Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

1911 census Scotland

(15 Posts)
Cherrytree59 Sun 28-Jan-18 20:21:34

A puzzle.
I have a copy of my grandfather's birth certificate that states he was born 1910.
However although his mother shows up on the 1911 census he does not.
His father we believe was away in the army for this census.
Any idea why he doesn't show up?
His mothers name is on the certificate so not an adoption.

mollie Sun 28-Jan-18 20:30:58

Was mum at the home address in 1911? Perhaps she had to work and her baby was staying with family. Or in care/hospital. Dig about a bit more, hopefully he’ll turn up and all will become clear.

Nelliemoser Sun 28-Jan-18 23:37:11

Have you checked the 1910 birth certificate for his birthday against the date of the 1911 census. He could have been born in 1911 before the census was taken.
If all you have is a birth certificate how do you know if he survived the year 1910 as a baby? Infant mortality was high in those days. My Greatgrand parents lost two babies as infants in that decade.

He could have been away from home on census night, staying with relatives etc. Have you checked the whereabouts of other family members?
Do you know if the baby you just assume is your grandfather did not die as a baby?
This can get so flipping complicated. Enjoy.

Cherrytree59 Mon 29-Jan-18 17:22:02

Mollie Agree he could have been at another address when the census was taken.
Have tried his grandparents address but no mention there either

Nellie I do have birth certificate
He was born in March 1910
He did live until his 80s
He was my grandfather smile

Its the usual story I never asked any questions.
Now its too latesad

mollie Mon 29-Jan-18 17:27:45

Do you have the original or a recent copy. If a copy, does it match the index? Sometimes things are mistranscribed? That’s one option.

What about checking aunts and uncles? Or the local infirmary or workhouse that may have been looking after him if he had been unwell?

Or perhaps it’s just another example of someone being left off the record. It happens. Who signed the 1911 census sheet. Was it his mother or someone else?

Elegran Mon 29-Jan-18 17:55:13

Sometimes when a baby died the next baby was given the same name. It is possible that your grandfather was born after the census and given the same name as a lost brother. There is about a year from the certificate you have and the census, that is ample time for another child to be conceived and come to term and be born - or be born during the rest of the year. Have you checked the index for any other entries?

Cherrytree59 Mon 29-Jan-18 18:02:24

I have copy of his birth certificate.
My cousin who lives in USA emailed to tell me that he couldn't find our grandfather on the census.
I don't know who signed 1911 census.
I will find out.
My grandfather's father was away with army and was killed in 1914
I'm not actively involved in Genealogy
Although quite recently I have had quite a lot info passed on to me.
We sadly have no other family left to ask. My cousin who is in his late 50s is the eldest.

My cousin feels there is something amiss.
Grandfather's mother was in service but we are not sure who her employers we're.
1921 census will be the next to be released. (2021)
Maybe we will have to wait and see if he shows up on that

Cherrytree59 Mon 29-Jan-18 18:23:40

Elegran here is the thing
Giving away family secrets shock
My great grandmother gave birth whilst my great grandfather a Gordon and Southern Highlander was away on foreign shores.
They were not married until he returned home.
My GF had his mothers surname but his fathers name on birth certificate
The story passed on by my uncle was that she was in service and the family who could have dismissed her said she could keep her job if she brought her son (my GF) up as a catholic.
Which she did.

Family Skeletons hmm

Elegran Mon 29-Jan-18 18:32:07

Perhaps the baby was looked after by someone else so that she could continue to work, and he was with them at the census? Have you searched the census indexes for him by both names, his mother's and his father's?

Elegran Mon 29-Jan-18 18:34:07

Sorry, I missed that you are not actively involved. Has your cousin searched for both names?

mollie Mon 29-Jan-18 18:41:01

Cherrytree59 that’s exactly the situation with my grandfather. He was born in 1902 when his mothers soldier husband was in South Africa. For some reason he was registered with her husbands surname and he as father BUT he was raised by his actual father. His mother had 9 children by her husband, he was her second birth, so I can only wonder if he was a secret or if her husband knew and insisted she got rid of the problem. Just shows how human nature and relationships never really change.

mollie Mon 29-Jan-18 18:42:29

Oops, sorry, I misread your post - not quite the same story after all.

Elegran Mon 29-Jan-18 18:51:47

Mollie If a woman was married, her child was usually registered as her husband's, and considered to be his unless he specifically rejected it, which would cause a great scandal. Husbands didn't like announcing to the world that they had been cuckolded. On the other hand, if she was not married, then the name of the father was only accepted on the certificate if he was present when the baby was registered. Getting him to turn up and admit it was often an achievement.

Jalima1108 Mon 29-Jan-18 19:32:09

Did she have parents who may have cared for the baby while she was working? Have you checked the census for them as well?

mollie Mon 29-Jan-18 19:58:14

Elegran my grandad was born in the workhouse so I suspect his parentage was assumed but that’s ok. I can’t help wondering how they got round things when/if his birth certificate was needed. And how did his actual father explain the sudden appearance of a baby without a mother or documents naming him as father. I gather formal adoption didn’t exist and fostering was very informal so I’m probably looking at this with 21st century beaurocratic eyes. It really shows that family historians need to think way outside the box when trying to solve knotty problems.