Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

An unanswered question.

(14 Posts)
Maywalk Sat 16-Jul-16 11:10:26

Yesterday morning ( Friday ) I had a friend to pick me up and take me to Morrisons to get some fresh bread and fruit. We decided to have a cup of coffee in the community hall opposite Morrisons because the Morrisons restaurant was still being built. Anyway as we walked in the community centre there was a room apart that had many young folk aged about 16/18 and they asked us if we would like to go and have a cup of tea with them to have a little talk about any subject that was picked out of the box that they had prepared.
We said that would be nice and we joined them. They were going off into groups and there was 7 of the younger folk where I sat plus another elderly lady. My friend meanwhile had had a phone call so she went outside to talk to whoever it was without interrupting the soon to start conversation.
One of the young ladies gave me a box and asked me to take a slip of paper out of it and read the question that was written on it and we would have our talk round that.
I read out this question from the paper "What did I think was the MOST important subject to study to help one get through their degree?"
This I had to smile about and I explained to the youngsters that when I went to school there was NO degrees and I finished my last 4 years at an evacuee school and had to start work at the age of 14.
The look of wonderment on their faces when I told them, after being asked why, about me being bombed out twice and machine gunned in the hopfields when just 10 years old and machine gunned again on the evacuee train was priceless.
The questions fired at me from all directions from the group was quite enjoyable. They wanted my website and the printer of the books I had written and when it was time for me to leave they asked me if I would be going again next week. I said I could not promise because I did not get out much these days. I also said that for the past 3/4 quarters of an hour they had been firing questions at me BUT we NEVER did get round to answering the main question that was written on the paper. They all said it had been a fascinating time with what I had told them AND they had met someone who was a REAL live evacuee and had learnt more in that short time than they had in all WW2 history lessons they had at college.
I even had a few hugs from them. It made my day.

Jane10 Sat 16-Jul-16 11:25:32

Sounds like a really useful and enjoyable event. The sort of thing that should go on all over the country. The idea of an imaginative teacher perhaps?

Maywalk Sat 16-Jul-16 11:48:51

Could be Jane. I hope it does go countrywide because MORE is learnt from anyone who has experienced hard times.

LullyDully Sat 16-Jul-16 11:55:38

Whatever a lovely post, hands across the generation rather than sniping. Well done you.

Maywalk Sat 16-Jul-16 12:07:31

Thanks Lully.
I get on well with the younger generation and had many lovely thankyou e-mails from students worldwide from those who studied the Home Front during WW2.

fiorentina51 Sat 16-Jul-16 17:19:09

Absolutely brilliant. Well done to all concerned.

MiniMouse Sat 16-Jul-16 17:33:12

What an inspiring experience. Lovely to hear something positive sunshine

Auntieflo Sat 16-Jul-16 18:29:00

What a lovely experience, and glad that you enjoyed your coffee break

WilmaKnickersfit Sat 16-Jul-16 19:15:58

It sounds like you made their day too. flowers

Maywalk Sun 17-Jul-16 19:18:32

Many thanks folks for getting back to me.
I never get notification from this forum to let me know that someone has had the courtesy to write a reply.
It's the only one that doesn't all the other sites I am a member of lets me know. I wonder why."???????????

Nelliemoser Sun 17-Jul-16 19:36:40

Maywalk Well done! Even if you strayed from the original topic they were clearly very interested in your story and I am sure they learned a lot.

annodomini Sun 17-Jul-16 20:13:20

What a lovely experience,*Maywalk*. Children are growing up quite ignorant of the history of the 20th Century which isn't even history to us - it's our story!

Maywalk Mon 18-Jul-16 13:41:51

Many thanks Nellie and Anno Domini.
With a bit of luck I may be going again this Friday but it depends on the times. The students are there from 9-30am to 11am and it all depends on my lovely d-i-l and what time she has to be at work.

NannaJay Mon 18-Jul-16 14:44:48

Maywalk, that is wonderful, my dad told me some stories about life during ww2 but there were things he didn't like to discuss. I hope you are able to go again x