Gransnet forums

Grandads' shed

Invitation?

(15 Posts)
Nanadogsbody Fri 21-Sep-12 08:52:51

MrDog spent much of yesterday afternoon tidying out his shed. I was kept informed of his progress with regular updates. He must have mistaken my absentminded grunts at these updatses for signs of interest as I was issued with an invitation to 'come and see how tidy it is now'!

Is he mistaking me for someone who gives a damn....hmm?

Ella46 Fri 21-Sep-12 09:02:41

Can you imagine if you did it back?....."Come and see how well I've made the bed.......Look how clean the washing is.. etc.
grin

Notsogrand Fri 21-Sep-12 09:12:31

They like to seek approval for things we do automatically don't they?

Invite him to admire the bathroom next time you bleach/scrub/wipe/tidy it. Point out the absence of skid marks in the pan, the hair free plug holes and the mirror free of toothpaste specks. Stand back and wait for applause. smile

tanith Fri 21-Sep-12 09:15:55

Emptying the dishwasher is apparently a mentionable activity if its carried out by the man of the house..grin

kittylester Fri 21-Sep-12 09:26:36

Mine does the dishwasher and cleans his own toilet (he uses the shower room one, I use our bathroom) but I can relate to the shed tale and it lasts for months, as in 'someone's made a mess of my tidy space'

And, should he cook, we never have the correct implements and the resulting meals are always 'one of my specials!!'

Nanadogsbody Fri 21-Sep-12 09:27:06

Oh how all this is so familiar! I do so love GNetters as I now realise my life is quite normal! Do you think it's a gene on their Y chromosome or it is that their besotted mothers over-praised them? confused

Nature or nurture?

Ana Fri 21-Sep-12 11:14:24

I get "I've washed up for you" or "I've cleaned the kitchen floor for you"! FOR ME??? confused

specki4eyes Fri 21-Sep-12 21:54:41

How about "I got your washing in". GRR!

merlotgran Fri 21-Sep-12 22:21:28

My DH's shed workshop is his haven. He often expects me to admire how he's arranged things, swept the floor, put up a shelf. I don't mind smile I love his shed. It's where he repairs the hoover, hedge trimmer, ancient lawnmower, modifies chicken coops and most of all, KEEPS OUT FROM UNDER MY FEET grin

Nanadogsbody Fri 21-Sep-12 22:46:32

Yes, it was peaceful yesterday afternoon when he was gainfully occupied I must admit merlot. Now he's looking for something to do and I sense a project coming on...he's been eyeing up the old water feature tonight. Frogs watch out!

merlotgran Fri 21-Sep-12 23:07:42

My grandpa practically lived in his shed. As children we would lock him in and push bits of bread through a hole in the door so he wouldn't starve! He always went along with the game. My DH was totally on the same wavelength and taught Grandpa to weld at the ripe old age of 86. When Grandpa died he left all his tools to DH. They're still with us and some are still in use.

Ana Fri 21-Sep-12 23:28:04

That's a lovely story, merlot! smile

RINKY Fri 21-Sep-12 23:46:39

Yes it is.loverly.

kittylester Sat 22-Sep-12 08:14:13

This has reminded me about my grandfather's shed which he let me tidy for himgrin.

He worked for LMS and the shed door had a sign saying 'Please do not use while the train us standing at the station'. I'd love to know how he got that home with no one spotting it!

Daman Fri 19-Oct-12 14:01:52

If we go back to prehistoric times (before 1960), men brought the food and the means for shelter and warmth, and the women looked after and processed it all.

There was a mutual dependence.

Since 1960 or thereabouts the woman has become dominant and the man depends on her bringing most of his wellbeing. Hence approval seeking every few minutes.