Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Old family photos

(6 Posts)
Jillybird Wed 25-Mar-20 13:19:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Oopsadaisy3 Wed 25-Mar-20 13:28:38

Have you uploaded your photographs to Ancestry? I don’t have as many as you but once they were safely on my tress, I breathed a sigh of relief, whatever happens to the original photos, the are safe for my family to access.
I have them on a memory stick, an external hard drive and photograph albums under the family names.
The albums are a bit of a jumble because the families all overlap.
I’ve also decided that I’m not going to keep ( in the FT albums) recent photos, I’m stopping at my aunts and cousins, many of my second cousins and their families i’ve never met and we are a big family so they are not being included.
If someone else in the family wants to cover more recent family they can do it.
It’s fascinating though isn’t it?

Jillybird Thu 26-Mar-20 13:54:07

Oopsadaisy3 Thu 26-Mar-20 14:01:11

* jillybird* I would upload all of the photos, who knows your Gt Gt grandchildren might be pleased to see an their ancestors photos of WW2 for their school project in the distant future.
Once all of the photos are on, you can take your time cataloguing them.
I’m sure that there will be a programme out there for Genealogists to save their photos on, TBH I don’t have that many old pics so it isn’t such an issue for me and I haven’t looked online, but take a look you might find one that’s easy to use and to access in the future.

JackyB Thu 26-Mar-20 15:33:07

One way of organising them - online or off - is to scan them save them all in one place. Then go through them all, tagging them with as many keywords as you can think of. E. G. The year, the names and surnames of everybody in them, where they were taken. Holiday snaps, wedding, christening, school photos, portraits, uniform, animals, other objects (the grandfather clock, the penny farthing, the piano, the old jalopy)

That way they organise themselves - you put in a key word and up come all the pictures which you have tagged. You can then see e. g. a series of photos of Susie growing up. Or all the pictures taken in 1934. Or all the pictures of horses, or mucking about on boats.

Good luck with it!

Jillybird Fri 27-Mar-20 14:06:43