Gransnet forums

Grandads' shed

Noggin 'n Natter

(74 Posts)
pompa Sun 06-May-12 21:51:40

This is the place for a good natter about anything related to hobbies, diy, gardening etc. Anything that is not to contentious.

Ladies bearing cakes are very welcome, I have even turned the 1960 Playboy calendar to the wall, nothing sexist here.

Anyone want to kick us off with a subject ?

hildajenniJ Fri 01-May-15 10:00:19

Might have been a rare thing in rural Wales in those days! BTW what was the poem pompa?

pompa Fri 01-May-15 09:10:33

Was having a Post Office important enough to include in the address?

hildajenniJ Fri 01-May-15 08:50:01

Sorry html should be in lower case.

hildajenniJ Fri 01-May-15 08:49:13

Look at this pompa.

ukga.org/Wales/Cardiganshire/towns/TalsmorTalysarn.HTML

Sorry that I can't do a link. I must learn how.

pompa Fri 01-May-15 07:37:50

The question I have regarding Wales relates to on old poem (circa 1880). It has an address at the bottom :-

Talysarn, R.S.O, Carnarvonshire.

Do you know what the RSO stands for ?. I have Googled it but can't find anything that makes real sense in this instance.

lefthanded Thu 30-Apr-15 07:51:26

I'm Welsh. Usually to be found lurking around here somewhere.

pompa Wed 29-Apr-15 16:53:58

Do we have any Welsh GNers ?

janerowena Tue 14-Apr-15 21:01:49

That's a lovely area, pompa. How exciting. I used to wish I could take a longer slower look along those banks as I crossed the river on the bridge. Very handy for the airport, too.

rubysong Tue 14-Apr-15 18:01:49

I'll wave across the Humber next time I'm up there.

pompa Tue 14-Apr-15 08:15:32

Son already lives about a mile from the farmhouse they are looking to buy, so we are often up there. We know the house concerned, have walked past it several times. Yorkshire bank of the Humber looks a lot higher than the Lincs side which is low lying for some distance in several places, especially where the Trent joins.

rubysong Tue 14-Apr-15 04:49:50

Hope you enjoy your trips to the Humber bank, Pompa. My sister lives a couple of fields away from the north bank. The tidal surge fortunately didn't affect her.
Hope all goes well with the new baby.

loopylou Mon 13-Apr-15 13:00:06

Congratulations pompa for new GC!
DS's house project sounds exciting, I bet they'll find plenty for you too to help with - hope flooding was one event......Any good at boat building?
Very exciting 2015 for you!

pompa Mon 13-Apr-15 12:35:36

I'll give it 6 months before Son swaps his Alfa Romeo for a Land Rover

hildajenniJ Mon 13-Apr-15 09:14:47

Oh, nearly forgot! Congratulations on the expected new arrival! xx

hildajenniJ Mon 13-Apr-15 09:13:20

This would be my DD's dream, but somewhere in the highlands of Scotland, or in the Oban area. When my DH retires next year, we are planning to sell up here and rent something smaller nearer to the family. The farmhouse sounds great pompa. Even though it may be a bit remote it is the lifestyle I would love. I am envy

soontobe Mon 13-Apr-15 08:36:04

I have learnt to be aware of silences. Something is generally afoot.

Excitement indeed. Congratulations!

pompa Mon 13-Apr-15 07:25:26

You just think life is settled for a while, fit & healthy, kids settled etc. Then POW !!!!

New baby announced for Autumn. smile
Son & DIL decided (literally overnight) to buy a farmhouse on the banks of the River Humber in conjunction with his in laws. Sounds good, but 16 months ago it was under 6 feet of water shock.
Sounds & looks nice, 5 bedrooms, lots of land and out buildings. They plan to turn the outbuildings into a granny annex for IL's (IL's have just sold their house). It's a bit remote, but there is a good pub about a mile away. smile

It looks like we have an exciting year ahead.

annodomini Thu 26-Mar-15 23:15:33

Hi pompa, so pleased to see you back to your usual self. sunshine

pompa Thu 26-Mar-15 20:44:58

Yes, it's just us doing the work. Not that it is much more than normal, as we are keen gardeners and would expect our garden to be presentable at any time. It does sharpen the mind having a dead line, also trying to plan flowering to perform to schedule. Our main problem will be the lawn (lawn !! -- that's a joke) we have large overhanging trees, the dripping kills the grass over a few years, so we have spiked. top dressed and re-seeded, need perfect growing conditions for it to be ready in time (hence the hose pipe that I tripped over). Got a few bare problem areas to think about, excuse to visit our local nursery several times a week (and their cafe)

The longer evenings will certainly be very welcome. as will the rise in temperatures forecast.

Like many that suffer with depression, it is a bit more than down in the dumps, with me, I fall off a cliff, not necessarily for any obvious or valid reason. Most times (with medication) I can break out of it in a few days, but sometimes it is weeks. Glad to say, this time was only a few weeks. However, as I have had his for many years, I do know it will break at some time. Very few people that have not experience depression can fully understand it, Mrs P certainly doesn't, although she can recognize the early signs and help me. The positive comments from GNers are really helpful.

POGS Thu 26-Mar-15 19:55:20

PS

As Lona said.

POGS Thu 26-Mar-15 19:54:33

Pompa

I too am very pleased to read your post today.

Please remember most of us have 'issues' either with health, family worries etc. and I am sure feeling down in the dumps is par for the course for more than a few of us.

As you say the better weather may help a little and the clocks go forward soon so the nights will be getting lighter for longer, hoora. Lifts the spirits as they say.

Blimey it sounds as though you have an awful lot to do re opening up your garden! Good luck with that, please tell us how you are progressing. Is it just you and Mrs. Pompa doing all the donkey work?

Take care wine

Lona Thu 26-Mar-15 18:08:43

pompa I've only just seen this thread and I'm very glad that you are feeling a bit better and haven't left us!
Crikey, we rely on you to make us giggle and sometimes blush

Don't you dare go off!!
sunshine

MiniMouse Thu 26-Mar-15 17:23:24

Good to see you back here pompa smile

pompa Thu 26-Mar-15 17:11:54

Thanks for the supportive comments etc. Starting to come back to normality now (well as normal as I ever am).

Better weather has enabled me to get a lot done in the garden and I feel that I have achieved my personal targets. We have offered to open our garden up for the local U3A group in June, not well planned, as we are on holiday the two weeks before. Lots of stuff to be done to make the garden presentable. Lawn has been re-seeded, beds still need clearing, summer house and garage needs painting. Need to plan some bedding that will be flowering mid June.

We have also had some problems relating to our daughters relationship, it hasn't been solved, they have agreed to try to resolve the situation, so we shall see, but at least DD seems much happier that she did a few weeks ago. Also had man flu, thanks to DW.

PRINTMISS Tue 17-Mar-15 09:20:29

Oh dear! Pompa we just cannot have that at all, please come back to us. Let us help if we can, come on write it all down so that we can share. Please do not desert us when Spring is here and the daffodils are blooming just for you.