Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Family History.

(6 Posts)
Bopeep14 Wed 01-Apr-20 13:36:41

I have been dabbling over the last few years tracing my family history. I have been using free resources but really can’t get much further without paying. Has anyone tried find my past?

threexnanny Wed 01-Apr-20 13:57:30

I have tried it but prefer Ancestry. There are free online courses for family history if you want some advice and tips.

SueDonim Wed 01-Apr-20 13:58:21

I’ve used FMP for a number of years. They’re very good. You can also join Lost Cousins, which is free to join, or £10 a year for an upgraded version. www.lostcousins.com/

Davidhs Wed 01-Apr-20 14:00:26

I did most of it without paying but it is much more time consuming and traveling, census results and church records are good, as is the LDS site. Also if you get stuck on family that migrated there are family history groups overseas, US, NZ and Australia that will help.
A cousin used Ancestry.com and found some more, with less effort

Floradora9 Wed 01-Apr-20 16:06:17

My Heritage will give you free access for a month and they will let you add colour to old family photographs. DH did this with one and it really brought it to life.

SuzannahM Wed 01-Apr-20 16:13:31

I've used both Ancestry and Find My Past over the years and preferred FMP (which at that time had access to newspapers). Haven't used either for some time so don't know which I would prefer now. There is a forum called Rootschat that is free and absolutely excellent - lots of experienced people you can ask questions of, they will help do lookups for people who don't have access to the sites they need, and help to find those elusive ancestors that don't appear in the records where you expect them. Also some nice chatty threads, like GN.