monthly membership, thinking I would decide after free trial if I wanted to continue with this.
I was surprised to see on my bank account that fmp had taken £24.95 for 5 records, and £9.95 for a months membership immediately.
I may have applied wrongly, but this makes me less likely than I would have been to continue membership

AlieOxon Fri 13-Nov-15 20:05:16

I thought I would have to buy one record, to find my grandparents' address - but I made my way into the advanced search and put in the last road I knew them in, in the early 30s - and hey presto there was the Little household at number 81 Queens Road, Sale. Bingo.

Only one thing on the way though - I had the address as 'Queens Road, Ashton-on-Mersey' and had to sort out that the area name was changed to Sale in the early 30s!

mrsmopp Fri 06-Nov-15 18:16:15

Yes Rose, there is a post on this board, next to this thread?

rosequartz Fri 06-Nov-15 15:51:26

I am sure I read that Ancestry has a free Forces day today starbird, hope you see this and it works:

www.ancestry.co.uk/cs/remembrance

rosequartz Fri 06-Nov-15 15:49:41

starbird Ancestry has RN records, or at least a record of medals won in WW1 and WW2, and I am sure I found the name of a couple of ships DF was drafted to.

No, I am not going to spend the money AlieOxon
I know where my DP were in 1939, also DH's immediate family so i will wait for the price to come down.

AlieOxon Fri 06-Nov-15 15:46:00

Sorry, somebody did - MargaretX, who wasn't that impressed......

AlieOxon Fri 06-Nov-15 09:26:34

Has anyone actually tried paying for anything on the Register and if so what was the result like?

AlieOxon Wed 04-Nov-15 08:35:36

Here's a site about Northern Ireland and a bit on Scotland
www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com/1939-national-register.html

Includes list of censuses remaining for NI.

starbird Tue 03-Nov-15 23:02:00

I was also hoping to get info on my father from the Forces of WW1 records, and paid a subscription to see the records but the Royal Navy has not been added. It is very frustrating, he does not appear in the 1939 record either, although my mother and her parents do. As far as I know, he was working in a gang travelling the country erecting electricity pylons for GEC. Apparently the 1939 records do not include people who were travelling, in the forces etc it is only based on houses.

rosequartz Tue 03-Nov-15 22:43:12

Yes, applying through Lost Cousins gives a discount on 300 credits on FMP but that only buys 5 views as they are 60 credits each!!

mrsmopp Tue 03-Nov-15 14:06:43

Alie, no discount for FMP subscribers but I think there is on on Lost Cousins which is free to join and is quite an informative site.
Not had a look at 1939 yet, as I will have to be quite selective who to look for. Dont want any false trails.